How long are brake pads and discs supposed to last?

Bill Collector

Got the front ones replaced for $374 at name brand chain starting with Fire about 4 months back. Have driven around 7000 miles since then. Went to get tire rotated at another name brand chain starting with Tire. Following is their diagnosis:

LF Pad = 8
LF Rotor = 1.111

RF Pad = 8
RF Rotor = 1.46

Out of those 7000 miles, 4500 are Uber miles. Do above numbers seem alright? I wonder why rotor measurements are different in left vs. right. BTW, I got the rear brakes done by local mechanic after purchasing parts online. Total cost was less than $200 and pads were even ceramic!

sometimes its a bit difficult to go by miles and/or time, because the time to change pads/rotors is heavily dependent on how aggressively you drive and how you brake. in the country or areas with minimal traffic, your brakes can last you for 30k miles or more, but in a place like chicago, with all the interesting traffic patterns, you could wear pads out in as little as 10k.
the best thing to do is check on the pad width through your rim, and also once in a while run your finger on the rotor (when parked and cool) to see how smooth it is. as the pads wear, they get thinner, and the rotor surfaces begin to get warped if the pads get too thin.

Taxi Driver in Arizona

Depends on your driving style and the kind of driving you do.

Cab work, which is what you're doing with U/L, involves lots of stop and go, which wears out your pads faster.

Cost of doing business.

BYW, your tires and all suspension parts will wear out much faster driving U/L too.

observer

Got the front ones replaced for $374 at name brand chain starting with Fire about 4 months back. Have driven around 7000 miles since then. Went to get tire rotated at another name brand chain starting with Tire. Following is their diagnosis:

LF Pad = 8
LF Rotor = 1.111

RF Pad = 8
RF Rotor = 1.46

Out of those 7000 miles, 4500 are Uber miles. Do above numbers seem alright? I wonder why rotor measurements are different in left vs. right. BTW, I got the rear brakes done by local mechanic after purchasing parts online. Total cost was less than $200 and pads were even ceramic!
Your rear brakes maybe faulty causing you to only brake with the front, wearing them out prematurely.

Bill Collector

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My brake pads are past 100k miles and they still have decent life left in them, shop said 150-200k was the normal life on them. Brake pad life varies dramatically by vehicle and conditions.
Wow.. That's awesome... One less thing to worry about less often.

observer

Your rear brakes maybe faulty causing you to only brake with the front, wearing them out prematurely.
Let me clarify that a little. Your rear brakes are probably fine. It's probably your master cylinder that is not properly working. It is leaking through the rear section and only working with the front section.

elelegido

LF Pad = 8
LF Rotor = 1.111

RF Pad = 8
RF Rotor = 1.46

Disc measurements - 1.111 and 1.46 what?

LAuberX

I'd say the measurements are wrong. I never measure rotors unless the pads are below 2 mm. I usually have them turned once, then replace them with GOOD rotors, not the cheapest I can find. Cheap ain't good, and good ain't cheap.

don't worry about the rotor measurements... If you put on new rotors 7,000 miles ago they are fine.

specs:

Brake Rotor Limits Braking Rotor Rotor Thickness Minimum Rotor Thickness Rotor Thickness Variation Rotor Runout*
Front Rotor - Disc/Drum Brakes (TRW) 27.87–28.13 mm 1.097-1.107 in. 25.3 mm 0.996 in. 0.009 mm 0.0004 in. 0.035 mm 0.0014 in.
Front Rotor - Disc/Disc Brakes (Teves) 27.90–28.10 mm 1.098-1.106 in. 25.3 mm 0.996 in. 0.008 mm 0.0003 in. 0.035 mm 0.0014 in.
Rear Rotor 12.25–12.75 mm 0.482 -0.502 in. 11.25 mm

so one of the measurements is TOO BIG, so most likely a mistake. 1.1" is a NEW rotor.

I drive like an old man, pax love it, smooooooth. my driving style wears out the rear brakes first, usually at 70,000 miles or so in most of my cars.

I prefer OEM factory pads purchased from the dealer (if they gave me 70,000 quiet miles the first time, why not?) my second choice is Wagner ThermoQuiet.

The Prius guys don't need brakes until well over 100,000 miles due to regen braking if they drive smoooooth!

Last edited:

observer

Did you change calipers? Calipers begin to stick after a while. Some times one will stick just a tiny bit longer than the other, causing that side pad to contact rotor longer, wearing that side down faster.

It's best to change calipers in pairs.

Bill Collector

Did you change calipers? Calipers begin to stick after a while. Some times one will stick just a tiny bit longer than the other, causing that side pad to contact rotor longer, wearing that side down faster.

It's best to change calipers in pairs.
No.. Calipers were not changed.. Maybe I should buy parts online and go to local mechanic.. Thanks for the suggestion.

rtaatl

I have a 2014 Chrysler 300 with 133k miles and haven't had to perform any brake work either so needless to say it can last a while under the right conditions.

Bill Collector

Compared to mine, your 2014 model still got a young body.. Mine has old body and soul... Snow and salt probably deteriorate body faster in Midwest.

LAuberX

a NEW rotor for that vehicle measures 1.107"

It can't get bigger after 7,000 miles.

so the rotors are still like new (the 1.111 measurement was close!)

the 1.46 measurement was a mistake.

observer

No.. Calipers were not changed.. Maybe I should buy parts online and go to local mechanic.. Thanks for the suggestion.
When you get a minute turn on your van and push on the brake pedal, if it goes down slowly, you either have air in the brake lines or a bad master cylinder.

I had same problem with my Golf that you did. I wore out three sets of front pads and the rear shoes were still good.

I mentioned that to a mechanic and he stepped on the pedal, it went down slowly. He told me to change the master cylinder, that one of the rear seals was leaking by causing car to stop only with front brakes.

Sure enough the pads are lasting a LOT longer and there is a NOTICEABLE difference in braking power.