How do you treat passengers?

How do you treat passengers?

• Offer them chargers, aux cord, candies, help with bags.

• They deserve to get from A to B only.

Results are only viewable after voting.

DrivingForYou

So, it seems there are two camps here when it comes to passenger treatment.

One, are the misanthropes who feel that passengers are low life's, and deserve only to be dragged from point A to point B.

On the otherhand, the drivers who work to provide professional service, and cater to passenger needs by offering things like chargers, aux cord, help with luggage, and even bonuses like a candy or mint.

Which camp are you in?

I provide a professional service to passengers who choose the "budget" travel option.

If you fly on Spirit airlines, you are treated professionally and pay for everything you want beyond a seat on the plane.

If you travel Uber or Lyft, you are treated professionally and pay for everything you want beyond a seat in my car.

If you want amenities, there are premium professional car service and limo companies that provide those at a premium rate.

It has nothing to do with thinking of passengers as low-lifes. It's about providing the service that is requested.

RynoHawk

A to B. I offer an I-phone cord charger and I help with luggage and I'll give a restaurant or nightlife recommendation if you ask, but that's it. We are a no frills service. I don't see a benefit to offering anything else. I would be more willing to offer more for Select/Black/SUV (or Lyft equivalent) because they pay for higher tier car and service.

Raven087

I love the loser drivers who make comments like omg you let them use an aux cord?? Never me.

Having an aux cord is a common thing people have in cars, not just uber drivers. I dont go out of my way to offer mine, but if they ask if I have one, I bring it out and let them use it.

Stop being such tight asses about everything you old grumps

unPat

526700612.245681public.jpeg

I am not giving an aux cord so you can listen to your crappy pandora with ads. I have better music than you do. I never had an aux cord, I always used Bluetooth. I bought one after starting Uber, but stop providing it.

I will not help with luggage unless it's elderly or female but I won't load your 2lbs hand carry on bag. It's matter of courtesy and I am not somebody's bellboy. I might help everyone if it's a select ride. Cheap people expect too much for a cheap ride .

Last edited:

Ezridax

One, are the misanthropes who feel that passengers are low life's, and deserve only to be dragged from point A to point B.

On the otherhand, the drivers who work to provide professional service, and cater to passenger needs by offering things like chargers, aux cord, help with luggage, and even bonuses like a candy or mint.

Which camp are you in?
So wait... If you provide them a safe ride, that's not professional? I keep my car very clean, and I am an excellent driver. Just because I don't give them candy and let them overrun my radio does not make me professional or lacking in cust service.

I do however have single size purel packets available. The fewer people get sick, the less likely I am to get sick.

Dropking

I help with luggage partly because I don't want them banging their suitcases against my car, but mostly because it's the last contact before tip time. Those airport runs are where you get your $5, $10 and $20 tips, often paid in cash.

I provide a charging cable because it helps with tips and ratings.

I do provide tiny airplane waters because it helps with tips and ratings. A case of 100 is about $12 at CostCo.

I do not provide candy because I don't want a liability issue after a passenger chokes to death, nor do I want a hard candy stuck to my leather seats.

Markeezee

Which camp are you in?
First off, you're already making the assumption that just because we prefer giving rides from A to B that we consider these passengers "low-lifes" and are "misanthropes". This somehow reflects that if we are not as accommodating as you, we, the rest of the drivers, somehow feel indignation towards our passengers and are nothing more than just a**holes for simply doing what is necessary, giving rides from point A to B. Your tone intimates a feeling of condescension towards the rest of us because you place a dichotomy that those who simply "drag" passengers from A to B are below those who go up and beyond for their passengers. In essence, you, yourself, already have a particular sentiment towards the rest of us drivers who just do what the job entails--passengers call a ride, we give the ride, we get paid and Lyft gets their cuts. At it's essential form, this is what "ride-sharing" with Uber and Lyft entails. Plain and simple. Those other things in the way of accommodations and amenities are entirely "discretionary", each and every driver chooses to offer them or not.

