• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

How do YOU rate your passengers?

Stephen

Do you use any particular method or scoring for rating your passengers?

I generally give a 5 as long as the whole experience was pleasant.
I take points off (more points for severity) for:
Being a dick.
Saying "I'll direct you," then proceeding to not direct me.
Taking more than 5 minutes to come out. (Sometimes I feel generous and don't cancel.)
Pinging me to the wrong address, then poorly describing the correct address.
...and more!

BKNY75

5 stars: super cool human beings and tippers (a tip isn't required to get 5 stars but let's be real here, Stars are for sale).

4 stars: decent human beings that put their destination address into the app.

3 stars: individuals that are too important to suffer the inconvenience of putting their destination into the app but are otherwise decent people.

2 stars: backseat drivers, door slammers, anybody that introduces an unpleasant odor into my car, fat people.

1 star: everybody else.

UberIto

1 star: blatant disrespect of myself or my property.

5 stars: everyone else.

Haven't given a 1star yet. I tend to enjoy the passengers.

ExpendableAsset

I have posted my method before in another thread, but have since forgotten where I put it. The general idea is this - assuming that you provide outstanding service - Passengers who do not tip cannot be 5 stars, then I deduct one star for every instance of disrespect and or wasting my time. (this includes making me wait and trips that are too short to be worth my time) It is important to give bad passengers bad ratings for the sake of other drivers. If you see a pax with a rating below 4.7, you can bet they are best avoided. This helps us to provide good service to good passengers and not waste our time and ratings on trash.

BKNY75

Passengers who do not tip cannot be 5 stars.
The problem with the concept of "passengers that do not tip cannot be 5 stars" is that it's the same principal as passengers saying "drivers that do not provide water, gum, and phone chargers cannot be five stars."

While I'm all about tips impacting rating, like I already said- "stars are for sale" -receiving a tip shouldn't be the sole criteria for rating somebody highly just like a driver passing out free stuff shouldn't be.

To be honest, about 95% of the people I pick up are pretty cool humans. Are they all 5 stars? Nope. But tossing a few bucks my way is a sure fire way to make me overlook a mediocre passenger performance.

ExpendableAsset

The problem with the concept of "passengers that do not tip cannot be 5 stars" is that it's the same principal as passengers saying "drivers that do not provide water, gum, and phone chargers cannot be five stars."

While I'm all about tips impacting rating, like I already said- "stars are for sale" -receiving a tip shouldn't be the sole criteria for rating somebody highly just like a driver passing out free stuff shouldn't be.

To be honest, about 95% of the people I pick up are pretty cool humans. Are they all 5 stars? Nope. But tossing a few bucks my way is a sure fire way to make me overlook a mediocre passenger performance.
In America, you tip service people. To not do so is a violation of social norms and highly offensive. The only reason I do not take off more than one star for that is because Uber's "do not tip" propaganda is largely responsible for this. Still, people should and do know better.

BKNY75

In America, you tip service people. To not do so is a violation of social norms and highly offensive. The only reason I do not take off more than one star for that is because Uber's "do not tip" propaganda is largely responsible for this. Still, people should and do know better.
In America? Really? Wow. I guess I should leave Raleigh and go to America. Sounds like a cool place.

In the country I grew up in, it's name escapes me but maybe you heard of it, its north of Mexico and South of Canada, we tip based off of quality of service. I guess in "America" service workers seem to think they're entitled to a hand out by virtue of their existence. I guess I should stop "violating" my service people, even if they suck.

I guess "America" should start handing out trophies to all the little kids that lose at football too. Oh wait.....

ExpendableAsset

In America? Really? Wow. I guess I should leave Raleigh and go to America. Sounds like a cool place.

In the country I grew up in, it's name escapes me but maybe you heard of it, its north of Mexico and South of Canada, we tip based off of quality of service. I guess in "America" service workers seem to think they're entitled to a hand out by virtue of their existence. I guess I should stop "violating" my service people, even if they suck.

I guess "America" should start handing out trophies to all the little kids that lose at football too. Oh wait.....
You insinuate that I deliver poor service, and that is an incorrect assumption.

BKNY75

You insinuate that I deliver poor service, and that is an incorrect assumption.
No. I think you pointing it how things are in "America" as if we all live in some far off land reeks of pretentiousness and ignorance.

I also assume that you think in "America" not receiving a tip for service regardless of quality is a violation of something, which is an outright lie, and you rating people based solely on their willingness to
tip you is an indicator of your own self entitlement.

Not every service rendered is worthy of recognition beyond the agreed upon price. Just like not every little kid deserves a trophy for putting his cleats on. Not in America, or any place else on the planet.

ExpendableAsset

No. I think you pointing it how things are in "America" as if we all live in some far off land reeks of pretentiousness and ignorance.

