1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

How Do You Use"Dead Time?"

Discussion in 'Advice' started by Karen Stein, Jan 5, 2017.

1. ginseng41

ginseng41 Well-Known Member

I use the time for all kinds of productive things. I go to the gym, take care of my daily emails, run quick errands. Anything I can do w/ the app on in case a request comes through but that I need to do anyway. This week is still Christmas break and I've been online about 15 hours for only $50 in earnings....BUT I've spent 3 hours at the gym, run 5 or 6 errands and worked 6.5 hours at my very PT job. Maximizing that dead time is an absolute necessity. When students are here and I might only have 10 minutes between rides instead of an hour or two I do work on my laptop, practice language skills on Duolingo and take surveys for money.

SuperStar3000 and Danny3xd like this.
  2. njctuberx

njctuberx Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I contemplate harming myself.

3. Squirming Like A Toad

Squirming Like A Toad Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    I have a small and efficient laptop, sometimes I will park in a place with wifi and do whatever I need to do for my normal jobs.

I also have a handheld MURS/GPRS rig (like CB without the cursing truckers) and you can have fun with that all night. If you can't make money in your downtime, might as well ride your hobby.

4. Rooster06

Rooster06 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    During "dead time" I facebook stalk Karen Stein. I try to conjure ways to woo her and win her affection. When that doesn't work, I enforce corporal punishment on myself, and that is due to me being too naive. I then smoke a Camel non-filter, and plot my revenge. When that doesn't work, I go to the airport FIFO lot, because everything mentioned before was not torture enough. While in the FIFO lot, I look at all the hoopties that Uber has somehow approved. I laugh.

It's then that a black bag is thrown over my head. I'm choking, yet all I can hear is a bunch of durka durka. I receive a blunt object to the head, then another to my kidneys, seconds later. Although I cannot see, stars and visions are swimming through my field of view.

When they take the hood off I see a large group of men who don't speak my native tongue, yet their license plates indicate they are all part of Uber's rental program....

They laugh and point... Then the head Jockey asks me a question: "Durka durkadurka durka, durka durka durka?"

I spit at his feet.
    !*WHACK*!!!!
    I take a board to the side of me head...

!*WHACK*!
    Another board to the head...

He winds up again, and I stand up. He is perplexed...
    Guard to Leader: "Durkadurka, durka durka?"
    Leader to Guard: "Durka!"

At this point, I stand up; untie my hands because the dumbasses used a square not.

Look at the two Durkas and say: "Not today, ISIS!" I smack their heads together like two chocolate oranges at Christmas. I turn to escape and notice my phone sitting on their table. As I run out of that freaky torture chamber, I grab my phone... I have two missed calls from the wife, but more importantly: an Uber request pinging!

Of course I accept the ping, although this dude is 9 minutes away and is a 4.3. SCREW IT! I'm getting out of here!

I look back at my captors... in a way I pitty them... but no time for that now; I have an UBER ride to pick up!!!!

I fight my way back to my car; get in and violate most traffic laws to get to my ride, finally, I'm there.... Yeah... This is going to be awesome! Mountains or airport, I can just feel it.

Well, Nicole gets in... she's going 4 blocks to a wine and painting thing.

Are you f****** serious?

Yep

"Thanks for the ride, you were awesome!"

And now, I'm in rush hour. F.M.L.

On the plus side, now I have plenty of time to think about Karen Stein during my new found "dead time."

5. GetTheCarJames

GetTheCarJames New Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Man, I thought I had a weird sense of humor! Thanks for the laugh! :)

melusine3 and Dback2004 like this.

6. turl686

turl686 Member

I'm aware it's a fake "user" But the "user" claims to be from my city and called it "mid-south." Hence my offer to meet up.

7. Karen Stein

Karen Stein Well-Known Member

Choose between a kitten and a customers' convenience? Kitty wins every time.

8. Jeeves

Jeeves Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Stretching, walking, eating, meditating, talking on phone, surfing the web.

melusine3, SuperStar3000 and Danny3xd like this.
  9. babalu

babalu Active Member

When you have dead time I can meet with you to fill that emptiness :D:D

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    UberAnt39 likes this.
  10. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Well-Known Member

Again, why would they pay and not just read for free? Doesn't make any sense. Not meaning to dismiss your concerns Starbug but it was a fairly innocuous question and I was looking forward to hearing thoughts on the subject but we gotta rehash the huge, corporate conspiracy to, what? Seriously, what is to be gained by uber or lyft having a "shill" embeded? There is no, absolutely no advantage to them to stoke the fires of discontent.

Honestly, please explain this to me, why would they do it? what would they have to gain wasting money on a resource that is freely available in droves?

Asking here. Really. Whole damn forum is full of people looking under beds for communists. And after reading the thread title, was looking forward to the answeres. But gets derailed in post #2 with the never ending and usual witch hunt. Shheesh

SuperStar3000 and Blackout 702 like this.
  11. Danny3xd

Sheesh. and here we go again. We never walked on the moon. Elvis ain't dead.....

12. Danny3xd

13. Danny3xd

I do that Squirming. Works great for reading the news and reading here. There are a bunch of free, turn your phone into a WIFI hotspot apps, too. It's safer and more convenient than driving to mickyD's for wifi. The free ones, with out watching vids, I used about 3 gigs a month but suggest an unlimited plan. Also great for netflix and the like. Oh, and free online courses! There are a ton. My free cell phone from metroPCS came with a free hotspot app. Love it!

Guy was offering me a job and said "we have free wifi in the shop for between runs"
    I said I had wifi in the car" He looked at me like it was crazy.

14. Danny3xd

Guess my answer really is the above ^
    But gotta start doing like you say, Jeeves. Get out and move around a bit. Thanks, Jeeves. Good advice!

Most of this thread had some good information. Thanks all.

Jeeves and SuperStar3000 like this.
  15. DRider85

DRider85 Well-Known Member

What? You can just go to the gym in downtime? You made 50 dollars in 15 hours? How can you still do this if it's that bad for you?

16. Ubergirlzz

Ubergirlzz Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I usually do not have dead time, especially in Los Angeles and Orange County! The phone is always pinging.

However, on the rare occasion that I do have down time, I contemplate why I became a Fuber (taxi) driver. Maybe it's because I'm a little bit insane.

Jeeves and Dback2004 like this.
  17. DRider85

DRider85 Well-Known Member

So you don't have dead time, but do you make less than 400 working 35 hours like StevensyoungerthanJoe?

18. Ubergirlzz

Ubergirlzz Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I only Uber part-time. I've never tried it full-time, but I think I might try an experiment when I get some time off. I'll work an 8-hr. day, for five days in a row (40 hours). And see how much I make.

negeorgia likes this.
  19. Blackout 702

Blackout 702 Well-Known Member

Awesome! Best laugh of the day.

Dback2004 likes this.
  20. Blackout 702

Blackout 702 Well-Known Member

You too?

UberAnt39 likes this.