• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

How has Uber changed your life?

Ian Reid

Hi everyone,

I'm a filmmaker in Washington DC. My company (Distant Moon Media) and I are working with George Mason University on the pilot episode of a documentary web series about new technologies and their impact on society. The pilot episode is about "Ride sharing" technologies like Uber and Lyft and we're looking for stories (good or bad, but preferably inspirational, funny, or exciting) about how becoming an Uber/Lyft driver has changed your life.

If you're interested in having your story featured in this show, please share your story here and we'll contact you! Or if you prefer to be more private with your story, please consider PMing me and we can chat there!

Thanks so much! Looking forward to meeting you all and hearing your stories!
-Ian Reid

p.s. - If this isn't the right thread to post this sort of thing, my apologies. Please feel free to move it wherever is more appropriate!

ATX 22

You won't find many inspirational driver stories from anyone who has endured multiple rate cuts, had their account deactivated due to poor customer ratings, (which is totally random and based on the mood of the passenger), had their pay taken from their account for work completed because of a bogus passenger complaint, shorted on "guarantees" because Uber says their myriad of terms weren't met, and when one asks Uber to provide proof, none is supplied. Drivers who have been cursed at, cars thrown up in, vandalized and generally treated with less and less respect as rates continue to be depressed.
There is no feel good story here. What would be helpful is documenting what a tremendous lie the "sharing economy" is. These parasitic companies are nothing short of criminal. If you want to start by exposing them as such, you will find plenty of information in this forum, and you would be doing a public service.

Ziggy

Ian Reid ... I agree with ATX 22 ... A documentary showing the exploitation of drivers (partners) of Uber & Lyft may open the eyes of potential new drivers before they buy new cars just to drive for Uber/Lyft. ... maybe a documentary akin to "An Inconvenient Truth" for the Sharing Economy

Some of the highlights of our tenure driving for Uber:
  • In the past 12 months, I've seen 5 pay cuts (3 fare decreases & 2 Uber commission increases)
  • 8 months ago, I averaged 4-5 trips in 8 hours earning approx. $250/day (prior to expenses); during the past 3 months I've been hard pressed to get 2 trips in 8 hours or earn $100/day. Bear in mind, my primary staging area and hours I drive has not changed dramatically in the past 12 months; additionally, there are not an abundance of other cars in the immediate vicinity.
  • In October 2015, Uber gave a $2,000/weekend guarantee to drivers from other cities to drive in Austin during ACL and make 7 trips to get the $2K. The $2K guarantee was not given to Austin local drivers; and typically when an out-of-town driver was parked next to an Austin driver waiting for a trip, the non-Austin drivers got the trip instead of the Austin drivers (presumably to prevent Uber from having to pay money out of pocket to cover the $2K/weekend guarantee. *All Austin drivers I've spoken with made more money driving the week prior to ACL than the weeks of ACL; assumably due to influx of non-Austin drivers getting the $2K/weekend guarantee
  • Prior to October 2015, UberSelect (in Austin) consisted of premium cars (Lexus, BMW, MBenz, etc). However, 1 week prior to ACL, Uber Austin changed the requirements for Select so that any car with leather interior was qualified to p/u Select pax ... in other words now less than premium cars (Accord, Prius, Mini Cooper, Dodge Caravan, etc) were picking up Select pax simply because they have leather interiors. This dramatically cut into the earning potential for the drivers who owned a premium car; and lowered the standard of service to the pax that were expecting something above X (https://newsroom.uber.com/us-california/high-end-meets-lower-cost-with-uberselect/)
  • Safe Ride Fee (SRF) - as of today, the Uber website states that the Safe Ride Fee (paid by pax) is $1 for all rides (https://newsroom.uber.com/uber-safe-rides-fee/) ... however, SRF has increased significantly in most cities and the increased SRF coincided with a rate drop in 100+ cities 2 weeks ago. In Austin, SRF is $1.30, $1.40 or $2.40 based on where the ride originates from ... but I'm not sure it is spelled out anywhere for either drivers or, more importantly, for passenger who end up paying the SRF.
  • Fares were decreased by Uber two weeks ago & SRF was increased at virtually the same time ... the end result of these changes assured that the drivers would make less money, the passenger would pay about the same for short trips and a bit less for longer trips, and Uber would make the same or more depending on the length of the trip.
  • Probably the biggest injustice, bar none, is what Uber did to Detroit drivers; we were all appalled that Detroit drivers were only making a paltry $0.75/mi (SRF $1) prior to the rate cuts 2 weeks ago. But after the rate cut Detroit drivers are only making $0.30/mi (SRF $2.50) ... so to the pax the fare looks about the same now compared to prior (because the SRF went from $1 to $2.50) and Uber pockets the SRF doesn't go to the driver; Uber makes essentially the same on trips because they increased the SRF. To quote Uber "This fee supports the increased costs associated with our continued efforts to ensure the safest platform for Uber riders and drivers. Those include Federal, state and local background checks, regular motor vehicle screenings, driver safety education, current and future development of safety features in the app, and more. In the U.S., the Safe Rides Fee is always $1 USD. In Canada, it is $1 CAD." It's interesting to note that no extra safety features have been added to the rider or driver app ... and drivers didn't have another background check, car inspection, etc. And one could argue that the cost of Uber's driver background check is no more than $200 tops ... but to-date my pax have contributed over $2,500 for my background check, there was no vehicle inspection ... and if I didn't have a question that I wanted answered from a live person before I started driving, I likely would have never seen anyone at Uber before I was given the green light to drive.
  • Uber staff told the City of Austin that there are 10,000 Uber drivers in Austin; but Uber continues to recruit drivers as if there is a huge shortage of drivers. The only shortage at this point is a shortage of passengers ... as stated before, I went from 4-5 Select trips per 8 hours to 1-2 trips per 8 hours (and now I have 3 classes of service - XL, Select, Lux). On any given day, I will see 10-20+ ads for Uber drivers online; but I rarely, if ever, see an ad promoting Uber to passengers. It's not uncommon for drivers to sit at the airport and wait 3-6 hours to get a single ride (this is the norm, not the exception).
I could go on ... but I strongly suggest you slant the documentary to showcase the lie that Uber has perpetrated on its driver/partners and the riders. Spend enough time in the forum and talking to drivers, you'll find drivers who financed new cars with Uber's lending partners ... just to find out that a few weeks or months later Uber either changed the classification of the car they purchased for Uber so that it no longer qualified for the premium service or Uber simply shutdown service in that city ... leaving those drivers holding the bag for the car lease.

