• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

How little you can expect to get paid doing rideshare.

TheDevilisaParttimer

Just a monkey job, by your own logic.
Post automatically merged:

TheDevilIsATroll
You’re absolutely right actually, at the time we was in the Great Recession so my employer under paid me and kept adding to my responsibilities.

When I finally said enough is enough I left and it took 3 people to replace me and the office was still in shambles for a few months. Btw my boss was demoted 2 weeks after I left too.

I prayed for God to guide me and started learning more and more trades and skills. Fast forward to today and I’m at a good paying job with benefits. I’m still not paid my worth in my opinion, working toward starting my own company.

I never disrespected you so please treat respect with respect 2fiddymile. Especially if your going to wear my costume 😉

Ssgcraig

In a typical hour you may have passengers in your car for 30 minutes. And in most cities you'll average around 15-20 mph. Using LA's $0.60-per-mile rate, a driver averaging 20 mph for 30 minutes would earn $6 in mileage charges and about $6 in per-minute charges. So $12 gross before all car and other related expenses are taken into consideration. AAA and the IRS both estimate that the average cost per mile for driving in America (including all types of passenger cars) comes to around $0.55 per mile. So, if we lower that to $0.45 a mile, in this example the driver would have incurred approximately $4.50 in expenses, netting himself a grand total of $7.50 for an hour of work.

I just look at the end of my time Ubering how much I spent in gas and how much I earned. I usually use 3/4 tank of gas (10 gallons) and make about $250.

IRS gives you a deduction this year of $.58 a mile.

How little can I expect to make? 6 hours $250, I'll take it. Markets are different, CA is getting porked with gas being so expensive.

TheDevilisaParttimer

I just look at the end of my time Ubering how much I spent in gas and how much I earned. I usually use 3/4 tank of gas (10 gallons) and make about $250.

IRS gives you a deduction this year of $.58 a mile.

How little can I expect to make? 6 hours $250, I'll take it. Markets are different, CA is getting porked with gas being so expensive.
I’m surprised CA drivers aren’t rioting. They get paid the same amount as us drivers here in Georgia. Gas there is more expensive and their cost of living is like 4x ours.

RabbleRouser

I guess it's what YOU MAKE of it. I love being a taxi driver.... It's uber that screwed everything up.

Now we got to deal with entitled snowflakes.

Where is the auxiliary cord, where's your water, where's your mints, and can you please stop off at the grocery store I have to do some shopping you can wait.
Geez u sound like my dad “it's what YOU MAKE of it.”
He also likes the 3Ps, patience patience patience

Ssgcraig

I’m surprised CA drivers aren’t rioting. They get paid the same amount as us drivers here in Georgia. Gas there is more expensive and their cost of living is like 4x ours.
Big time, I hear close to $4 a gallon! We are $2.70ish here. Big difference and get the same pay.

Ubermcbc

In a typical hour you may have passengers in your car for 30 minutes. And in most cities you'll average around 15-20 mph. Using LA's $0.60-per-mile rate, a driver averaging 20 mph for 30 minutes would earn $6 in mileage charges and about $6 in per-minute charges. So $12 gross before all car and other related expenses are taken into consideration. AAA and the IRS both estimate that the average cost per mile for driving in America (including all types of passenger cars) comes to around $0.55 per mile. So, if we lower that to $0.45 a mile, in this example the driver would have incurred approximately $4.50 in expenses, netting himself a grand total of $7.50 for an hour of work.

Bingo. You got that right. Basically not all but majority of rideshare drivers are exchanging their vehicles equity, daily expenses and health into quick cash. Sounds like a pawn shop.

Disgusted Driver

I think it's a losing proposition for most BUT I can't stand it when people ruin their argument by using ther IRS figure for mileage cost or something similar. I drive a Toyota Avalon bought brand new and on the high end it might have cost me .30 a mile to operate.

Matt Uterak

I’ve made $140,000/yr and I’ve made $6,000/yr.

If one has an IQ over 100, and is willing to work 60-70 hours a week, has a good attitude, there are few reasons other than geography that would prevent one from obtaining a career paying more than $100,000 per year.

The attraction of rideshare is easy to see. No boss, no obligation. But, the same people who are attracted to no accountability are likely the people who aren’t hard workers.

JamesBond008

Wow, Uber is a low paying job. Thanks for telling us! Who new on this forum that was the case.

Fozzie

Taxi job is not low-skill. You got to know your Market. Most people can't make it in this job cuz they're not smart enough to use their brain.
ROFLMAO. What skill is required to drive a taxi? If you have a driver's license, can pass a basic background check and have the money to rent a car, you're in! Doesn't sound like rocket science to me...

First of all if you rely on the app to give you the jobs and follow what they give you you will not make good money at this job. They're putting you in positions where is they want you to be at regardless if there's any rides there or not. They can care less if you sit in one place waiting for the Ping to come through.
Rideshare drivers rely on an app for business. It's how our business is marketed. Cabbies paint their cars bright ass yellow or orange and put huge signs on their roof to advertise their business. LOL

Are you smart enough to stay out past at 2:30 Bar Crawl to catch the first airport rides early in the morning?
Nope. When the drunkards are out at 2am I'm still in bed asleep. I wake up in time to catch the morning airport runs, and probably head home before you.

Are you smart enough to know that there is more money on the outskirts of a event than there is waiting in traffic getting paid by the minute even if it is the surge.
Your business is different from ours. I don't make money off of events. If you enjoy sitting in traffic, enjoy!

Are you smart enough to sit in residential areas before the bars start to pick up and not sitting at the bars waiting for people to leave?
When the bars are picking up I'm either at home sleeping or in those bars having fun. How much fun is it sitting in your bright ass yellow car watching me party with friends?

A low-skill job by no means is this job. If you think it is obviously you probably not making good money and or you don't even drive anymore because you can't make it.
If driving a cab is so wonderful, why has your business dwindled since the advent of rideshare? I often see posts from disgruntled cabbies who are pissed because their business model changed and they can't keep up. I rarely see rideshare drivers say "hmmm... I wonder if I have what it takes to drive a cab?"

I drive rideshare part time, no nights, weekends or holidays. If I'm at an event, I'm enjoying it, not scraping for business, hoping to stay alive. I don't have to rent my vehicle, load groceries or luggage. I come and go as I please, take off early if the skies are blue, and go on vacation without worrying about vehicle rental.

I also make as much as a cabbie.

You?

Luckily I don't live in LA, so their numbers don't apply to me. Let's look at my numbers...

Yesterday I left the house at 4 am, and returned at 8:30 am. I did stuff around the house until 12:30 pm, then took a couple of runs, returning home at 2 pm. 4.5 hrs + 1.5 hrs = 6 hrs worked

At the end of the day I deposited $165 from Lyft and $65 from Uber. TOTAL: $230

I top off my gas tank every morning. This morning it cost $21. (i.e. $21 worth of gas was used yesterday)

Tires will last until the car is flipped in a few months. Brakes are new and will also last until the car is gone. Oil changes are included for free. Driving 200 miles yesterday may have depreciated my vehicle value, but it wasn't significant enough to offset earnings.

What I'm doing works for me. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:

W00dbutcher

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not in a yellow cab. (black car service)

Here again use the app to your advantage and not be a mindless Sheeple like most.

Ya I guess $1400 for a week IS pretty low.....

800 from Uber the rest personal clients.

Dont assume every taxi is yellow....

Fozzie post yesterday's earnings (screan shot) your numbers don't add up.

Last edited:

Fozzie

Not in a yellow cab. (black car service)

Here again use the app to your advantage and not be a mindless Sheeple like most.

Ya I guess $1400 for a week IS pretty low.....

800 from Uber the rest personal clients.

Dont assume every taxi is yellow....
If you're offering black car service, you're in a different business altogether. Not sure why you're so hostile towards rideshare drivers trying to earn an honest living.

$1,400 /wk is a decent living wage for most people, but it really depends on the job you do and the number of hours you need to work to earn that. I'm not going to work 80 hrs a week for that, but whatever works for you.

W00dbutcher

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not hostle.... I do both X and Black. Maybe my sunny disposition is hard to relay on the net without rainbow and unicorn emojis? Dunno.

About those screanshots? And I don't work 80 hours. Try 60 tops

MiamiKid

Taxi driving was high skill before technology made it low skill. You had to find the people. You had to find the address. Then the other address the pax was going to. You had to know what time to sit at the hotels. The airport.
Now, get a ping. Follow nav to the ping. Follow nav to destination. Dumb work for dumb people.
Sorry, have always considered taxi driving lower skill.

And do not understand why they feel entitled to higher skilled pay?

TwoFiddyMile

Sorry, have always considered taxi driving lower skill.

And do not understand why they feel entitled to higher skilled pay?
you clearly don't understand taxi driving. There's no pay in taxi driving. You rent or own the equipment, and then it's up to you to be skillful enough to locate the cash paying people... or else the people with low skill and up elsewhere. But I'm not sure you're bright enough to understand that or grock it in its essence.

a top cab driver is much like a top salesman. It's a commission-only business. The bottom salesman leave and pump gas because they can't make any money.