End of the day, we are paid from giving rides from point A to point B as safely and within the confines of traffic laws and limits. All other things--candies, mints, water, aux cords, etc.--are up to the discretion of each individual drivers if they feel it will boost their ratings and/or mean more tips.

Taxis do not provide the same accommodations as you do or offer amenities and yet they will always make more than us on a per mile/minute basis, yet their cars are run down, smells putrid inside, drivers have little to know sense of directions despite GPS, or do not speak and understand comprehensive English. Do you see how perverse that is? How some drivers will offer and accommodate passengers and yet we make so little in comparison to our taxi or limo counter-part who simply do the "essential" of their duties, giving rides and nothing more.

With this in mind, the latter are reasons why people in this thread have the collective mindset that as Lyft drivers, we will only go as far as give passengers the ride they paid for from A to B. Yes, if they need help with their luggage, help them out, especially if they're elderly or pregnant women or require more assistance due to an injury/handicap or if you are apprehensive of having passengers scuff up your exterior and would rather do it yourself. Aux cords and chargers are pretty much a staple in most cars these days and if a passenger is in need of charging their phone and if they ask politely, most drivers here will be more than willing to accommodate. With aux cords, however, it is a bit discretionary especially the fact that offering it to your passengers makes it seem that they are treating your cars as "theirs" within the time frame of a particular ride, bumping loud and obnoxious music.

Remember: it is YOUR car. You get paid for taking passengers from A to B. Nothing in the Terms and Agreements says that we, drivers, should offer amenities to passengers. We are akin to taxis, giving a ride to passengers and regardless of what Lyft says otherwise that they are merely a "technology company". This "technology company" is dependent on us giving passengers rides and Lyft gets their cut. Period. No matter how you fluff it up. We all here giving passengers rides--and no more.

If you want to offer amenities and accommodate more than what is within the confines of giving a simple ride, then that is wholly "discretionary". It may help your "ratings" (which matters little if you give 5-star service because passengers will rate you low regardless for one reason or another) or help you earn more in tips (which also matters little because you can give 5 straight rides where you offer water and mints and any other things and you'll still see little to nothing in ways of tips). And let me tell you this, I have given simple rides from A to B as quick and safely as possible, I'm hospitable, courteous and polite, offer my car charger when asked politely, I've helped passengers put their possessions in the trunk as a common courtesy, but offered NOTHING in the way of mints, water, candies or offered making additional stops that they didn't ask for, and yet, I get tips every now and then.

Could I be getting more in the way of tips if I made more accommodations and amenities at my financial expense? Perhaps...but it is never a guarantee. Making accommodations and amenities are some drivers' way of "buying" their passengers sentiments for giving them a tip. You're pretty much spending your own money to hopefully get something in financial recompense from them. Whereas if I give them the base ride they've ordered and YET I was given a tip, I see that as a plus, an add-on, for me because I get something extra financially outside the usual fare and all for NOT having to accommodate more than I need to and spending money on amenities.

Again: taxis don't offer accommodations or amenities and yet they'll still make more tips compared to us--and that is the perversity and paradox of it all. Taxis don't have superb customer service nor offer amenities and accommodations and will always make more than us, and yet we Lyft drivers will offer the best in navigation, customer service, hospitality and amenities and make so little.

Please take note that it is nothing to do with pessimism or indignation towards passengers that some of us only offer point A to point B rides with exceptions to helping with luggages, it is just that some of us see past the bullsh*t and are simply being"pragmatic" and "practical" with our duties as Lyft drivers. They pay for a ride and we give them one--anything above that is discretionary to each driver. Each to his own, and personally, it would be nice you don't see the rest of us as "misanthropes" because we are not as liberal with mints and water as you do. We can be polite and courteous drivers without having to bend over backwards to do more than we are confined to.

Last edited: