How does this happen?

Uber-blah

IMG_7609.PNG
I should know this but I can't figure out how this happens. Oakland airport queue keeps growing to as high as 140 cars yet the surge doesn't go down.

So how does this work? It looks like high demand and supply happening at the same time. And it's not going away.

Cableguynoe

The 138 in the queue don't know there's a "supposed" surge.

Probably multiple flights arriving at same time and they need more drivers

Uber-blah

That's pretty impressive software if they could do that. There is a thunderstorm right now so maybe? But for their software to estimate probable demand based on delayed flights. That's next level... at least in my eyes.

I live right near the airport. I see the surge come and draw in about 20+ drivers to the queue then the surge disappears and that makes sense. First time I've seen this scenario here.

sthriftybroke

Happens in Detroit all the time. The surge is right beneath the airport and it will even register as a surge on the surge chaser app. But I've never gotten a surge trip from the airport (even when I was getting pings for airport trips and I was like 20 min away because no one was there) and there aren't enough houses to justify an actual surge just south of the airport.

same here in Philadelphia Airport.
The wildlife refuge area was surging 2x+ at 1AM all the times. I guess the deer and goose need a ride to the moon badly.

I think Uber uses that fake surge surrounding high demand area to lure drivers over that area.

We had Lady Gaga concert here for two nights in a row Sun-Mon, but the surge after concert was 2x less, and lasted for about 5 minutes. BUT, the surrounding areas like Walmart, BestBuy were surging 2.5 -3X. According to the facts, Uber wants so save money for the riders by suppressing surges.

I've noticed when I first go online it often shows me a huge surge like just about a five minute ride away from where I am. I know it's baloney because if you watch it for a few more minutes -- like, say, four of them -- it goes away. Just long enough that if I were stupid and had gone quick run to the car and driven over I'd say, damn I missed it... and then say, well I'm out anyway, might as well make $3 driving someone to wal-mart.

ibeam23

I've noticed when I first go online it often shows me a huge surge like just about a five minute ride away from where I am. I know it's baloney because if you watch it for a few more minutes -- like, say, four of them -- it goes away. Just long enough that if I were stupid and had gone quick run to the car and driven over I'd say, damn I missed it... and then say, well I'm out anyway, might as well make $3 driving someone to wal-mart.
Never chase a surge unless you know it's legit and you've gotten surge pings from that area before.

Gibman73

I fell for this stupid maneuver 6 months ago, so ridiculous that the company still pulls this BS. It's probably for a sales tactic at the greenlight hub by OAK. Something to show the gullible green horns why they gotta start driving today, hell they probably even give a noob the deceptive surge rate for a handful of trips to try to get them excited.

Strange Fruit

If I'm in the middle of surge it also goes away in 5 minutes. If they were giving different people different screens we'd know by now. The phrase "dont chase surge" is cuz we know surge doesn't last very long. Who said it's supposed to?

Why when I turn mine on I see no fake surges to lure me. Maybe Uber's algorithm respects me more.

Uberdancer

... it's to get the tough talkin' mucho macho super stupor Uber drivin' ... ... ... duuuuhuhuhuhuuuude migrant taxi cab drivers who have migrated to the ride sharing platforms, who have formed their own secret society who cannot keep a secret, who have formed their own taxi cab companies within the ride sharing platforms, to think they are gaming the system, some sense of movement and command, a sense of accomplishment and worth ...It's to keep them in the "game" and in "gaming" ...

Oooops!!!

Last edited:

Strange Fruit

View attachment 157250 I should know this but I can't figure out how this happens. Oakland airport queue keeps growing to as high as 140 cars yet the surge doesn't go down.

So how does this work? It looks like high demand and supply happening at the same time. And it's not going away.
Was that 5X. There are occasional glitches where it is stuck on 5X, not just at airports. When it's legitimately high like that, few people request rides so it's normal to not get a ping. Any time I have got a ping at SFO with a high surge, the surge is applied. Why would Uber intentionally want drivers where there are no pings? And if there was a lot of action, then a bunch of drivers would get base rate pings from the zone. And if ur really interested, use the rider app and see what surge it shows for that location. I have not heard of one fake surge claimant say they saw no surge on the rider app during a "fake" surge.

Uberdancer

Disinformation is intentionally false or misleading information that is spread in a calculated way to deceive target audiences. The English word, which did not appear in dictionaries until the late-1980s, is a translation of the Russian дезинформация, transliterated as dezinformatsiya. Disinformation is different from misinformation, which is information that is unintentionally false. Misinformation can be used to define disinformation — where disinformation is misinformation that is purposefully and intentionally disseminated in order to deceive.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disinformation

Aharm

Airport has either fake surge or fake amount of people in que lot.

This will backfire though for them eventually when more and more people realize that surge cant be trustworthy at the airport, and they will just assume its all fake and not bother going when there is a real surge going on.

Blue Poodle

Airport has either fake surge or fake amount of people in que lot.

This will backfire though for them eventually when more and more people realize that surge cant be trustworthy at the airport, and they will just assume its all fake and not bother going when there is a real surge going on.

And that's when I will swoop in and take all the rides because everyone thought the surge was fake but it actually wasn't and then I'll be rich!