I also assume that you think in "America" not receiving a tip for service regardless of quality is a violation of something, which is an outright lie, and you rating people based solely on their willingness to
tip you is an indicator of your own self entitlement.

Not every service rendered is worthy of recognition beyond the agreed upon price. Just like not every little kid deserves a trophy for putting his cleats on. Not in America, or any place else on the planet.
You sound like a guy who does not tip.

Meh!

No tip means my pax start at 4 stars. If they get 5 stars from me other drivers can rest assured they tipped.

I have become more discerning with pax rating over time. After having my car keyed because I wouldn't take home a college kid who was sick, I have less sympathy for these young ones. Her friends stuck her in the back seat of my car and held a trash bag over her face to ensure when she puked it wouldn't result in a cleaning fee. When I told them I wouldn't take her, one of the girls keyed the side of my car. That marked the end of my sympathy for drunk and drinking college kids.

Last edited:

ExpendableAsset

No tip means my pax start at 4 stars. If they get 5 stars from me other drivers can rest asdured they tipped.

I have become more discerning with pax rating over time. After having my car keyed because I wouldn't take home a college kid who was sick, I have less sympathy for these young ones. Her friends stuck her in the back seat of my car and held a trash bag over her face to ensure when she puked it wouldn't result in a cleaning fee. When I told them I wouldn't take her, one of the girls keyed the side of my car. That marked the end of my sympathy for drunk and drinking college kids.
Man I am sorry that happened to you. Did you file a police report?

Meh!

No. Without her personal details which the police report won't reveal on a property damage or incident report, there was not much I could do. The one weilding the key was not the one on the account.

The body shop was able to buff most of it out. No paint needed.

5 stars: super cool human beings and tippers (a tip isn't required to get 5 stars but let's be real here, Stars are for sale).

4 stars: decent human beings that put their destination address into the app.

3 stars: individuals that are too important to suffer the inconvenience of putting their destination into the app but are otherwise decent people.

2 stars: backseat drivers, door slammers, anybody that introduces an unpleasant odor into my car, fat people.

1 star: everybody else.
DOOR SLAMMERS!....ooooo i hate that shit, ive gotten angry at my own daughter for doing that, then these mofos come along....:mad:

Stephen

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I dropped a guy down to two stars because he was being a complete tool to his GF. And he dropped the pin 50 feet north of his location and couldn't be bothered to walk a quarter of a block towards me. And he slammed the door. I was being generous, apparently.

BKNY75

I dropped a guy down to two stars because he was being a complete tool to his GF. And he dropped the pin 50 feet north of his location and couldn't be bothered to walk a quarter of a block towards me. And he slammed the door. I was being generous, apparently.
I really do try to keep my "personal" opinion out of the rating, like, the passengers political leaning, or favorite sports team really shouldn't reflect on if they're a good passenger or not. But every so often I get somebody that gets under my skin for reasons that have nothing to do with the actual ride and their ratings suffer for it. That's life in the big city I guess....

drivingMissLazy

Door slammers? Car key-ers? I wish a mug would! Uber may have its policies but this is MY CAR and last time I checked, I don't work for Uber, I'm a self employed independent contractor. U will not slam my doors, disrespect me or my property in any way, talk to me like I owe u a ride or expect more of me than u r paying for. I have gotten nothing but 5 star ratings from Lyft and Lyft will let u read the comment of ur highest rating in ur driver summary. Nothing but excellent comments. Now I was a 4.9 with Uber but I missed a few pings on Friday and my ratings dropped to a 4.87! I'm always pleasant, friendly, but I do let the pax gauge the convo. Some wanna chat and some don't. Either way it's fine by me. I make sure the air is to their liking and will even let them choose the music or use my aux cord. When I feel like it, I have bottled water and mints. Drunk people r dehydrated and have stank breath. A case of water cost me $2.29 at Sav-alot and mints are $1.25 a bag. Barf bags and Lysol on deck at all times. I have deep convos or funny convos with my pax. We talk sports or politics or children. Or I turn up the music and let them rock out! I've never had an issue so far. But if a pax ever got disrespectful with me, they would be out of my car in a heart beat. Ride over. Not even to the next corner. That would be the only time I open a door for a pax. I'm not gonna go for disrespect in no way shape or form. But I think if u show them from jump that u ain't a pushover, they won't try u. I have that "I'm nice but please don't try me" aura about me, so even the snooty riders r at least cordial. When I say 3 only in the back seat, I mean it. When I say don't bring that drink in here, I mean it. When I say I'm only making 1 stop, I mean it. I'm not a car service. I'm giving you a ride and in return you pay a fare. I said all that and never answered the original question! 5 stars r for genuinely nice people who r considerate of my time and vehicle. If I have to wait a long time after a call/text a star drops off. If u send me to wrong address, a star falls off. Try to fix more than 3 in back, a star falls off. Have never had to rate under 4 stars though. I wish I could change a few rating though. Just a handful.

Last edited: