How is Hampton Inn Downtown South/Medical Center

JimKE

at 43 Columbia Street?

Attending a high school graduation at Dr. Phillips Performing Arts Center, and this seems close by.

Is it a decent area -- or an area to avoid?

If it's not good, are there good choices nearby? If not, we'll stay out by UCF, because we have another one there!

Lawlet91

It’s fine as long as your not going across I-4 to the west. The better general hotel to stay at nearby is the doubletree Orlando at 60 s Ivanhoe since most ways you can stray from there is less risky

Stevie The magic Unicorn

I know lawlet beat me to it but...

Don't cross I-4

Since i'm guessing you already have the hotel booked (based on graduation dates for the area)

There's tons of food (lunch and dinner options) in and around the performing arts center, that's where i would plan those meals.

That hotel has complementary breakfast so win/win there.

Daylight hours you should be fine just walking around, just don't cross I-4

Nighttime i would get a paid ride back to the hotel, Also a good idea if you can't stand up straight or walk straight following festivities downtown. A mile when your tipsy in the dark is a hilariously bad idea with Florida drivers.

Dicking with parking will take longer and ultimately be more expensive than just dropping $10.00 for a taxi/uber ride back and tipping.

Just remember... Don't cross I-4

PS
Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4 Don't cross I-4

JimKE

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys! I appreciate the quick responses.

I've driven I-4 a lot, so I'm not worried about that.

And Orange Blossom Trail sounds like a nice scenic walk. Are the orange trees in bloom? Is it anything like Mist Trail in Yosemite? Naw, probably no waterfall...right?

Seriously, though, we're not going to be partying in the area. We have a Noon graduation at UCF and then a 7 PM graduation at Dr. Phillips Center -- and us old farts don't have tickets for the 7 PM event.

After that, I think the girls are going to have a dinner somewhere between Jacksonville and Marco Island. Those plans are a little up in the air, but I'm actually expecting Disney Springs or I-Drive for a late dinner. It's gonna be like a shit Pool ride!

Stevie The magic Unicorn

I've driven I-4 a lot, so I'm not worried about that.
It's not DRIVING I-4 your worried about, it's the hood on the other side of I-4 that we are worried about. So don't go to the other side of I-4.

And Orange Blossom Trail sounds like a nice scenic walk. Are the orange trees in bloom? Is it anything like Mist Trail in Yosemite? Naw, probably no waterfall...right?

And i can't tell if your a troll... This actually made me laugh.

Top 3 news stories for OBT (orlandoean for orange blossom trail)

2 Bodies Found Off Orange Blossom Trail Near Apopka
SWAT team searches for 'suspects' near OBT hotel
Lyft driver accused of hitting woman after she wouldn't give her a 5 ...

As for dinner, there's tons of great options near Dr. Phillips center i recommend. Basically every other place on Orange ave between Jefferson and 408. Mexican, sushi, Colombian, beer, ect ect.

I-drive has every restaurant chain known to man (and 3 Denny's) Disney springs is.. well... a giant outdoor Disney shopping mall. So the food has the Disney price tag to go with the Disney quality.

My honest advice is to just eat downtown at the places locals go.
(whalburgers however is a ripoff, sorry Marky Mark)

Last edited:

JimKE

It's not DRIVING I-4 your worried about, it's the hood on the other side of I-4 that we are worried about. So don't go to the other side of I-4.

And i can't tell if your a troll... This actually made me laugh.

Top 3 news stories for OBT (orlandoean for orange blossom trail)
Yeah Mears, I might be trollin' just a little bit!

Although...I do remember driving from Orlando to UF back in the day when the orange blossoms were in bloom. The aroma along 441 around Leesburg and Tavares was more magical than anything at WDW!
As for dinner, there's tons of great options near Dr. Phillips center i recommend. Basically every other place on Orange ave between Jefferson and 408. Mexican, sushi, Colombian, beer, ect ect.
Thanks for those. I'm not 100% that we're going to keep the Hampton reservation, but this is great info if we do.

I-drive has every restaurant chain known to man (and 3 Denny's) Disney springs is.. well... a giant outdoor Disney shopping mall. So the food has the Disney price tag to go with the Disney quality.
We're very familiar with the general WDW area. Used to be DVC owners in the early days and went to WDW 3-4 times a year for years when Girlie was young. If I had my choice, we'd go to Columbia in Celebration, but it's not my party.

The mom of the graduate is making those plans, but she's very busy, so everything is up in the air right now. Also, I think the girl herself will probably make the choice and what an 18 y/o might love could possibly be a little different from what a parent would choose. The 4 girls involved are all high level competitive figure skaters, so Sweet Tomatoes would not be out of the question, lol! The grad actually lives out west of Orlando somewhere, so no telling where we'll end up.

Thanks again for the help, guys!

New Uber

In regards to west of I-4. I got a pickup request there to pickup a female. When I got there I saw no female. Just one creepy looking dude. CANCEL. I left. I'm sorry, but not risking my life for a potential $3.00

JimKE

Just FYI, you guys scared me off!

Just kidding, but I did book another hotel out by UCF. No free breakfast, but no $15 per night parking fee either, so it works out about $50 per night cheaper (x2 rooms x2 nights).

I know it's way east, but we're from Miami so we're used to driving 25 miles across town.

Thanks again for the help.

New Uber

The Hampton Inn you mentioned is fine. There's also An Embassy Suites Downtown, a Residence Inn or 2 And the Grand Bohemian.