• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

How Do You make This Work For You?

El Janitor

So I'm still Ubering, and my current boss sometimes makes me want to quit his wonderful place of employment for so many reasons. However that ugly reminder comes back around, "Well what will you do to pay the rent?" Now I don't quit my job to drive Uber. There was literally no jobs out there at one point for ma and many others, and I was fortunate enough to have a car that met Ubers criteria.

It was difficult to understand that I lacked the magic formula to make $1000 a week driving 40 hours a week net driving for Uber, but a few people tell of these stories, and I guess it's possible with the right vehicle. So what is this magic formula and who knows it because let me tell you you could get very wealthy if you know it.

I've said it many times after I factor out my %20 percent that I'll be paying annually on all my rideshare driving wages, and then I add up all my expenses, such as gas, tires, brakes, oil changes. Things like repair sunroof, fix electrical problem, replace power steering. You know whatever falls apart with putting 5000 or 3000 miles on your car monthly, it doesn't add up. How do you net $4000 consistently?

Do you pay a mortgage? Do you make car payments? How about medical expenses, um do you have kids, and have to clothe and feed them? Because I'd love to see the math here laid out. I already know from experience Uber caps your hours to let other drives earn some money too. So how do you do it? I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like some advice on the magic Uber formula of health wealth and prosperity.

25rides7daysaweek

So I'm still Ubering, and my current boss sometimes makes me want to quit his wonderful place of employment for so many reasons. However that ugly reminder comes back around, "Well what will you do to pay the rent?" Now I don't quit my job to drive Uber. There was literally no jobs out there at one point for ma and many others, and I was fortunate enough to have a car that met Ubers criteria.

It was difficult to understand that I lacked the magic formula to make $1000 a week driving 40 hours a week net driving for Uber, but a few people tell of these stories, and I guess it's possible with the right vehicle. So what is this magic formula and who knows it because let me tell you you could get very wealthy if you know it.

I've said it many times after I factor out my %20 percent that I'll be paying annually on all my rideshare driving wages, and then I add up all my expenses, such as gas, tires, brakes, oil changes. Things like repair sunroof, fix electrical problem, replace power steering. You know whatever falls apart with putting 5000 or 3000 miles on your car monthly, it doesn't add up. How do you net $4000 consistently?

Do you pay a mortgage? Do you make car payments? How about medical expenses, um do you have kids, and have to clothe and feed them? Because I'd love to see the math here laid out. I already know from experience Uber caps your hours to let other drives earn some money too. So how do you do it? I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like some advice on the magic Uber formula of health wealth and prosperity.
You need to drive 80 hours a week...

OldBay

If you gross 1000 a week, 40 hours a week @25/hr..which is possible depending on your market... But will involve weekends and nights to get your hourly rate up...

And you do all maintenance and repairs yourself..., you can contain costs to 10pct.

4000 -400 =3600 net.

If you can't contain costs, have to pay mechanics, don't drive a Prius, your expenses will be up to 25pct. Then you are only netting 3k.

And if you don't know when where to drive or your market is oversaturated, you may only net 2k/ month...

And if it's summer and your market is dead..you only make 1k/month.

Dems the facts jack.

Invisible

I talked to some drivers here who work full-time all nights. They say they make great money at $1500-$2000 per wk. Yet, when I asked them if it was before expenses, it was.

They also said they work every night, 12 hours. That 12 hours is only driving time, so they’re probably working 13-14 hours/night. Not great money then.

I’d highly suggest you find another W2 job, before you even consider doing Uber full-time and giving up your job. Your job has vacation & sick days, holiday pay, raises, more stability and health & retirement benefits. Uber offers none of those. Driving part-time is completely different than full-time.

oldfart

There is no magic formula
Like most any business it’s working smart and working long hours and setting up shop where the customers are

To net $4000 a month is going to be tough; especially if you limit yourself to only airport runs

My goals are less ambitious than yours. I want to net $3000 a month

here’s how I do it.

My car gets 20 mpg which works out to be 12.5 cents per mile and i budget 10 cents a mile for repairs, maintenance

my experience over the last two years is that I gross 70 cents per mile (total miles)

so my net is 47.5 cents per mile I drive about 70000 miles a year which means I net $33500/yr

if I needed $4000 a month I could drive 100000 miles per year or 2000 miles a week. I’m betting on getting3 or 4 years at that rate

your market is different and so is your car; so your numbers will be different too. I’m also counting on getting 300000 miles or more out of my car which may be more than either of us can do

in any case the secret is not a secret at all.
drive a lot while minimizing dead miles

JaxUberLyft

If I needed to gross $1k per week in Jax, FL ($0.61 / mile and $0.09 / minute) I would have to drive two shifts 7 days per week:

0400 - 1000 and 1500 - 2000

My EV would be recharging at home from 10 - 15, and of course again from 2000-0400

I'm confident I could more or less consistently gross $1k on that schedule, thereby avoiding the worst of the drunks, but it would be a real grind - no fun at all!

Taxi2Uber

It's simple really.
Be in a market where it works.
I see you're in Los Angeles and your concern is paying the rent.
Well, there you go.
Do you pay a mortgage? Do you make car payments?
How about medical expenses, um do you have kids, and have to clothe and feed them?
This helps: No, No. Covered. No.
magic Uber formula of health wealth and prosperity.
Uber provides none of these.
Once you accept this, and realize there is no "magic" formula, are the first steps in making it work.

KK2929

20% to Uber for use of their platform -- ??? More like 35+%.
2-3 Years ago, a driver could make $1,000 a week WITHOUT spending 70 hours logged on. Not today.
If you are thinking about quitting your job to drive RS full time - I would never recommend that.
If your boss is that much of a butt, maybe look for another job.
Also, keep in mind that if your job has benefits , vacation pay, sick leave, etc, that is at least worth another 10% of your earnings. So if you are making $1,000 a week, with your benefits, you are actually making $1,100.

Last edited:

ANT 7

I take home $1000-1200 a week consistently.

Working 60-72 hours, 6 days a week, in a city I have lived in, and driven in, for 40 years.

Put in long hours.

Spread them over the 6 busiest days of the week.

Have extensive local knowledge of where you are going to drive.

Castaneda7189

I remember waking up at 4AM and grinding until 8AM. Then I would work from 2PM to 7PM. I only worked Monday-Saturday at an average of 50 hours total and I would Gross $1400. I did my own maintenance and I would net around 1200/week. Much of my money came from cash tips/ in app tips/ and doing long trips for upfront cash.
In today’s market, I am sure I can still pull of those numbers. When it comes to tips, I can get around 20% consistently cash and in app. The morning airport runs and mid afternoon airport runs would be a boost for tips.
I love to drive, but being an introvert it takes a ton of energy to be a chatterbox. After 7PM I would be exhausted.

Crosbyandstarsky

Uber will never pay a profit. You trade it for your car

Uber's Guber

How Do You make This Work For You?
During the glory days, it was good money when you consider the unskilled labor that was involved.
After saturation overload, Travis & Dara started fk'ing over all the drivers.
Now I only do this rideshare-shit once in a while using the destination filters to rack up tax-deductible mileage when doing other personal errands, taking every opportunity to shuffle while I'm at it.

TemptingFate

During the glory days, it was good money when you consider the unskilled labor that was involved.
After saturation overload, Travis & Dara started fk'ing over all the drivers.
Now I only do this rideshare-shit once in a while using the destination filters to rack up tax-deductible mileage when doing other personal errands, taking every opportunity to shuffle while I'm at it.
They made you into the monster you are today.

TemptingFate