• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

How exactly does Uber Eats insurance work?

Gomar

Are they the primary or secondary insurer when a driver is actively on delivery? I was involved in an accident with someone's food in my car (so phase 3) and after giving a statement and everything to the James River adjuster, the other party's insurance calls me and says JR told them that the former will only cover excess/what my personal insurance won't because I am transporting food rather than people. However, both the eats and rides websites appear to say that the coverage is identical for both besides the fact that eats drivers don't get Uninsured/underinsured motorist bodily injury coverage. I would think thar primary vs secondary would be a pretty important difference to make clear to drivers; it's explicitly stated on both sites that JR is the secondary in period 1 (online between assignments) which seems to imply that they are the primary for periods 2 and 3. https://www.uber.com/newsroom/insurance-for-delivery-partners-operating-on-the-ubereats-app/ Also, is the full text of the JR's policy with Uber publicly available anywhere? I found a version on therideshareguy.com but it's over two years old. My state is California. Thanks in advance.

Jbstevens88

If I was ever in a wreck with only food (not people), I would NEVER actually claim I was delivering food. I would delete the app and proceed as if that food was MY food. I would call my insurance and tell them I was in a wreck. Then depending on who was at fault, go from there.

Launchpad McQuack

I don't have answers for you, but please keep us posted. I am interested in hearing updates on this as you go. It has always been unclear to me whether or not the insurance that Uber provides applies to Uber Eats or only to passenger rides.

Rickos69

I don't have answers for you, but please keep us posted. I am interested in hearing updates on this as you go. It has always been unclear to me whether or not the insurance that Uber provides applies to Uber Eats or only to passenger rides.
The insurance coverage UE provides is an exact match of your private insurance. Whatever coverage you have privately, you have with Uber. It covers you from the moment you accept a ping, till the moment you swipe delivered. I know, I've had to use it.

Seamus

The insurance coverage UE provides is an exact match of your private insurance. Whatever coverage you have privately, you have with Uber. It covers you from the moment you accept a ping, till the moment you swipe delivered. I know, I've had to use it.
Do you buy additional insurance?

Seamus

In NY there isn't even an option of buying rideshare insurance and who knows if "rideshare" insurance even applies to UE since it's technically not "rideshare".

Rickos69

In NY there isn't even an option of buying rideshare insurance and who knows if "rideshare" insurance even applies to UE since it's technically not "rideshare".
I have also heard that delivery is not the same as rideshare.

Uber_Yota_916

If I was ever in a wreck with only food (not people), I would NEVER actually claim I was delivering food. I would delete the app and proceed as if that food was MY food. I would call my insurance and tell them I was in a wreck. Then depending on who was at fault, go from there.
Hopefully the insurance agent doesn’t cross check with Uber and lyft to see if you are on their apps at the time of the accident.

dgates01

Hopefully the insurance agent doesn’t cross check with Uber and lyft to see if you are on their apps at the time of the accident.
That is what I was going to say. Insurance accidents are well-researched by insurance companies. They don't want to pay out if they don't have to. A person is likely to get in trouble if they did something like that.
Post automatically merged:

The only thing that is not matched is the deductible. James River is $1,000. My insurance company, USAA is $200.

Rickos69

That is what I was going to say. Insurance accidents are well-researched by insurance companies. They don't want to pay out if they don't have to. A person is likely to get in trouble if they did something like that.
Post automatically merged:

The only thing that is not matched is the deductible. James River is $1,000. My insurance company, USAA is $200.
That I didn't know. Thanks for the info.