How do you plan your way home? Destination mode

ChamizuNJ

Hi everyone!

New here, experienced driver in NJ.

It is a simple question. When is time to go, how do you plan your way back home? I know it depends on the area where you live and the time, but I'm curious to know if you use destination filters (uber/lyft) or just simply wait for a ride that gets you relatively close.

PS: dead miles (destination or not) drives me nuts!!. Not mentioning is not efficient.

Thank you.

ZepFan

Depends on where you live is my guess. I have to use my destination point to get near home most times.

reg barclay

I try to use destination filter. Usually set both Uber and Lyft till I get something. Sometimes I use the arrival time or maybe overshoot the destination a bit further than where I live. Obviously results can vary from one day or place to the next.

NJKing

DF is worthless.
I set DF to Hackensack from JC. Stupid app sent me to Irvington/Newark and E. Orange. Turned my app off and head north after that. I sometimes use it to get out of hood but that fails miserably most of the times. .

ZepFan

DF is worthless.
I set DF to Hackensack from JC. Stupid app sent me to Irvington/Newark and E. Orange. Turned my app off and head north after that. I sometimes use it to get out of hood but that fails miserably most of the times. .

Uber or Lyft? Uber's Usually works OK for me. Lyft I cannot say the same. Yesterday it gave me a trip that took me completely in the opposite direction of where I had my destination point set. I never get that with Uber.

sash69

Destination filter never seems to work for me. I always get trips going literally 3-4 blocks in the direction I'm trying to go. Maybe others have more success though.

Fernando-R

Hi everyone!

New here, experienced driver in NJ.

It is a simple question. When is time to go, how do you plan your way back home? I know it depends on the area where you live and the time, but I'm curious to know if you use destination filters (uber/lyft) or just simply wait for a ride that gets you relatively close.

PS: dead miles (destination or not) drives me nuts!!. Not mentioning is not efficient.

Thank you.
I try to get the most out of the DF.... if use properly they can be a source of good profitable rides.... by the end of my shift I usually have 1 left in U and 2 left in L and I use those to get me home... I always overshoot with the DF... I don’t set my home address but a couple of townships over.... not too much that I will then have more dead miles but maybe 2 townships past mine, preferably to areas where I know at that time of day people might travel to.

NJKing

Uber or Lyft? Uber's Usually works OK for me. Lyft I cannot say the same. Yesterday it gave me a trip that took me completely in the opposite direction of where I had my destination point set. I never get that with Uber.
It was Uber.
Some pax just landed from Nigeria(Not a prince). Scared me a little because two got in with two suitcase and one asked to be dropped off in few blocks and continue on. I guess in Uber's DF algorithm wants me to go west and take GSP up. Other day Uber sent me 8 minutes opposite directions to pickup going 9 minutes little pass where I started.

Lyft DF even works? Few minutes it goes off for me all the time.

ZepFan

It was Uber.
Some pax just landed from Nigeria(Not a prince). Scared me a little because two got in with two suitcase and one asked to be dropped off in few blocks and continue on. I guess in Uber's DF algorithm wants me to go west and take GSP up. Other day Uber sent me 8 minutes opposite directions to pickup going 9 minutes little pass where I started.

Lyft DF even works? Few minutes it goes off for me all the time.

Lyft's can definitely screw you. But I have learned to deploy the DF's from Uber and Lyft as best as possible. Uber might screw you with lateral rides but I rarely, if ever, get one that takes me backwards. Lyft that happens too often.

I also think a lot of it depends on where you are and where you are heading to. The longer the distance between points the higher chance of getting something you don't want, esp. with Lyft.

No_Username

depending on the time of day and where I'm at, I usually set the DF to Walmart in Kearny, 1 republic in north Arlington or Harrison path station. those are my 3 spots. works pretty well since I live in the area

NJKing

Lyft's can definitely screw you. But I have learned to deploy the DF's from Uber and Lyft as best as possible. Uber might screw you with lateral rides but I rarely, if ever, get one that takes me backwards. Lyft that happens too often.

I also think a lot of it depends on where you are and where you are heading to. The longer the distance between points the higher chance of getting something you don't want, esp. with Lyft.
Same.
I use short under 20 DF on Lyft to position myself in better spots and use Uber for money trips or heading home.

DRB720

I've always had pretty good outcomes with the DFs, but it could be a factor of the time of day I'm out. Twice I've seen hiccups up north; I once was filtering on Lyft for EWR from somewhere North of 195 but south of the Raritan River and I got Bloomfield. Another time was filtering for same from 30 miles west on Uber and I got Passaic. The trip was on surge, but it was a pain in the ass getting out of that area.
I live way DTS, I always have to dead head a good portion of my way home pretty often, so I try to make my working hours count. It's either that or sit DTS and get a ping every three hours if I'm lucky.

I use a business called Harbor Freight which is just past the airport to avoid getting Hobo or JC when coming from the west or south.

If I'm around Philadelphia going home, I usually use Tropicana as my destination; if I'm lucky I'll get someone going to Sicklerville which covers about half the distance.

Last edited:

ZepFan

In the last 2 days, I got 3 Lyft rides in the exact opposite direction of my DF. The last one really ticked me off. I was near Union City but down by the river heading toward Edgewater and got a ping up the hill. I pick the girl up and ride was going 2 miles south when my DF was set for northern Bergen. But there was traffic hell in the area and the ride took me like 30 minutes! I was pissed and I think the PAX picked up on it.

But it was the culmination of several things all due to Lyft's DF sucking a$$.

I had another backwards ride before that. That was followed by a POS chick who left me stranded waiting for her because she called for 2 cars and took the other one, and didn't bother calling or canceling. I wanted to ream her one. Very frustrating; and it PO's me further that I waited for like 15 minutes because I wanted the ride, yet it's still only a $5 cancel fee. The PAX needs to be hit harder when they do that crap.

Last edited: