1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

How impactful is your driving record on getting hired ??

Discussion in 'Toronto' started by Kevthegrad, Nov 14, 2017 at 9:53 AM.

1. Kevthegrad

Kevthegrad New Member

I got a (bogus) texting while driving ticket in Jan 2017. Was using text dictation and it mis-heard me so when I straightened my phone to see what the heck it said - I got nailed because I touched my phone. Such bs. Anyway otherwise driving record from past 5 years is clean.

I’m in the midst of onboarding to start driving for Uber and they’ve begun background check. Just curious if my texting ticket is going to exclude me from being accepted ?

2. Deoxlar

Deoxlar Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Let us know. Did you pay for the ticket already?

3. Kevthegrad

Kevthegrad New Member

To be clear this happened on my own time and long before I considered driving for Uber.

I did go to try for early resolution of the ticket wanting the opportunity to talk logic to the court explaining that I wasn’t actually texting. But then the lady there was wickedly mean and made clear I was there to either accept half price ticket and plead guilty immediately or declare I was fighting the ticket and going to trial. So I was flustered and accepted the reduced fine and just put it behind me. I had lost my home to a house fire a month before the court date and just didn’t have the mental stamina to go through with fighting the ticket.

Anyway my question is whether having a texting while driving ticket from Jan 2017 going to prevent me from getting hired.

LAS0023 and Deoxlar like this.
  4. Deoxlar

Deoxlar Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    No it shouldn't

5. TdotUber

TdotUber Active Member

States in uber policy as I recall, “can’t have more then 3 minor driving violation in the last three years and/or any 1 major violation (dui, suspension, etc)

Yours will fall into minor...

Kevthegrad likes this.

6. Kevthegrad

Kevthegrad New Member

Thanks appreciate the info.

Hey another question and I’ll finally shut up. Where on the board can I find definitions or explanations? I keep seeing people refer to surge and smart things to do or not do during surge. I’m wanting to immerse myself in all of this and really learn before I start. Where is the best place or forum to spend time to really learn the lingo and tips.

7. Kobe_bean

Kobe_bean Well-Known Member

you can go through this board, but most of the forum is preety much useless. The forum is full trolls posting dumb and irrelvant crap. that being siad, there is nothing to learn when it comes to driving for uber. Uber will hire anyone and everyone and thereofre, you have nothing to worry about. to answer your question, surge is when demand exceeds supply and thus cuasing the price of a ride to increase. It hardly every happens in the GTA as the market is fully saturated. during surge, highlighted portion of the map will turn to reddish color. the darker the color, the bigger the surge.

Kevthegrad likes this.
  8. dmoney155

dmoney155 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I treat uber like lottery... sometimes you get juicy rides, sometimes you don't. Have fun doing it, don't expect to break a bank... as with any gambling establishment, the house always wins... in this case uber :) .

Santa and Kevthegrad like this.
  9. Kevthegrad

Kevthegrad New Member

Ok. So how long from when they started your background check before you were on the road ?

10. Santa

Santa Well-Known Member

Usually takes about couple of weeks but if you go to any of the offices, they might expedite the process or maybe not. You really don't know what goes on with Uber.

Just take it easy, read this forum and it'll help you. Welcome to the family of broken dreams and promises. Lol. Just kidding ..:cool:

Kevthegrad likes this.
  11. dmoney155

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Mine was day or two go get to drive in GTA, another week or so to get the PTC which gets you driving in Toronto. That was last spring.

12. Kevthegrad

Kevthegrad New Member

Ok I’ll ask. What’s the PTC!? Lol. What do you mean between the day or two to drive in GTA versus another week to get the PTC which gets me driving in Toronto - didn’t you say it was a day or two ? I’m so sorry. Just very interested and trying to learn.

13. Myxx

Myxx Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Welcome to Uber,,, where you use your own car to try and make a Walmart Wage
    [​IMG]

EJ974 likes this.
  14. dmoney155

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Np, so if you read their site, you will notice that some place the municipality actually regulates the ride share. PTC = Private Transportation Company.... it's a license that allows you to operate in their municipality. Uber will submit the application on your behalf, and in exchange you drive for them adhering to certain rules, such as year of vehicle, winter tires, etc. You can read details on Toronto municipal website. I believe Mississauga, Barrie, and Niagara Falls have their own. Everything else isn't really regulated.

By GTA i mean anything north of steels.

Kevthegrad likes this.
  15. Kevthegrad

Kevthegrad New Member

Never mind I found it !! Sorry to keep asking dumb questions.

16. Weekend Warrior

Weekend Warrior Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Submitted Background check on a Sunday, approved to drive** (with PTC) on Thursday.

**I drove for Uber previously (2015, before regulations).

Kevthegrad likes this.
  17. Boaty McBoatface

Boaty McBoatface New Member

please dont get hired. there's too much competition

18. dmoney155

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Oh Boaty... share the ride share lol. I welcome the fellow driver.

Kevthegrad likes this.
  19. MUGATS

MUGATS Moderator Moderator

First off.... Welcome.

This forum is generally for Toronto issues but there is a forum on the board with tips for new drivers.