Good luck on your documentary ... I hope it's not a "puff piece" on Uber, that would be a shame.

PM me if you have any questions or you need source/proof (as I have it).

Jvc21

To be a bit fair with uber, it gave me a temporary job when I was down on my luck. It kept me afloat until I found something better. And I left as soon as I could.

People need to realize that uber needs to be used as a 2-3 month temp gig or beer money. You need to get out of it as soon as you enter in. The longer you stay in, the harder it is to get out until it's too late.

Jvc21

Having said, I would NEVER start being a driver for uber at these rates. Not only are you taking money out of your vehicle future value, you actually losing money every mile you drive for it, regardless if you are doing surge or not.

Most of us lie to ourselves saying we are making good money driving or we drive for uber because it's our only job available. I fell into that category because I was too lazy or took self pity on myself for not trying. I truly think that uber wants these kinds of drivers.

I'm not saying I have a fancy job, but at least I know how much money I make per week. The worst part about uber is trying to meet our profit quota to survive.

CODenver26

I drive for lyft, but honestly it's good job to have. When I was short on Rent it came right on time. When I didn't have much, while waiting for pay day that money helped out! It's what you make it to be. It used to be easy to make $60-$100 in 2-4 hours, now I lucky if I make $50 in that same time frame.

ATX 22

I drive for lyft, but honestly it's good job to have. When I was short on Rent it came right on time. When I didn't have much, while waiting for pay day that money helped out! It's what you make it to be. It used to be easy to make $60-$100 in 2-4 hours, now I lucky if I make $50 in that same time frame.
So explain again how it's a good gig to have when it pays half now what it used to?

Ziggy

To be a bit fair with uber, it gave me a temporary job when I was down on my luck. It kept me afloat until I found something better. And I left as soon as I could.

People need to realize that uber needs to be used as a 2-3 month temp gig or beer money. You need to get out of it as soon as you enter in. The longer you stay in, the harder it is to get out until it's too late.
Agreed ... Uber / Lyft is great way to earn beer or diaper money. But Uber sold so many drivers a "bill of goods" and partnered with lenders to give drivers subprime loans (http://goo.gl/RI61XY) for vehicles that they would otherwise not qualified for ... simply for the purpose of driving for Uber.
Uber CEO in recent months has publicly stated that he expects Uber drivers to be part-time drivers; but that doesn't bode well for the drivers that were lured into subprime loans.

Additionally, Uber CEO's goal is to make every car and truck on the road an Uber driver. Which also doesn't bode well for drivers who got a loan via Uber or drivers who are using Uber as a primary income source.

UberReallySucks

Hi everyone,

I'm a filmmaker in Washington DC. My company (Distant Moon Media) and I are working with George Mason University on the pilot episode of a documentary web series about new technologies and their impact on society. The pilot episode is about "Ride sharing" technologies like Uber and Lyft and we're looking for stories (good or bad, but preferably inspirational, funny, or exciting) about how becoming an Uber/Lyft driver has changed your life.

