• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

How Far Will You Go to Pick UP

Batman99

My limit so far has been 13 minutes away.
But recently I had a ride show up that was 25 minutes away.
I took a pass on that one.

CocaColaKid

I did a 15 min one, only cause it was a 2.3 surge... problem is it was a ride to the bank machine and back home, so it was a 5 min trip.

Thankfully he tipped well....

Over 10 min and it's not normally worth my time.

UberGuelph

New to uber and still waiting for the background check. What happens if you turn down the rides far away?

Last edited:

Skorpio

8 min max. Usually take me less time to come at pick up point. Anyone else outside KW. Nope.

If you turn down requests. The confirmate rate gonna decrease and you might receive less requests. Reset once per week.

Mista T

Author
How far you go to pick up depends upon the market. In my market 5-8 mins is standard. In the busier US markets anything over 3 mins gets ignored often by the full timers.

Also learn to read between the lines, when it says 5 mins how long is it really? Time of day and traffic will make a big difference.

Jim2000Uber

I always keep saying that Uber should at least post how long the ride is before accepting a trip that is over 10+ minutes away.
I agree totally!!! I wouldn't mind to go 10 mins to pick up the customer if I knew that customer's destination is 20 min or more

mjhawk

I have done that 25 minute pu, never again. Uber says that that still doesn’t qualify for the long pick up fee, I was in Milton call was to burlington on surge so I went. My limit is 10-13 minutes, if no other cars are around it can take that long to get across town.

Batman99

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm based in Cambridge.
I've had a number of requests lately from Brantford, and it's a 25 minute drive to go there.
I've refused them all, but today just out of curiosity I accepted one. I was wondering if maybe it would be a drive TO Cambridge.
Ends up I pick them up, and it's a 6 KM drive within Brantford.
So about an hour total time, to and from Brantford, plus the gas, for a $6 fare.
That's crazy. Never again.

Does anyone know if there's a way to turn off notifications from a city.

My understanding is acceptance rates matter, so not accepting all from Brantford might become an issue.

SurgeMasterMN

I always keep saying that Uber should at least post how long the ride is before accepting a trip that is over 10+ minutes away.
Well said..

Especially in the early am. If there is a ride a good distance from the airport they should indicate that it is going to the airport. In that case I will drive 10-15 minutes in the opposite direction to fullfill that ride. It seems like a simple answer to fullfilling rides that are way out but we don’t want to risk our resources and time with bunk rides.

Mista T

Author
Well said..

Especially in the early am. If there is a ride a good distance from the airport they should indicate that it is going to the airport. In that case I will drive 10-15 minutes in the opposite direction to fullfill that ride. It seems like a simple answer to fullfilling rides that are way out but we don’t want to risk our resources and time with bunk rides.
Wouldn't that be great? But if they told us what rides are good, then we would assume the rest of them are bad.

I got a ping 16 minutes away yesterday. I was already out in the middle of nowhere, and this was even further out! NOT A CHANCE, I have no idea if they want to come into town or just go to McDonalds. Can't take the chance of getting stuck out in a dead zone.

SurgeMasterMN

Wouldn't that be great? But if they told us what rides are good, then we would assume the rest of them are bad.

I got a ping 16 minutes away yesterday. I was already out in the middle of nowhere, and this was even further out! NOT A CHANCE, I have no idea if they want to come into town or just go to McDonalds. Can't take the chance of getting stuck out in a dead zone.
True but an airport ride is more vital for the customer to get the ride and if the driver knows then it is a go. If it is a crappy ride without an airport indicator oh well it probably wouldn’t be picked up anyway.

Batman99

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Acceptance rates do not matter unless there is a bonus tied to it
Ah, well thats good to know.

I'd just like to not get notifications from that far away, but I can just decline them if it doesnt matter.

Thanks for the info. I've been trying to get that info from Uber support... should be some time within a week or so.

Mista T

Author
Ah, well thats good to know.

I'd just like to not get notifications from that far away, but I can just decline them if it doesnt matter.

Thanks for the info. I've been trying to get that info from Uber support... should be some time within a week or so.
There was a lawsuit in CA a few years ago. Uber was deactivating drivers for hi cancel rates and low accept rates. Drivers sued. Uber claimed that their actions harmed the brand.

Judge ruled that cancels did indeed harm the brand by pissing off customers. But if a driver ignores a request, the pax does not even know they were ignored, therefore the driver has not harmed the brand. Plenty of drivers here brag about their single digit acceptance rates, only accepting surge rides, close rides, etc.

But that's in the States.

We also have legal protection regarding working for multiple companies. In some countries, however, Uber fires drivers if they catch them working for the competition. Don't know how it works in your place.