How far do you drive to start working?

UberDataGeek

Howdy folks. I just started driving with Uber about a month ago. I usually drive a few hours after work 2-3 days per week, with Fridays being my big day. Home is out of the Nashville market, but my day job is in Franklin, so I can usually get a ride pretty quick after leaving work. A typical day will have a ride or two in Franklin, then a ride will eventually take me into Nashville with either an airport ride or a downtown trip.

I haven't driven any weekends yet. My question is this: do most drivers have to drive to a market area before they can start getting rides? If so, how far? And to add to that, is it worth it to drive from my home in Dickson to Nashville on a Saturday for rides? The earliest I'd likely get a ride is Bellevue, which is about 40 miles for me. If it's worth doing, when would be the optimal time to head into Nashville?

Thanks.

RynoHawk

It depends what’s going on. On a Saturday, you can maybe head out about 6 or 7 and catch people heading into town for dinner, bars, etc. maybe 4 or 5 if there’s a hockey game.

UberDataGeek

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was specifically thinking about this weekend. I wonder with St Paddy's Day being on Sunday if there will be a lot of stuff going on Saturday that would make it worth my while to come into town to drive. Strategy tips are appreciated.

Howdy folks. I just started driving with Uber about a month ago. I usually drive a few hours after work 2-3 days per week, with Fridays being my big day. Home is out of the Nashville market, but my day job is in Franklin, so I can usually get a ride pretty quick after leaving work. A typical day will have a ride or two in Franklin, then a ride will eventually take me into Nashville with either an airport ride or a downtown trip.

I haven't driven any weekends yet. My question is this: do most drivers have to drive to a market area before they can start getting rides? If so, how far? And to add to that, is it worth it to drive from my home in Dickson to Nashville on a Saturday for rides? The earliest I'd likely get a ride is Bellevue, which is about 40 miles for me. If it's worth doing, when would be the optimal time to head into Nashville?

Thanks.
I like to Lyft scheduled rides to find any big $$ rides foing my way to get me going. Then go potluck on either rideshare. Uber giving bonuses this weekend so i will stick with Uber during those times

Depends on how you want to spend your time. I live in Cheatham County and drive to Nashville most every day. I am retired, so I spend sunny days at home and drive into town after 6:00 during the week and work until about 1:00 am. I find the streets and interstates to be too crowded to get around during rush hour. I try to start around 3-ish on weekends. If you pick up a fare at Bellevue, they would most likely be going downtown (and it would pay for your drive to work.) In that case, I would start a little earlier, and actually pull over somewhere off the interstate in Bellevue. It won't take you long to get a request, and often on the weekend there is a surge area out that way.

Johnjoe87

Thanks.
Lol, almost every Saturday is dead because it’s so saturated with drivers on weekends... You would have to drive almost all day just to cover your gas or to come out 20-30 bucks ahead if you are lucky...

jarno6006

Lol, almost every Saturday is dead because it’s so saturated with drivers on weekends... You would have to drive almost all day just to cover your gas or to come out 20-30 bucks ahead if you are lucky...
I find it to be exactly opposite of this. I almost always catch a ride to town, but I am only 20 miles out and I always have to turn the app off to even go to the restroom. I have averaged 22 trips in 8 hours over the last 4 Saturdays.