If you're interested in having your story featured in this show, please share your story here and we'll contact you! Or if you prefer to be more private with your story, please consider PMing me and we can chat there!

-Ian Reid

p.s. - If this isn't the right thread to post this sort of thing, my apologies. Please feel free to move it wherever is more appropriate!
With Uber you get to hate people just a little bit more than before. You get to meet the self entitled idiots with smartphones who think you should have been there 2 minutes ago because the App. said so, the clueless; who think tip is included in their 4 dollars fare and and the pukers who take your personal car for a public toilet... all while giving rides for a tech. company that keeps lowering rates so that you the driver make more money.

Greguzzi

Uber is a rolling sweatshop for its drivers. At the rates in most US markets, the drivers are trading in the future value of their cars for cash today, and not much cash at that, for the dubious pleasure of driving entitled strangers around.

Worse, the company lured many in with unrealistic promises of "life-changing" money. The only change the money they are currently offering will make in most drivers's lives is negative. Even worse, Uber takes advantage of desperate people, many of them minorities and recent immigrants, by hooking them up with predatory leases or loans on vehicles that can't afford, such that these folks are now locked out of other options as they scramble for peanut pay to just keep up with the payments due each week. Many of these people are happy about it, though, because they do not really understand that the money they make is little to no more than the cash value of the miles and wear and tear on their cars.

This company is not one that you want to glorify.

ABC123DEF

You won't find many inspirational driver stories from anyone who has endured multiple rate cuts, had their account deactivated due to poor customer ratings, (which is totally random and based on the mood of the passenger), had their pay taken from their account for work completed because of a bogus passenger complaint, shorted on "guarantees" because Uber says their myriad of terms weren't met, and when one asks Uber to provide proof, none is supplied. Drivers who have been cursed at, cars thrown up in, vandalized and generally treated with less and less respect as rates continue to be depressed.
There is no feel good story here. What would be helpful is documenting what a tremendous lie the "sharing economy" is. These parasitic companies are nothing short of criminal. If you want to start by exposing them as such, you will find plenty of information in this forum, and you would be doing a public service.
BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cleansafepolite

Hi everyone,

-Ian Reid

The people you should be asking are taxi drivers or people in the uber lease program..they have lost thier livelyhood and are absolutely miserable..the technology is the focus, and you will probably hail Travis the founder as an inspirational genius..meanwhile common concensus around here is that he is a fascist ruthless bastard who single handedly took what little diginty and profit proffesional drivers had. Uber doesnt deserve happy cherful anecdotes and they certainly dont deserve praise..in china they litterally have free slave labor under the term internship, they have driven drivers in france to commit arson and to riot. They have polititians and media on thier payroll, and they have the lowest rates for paying drivers in cities where unemployment and racial diversity are the highest. The only thing you people cover is how UBER helps people get from point a to point b...Ubers acts of rape and pillage never see the light...save the funny stories for the morning talk shows...and infomercials...the real story is the rape of the American dream.

Last edited:

ATX 22

The people you should be asking are taxi drivers or people in the uber lease program..they have lost thier livelyhood and are absolutely miserable..the technology is the focus, and you will probably hail Travis the founder as an inspirational genius..meanwhile common concensus around here is that he is a fascist ruthless bastard who single handedly to what little diginty and profit proffesional drivers had. Uber doesnt deserve happy cherful anecdotes and the certainly dont deserve praise..in china they litterally have free slave labor under the term internship, they have driven drivers in france to commit arson and to riot. They have polititians and media on thier payroll, and they have the lowest rates for paying drivers in cities where unemployment and racial diversity are the highest. The only thing you people cover is how UBER helps people get from point a to point b...Ubers acts of rape and pillage never see the light...save the funny stories for the morning talk shows...and infomercials...the real story is the rape of the American dream.
50 likes for this one.

Vox Rationis

Hi everyone,

-Ian Reid

"...preferably inspirational, funny, or exciting..."

Ha

Ha ha

Hahahahahahahaha!

Did Travis put you up to this?​

Jvc21

The people you should be asking are taxi drivers or people in the uber lease program..they have lost thier livelyhood and are absolutely miserable..the technology is the focus, and you will probably hail Travis the founder as an inspirational genius..meanwhile common concensus around here is that he is a fascist ruthless bastard who single handedly took what little diginty and profit proffesional drivers had. Uber doesnt deserve happy cherful anecdotes and they certainly dont deserve praise..in china they litterally have free slave labor under the term internship, they have driven drivers in france to commit arson and to riot. They have polititians and media on thier payroll, and they have the lowest rates for paying drivers in cities where unemployment and racial diversity are the highest. The only thing you people cover is how UBER helps people get from point a to point b...Ubers acts of rape and pillage never see the light...save the funny stories for the morning talk shows...and infomercials...the real story is the rape of the American dream.
So...much...WIN!

I can't like this enough!