1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

How do you let your pax know you have arrived

Discussion in 'Advice' started by Wardell Curry, May 10, 2017.

1. Wardell Curry

Wardell Curry Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I text them "Hey,it's your uber driver........Am Outside".

Last edited: May 10, 2017
    KekeLo, Termie and Scruffy one like this.
  2. JWag12787

JWag12787 New Member

I let the App do it's job and notify them?
    Then after 3 minutes, I send a text like "Hey, It's Jon, your ___ driver. I'm parked ______."
    Usually have them in my car by that point though.

El Janitor, Termie, Dback2004 and 5 others like this.
  3. wk1102

wk1102 Well-Known Member

i used to wait 3 minutes.. niw i text at 1 mimute, I hate waiting.

4. Speedracer415

Speedracer415 Member

5. Jagent

Jagent Moderator Moderator

I don't. I drive to the pin. They've got 5 minutes to find me. This app isn't rocket science. .. no need for calls or texts.

6. Wardell Curry

Driving:
    UberX
    I fell you man. But I would get people come outside after 4 minutes and ask how long I was waiting because they didnt realize I was there(Excuses include the app didnt update my position or I didnt see your car). So now I just let them know so when their rating drops because they had me waiting, at least they know it's on them, not me.

El Janitor, negeorgia, Termie and 4 others like this.
  7. Atom guy

Atom guy Well-Known Member

I text immediately upon arrival. Sometimes the app doesn't tell the passenger I've arrived.

8. Wardell Curry

Driving:
    UberX
    I have literally come to the pickup spot and I see the eventual passenger right away. They have my car's make,color, model, license plate and my picture. I have their name and that's it. After 3 minutes they get in realizing I am their Uber and ask why I didnt call to them. Like Im supposed to shout out "Pedro, where are you ?" to everyone I see. All I have is a name. The system is designed for the pax to find the driver, not vice versa.

9. NCHeel

NCHeel Well-Known Member

I let the app notify them. The rider is given all the information. I get some cheesy name, how many "B"s are there? They have my car info, my picture and I have trade dress in the window. Had a lady stand right beside my car at the hospital for 2 minutes on her phone. I pulled up beside her because her phone was out and she had that where is my ride look. She then decides to tap on my window and ask if I am her Uber. How do I know? You have all the info. It says Uber right there on the window.

10. George McFly

George McFly Member

If you've ever taken an Uber as a passenger you know how they continually notify you. I never text or call the pax after arriving..shortly after 5 mins I'm gone

11. Uberdriver2710

Uberdriver2710 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    If they're on the curb, where they should be, (if they respect you at all) you won't need to text/call.

12. Danile...M...

Danile...M... Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Text if not standing there. As soon as text is sent, start 5 minute timer. It time goes off, drive away and cancel.

When I started doing that every time, I have gotten fewer rides that needed to be canceled.

Prius13, Duber12, El Janitor and 4 others like this.
  13. Veju

Veju Well-Known Member

I have a generic copy pasta in my notes that I text if no one is outside. Saves me time in sitting there when they decide to surface at the 4 minute mark. "
    Hey, this is Xxxxxxx your driver. I'm outside when you're ready. Thanks!"

Woodbury77 and Christine63 like this.
  14. Wardell Curry

Driving:
    UberX
    I agree. Texting them at least lets them know you are definitely there and most people will come down faster when they see that. Cancelling should be a last resort. I want the pax in my car asap and I find that texting serves that purpose. I could probably get more cancels by showing up, waiting 5 minutes with no text or call, and then cancelling but it probably wouldn't be as profitable. Even min fares are worth more than cancel fees here.

15. SEPA_UberDude

SEPA_UberDude Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    If the pax doesn't come to me within a minute I call. If they don't answer the call I text. If I don't get a response to that I wait the obligatory 5 minutes and send another text letting them know I waited for them as long as I could and will be cancelling due to a no-show. I do this to generate time-stamped messages with Uber to cover my butt if the pax tries to claim I'm the no show.

There's been many times when the GPS has sent me to the wrong address or to a parking lot in an apartment complex or shopping center so I give them the benefit of the doubt and call so the pax can let me know where to find them or that they'll come to me, but if they aren't paying attention after calling for a ride and miss my call and text, then that's on them.

16. swingset

swingset Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    Only call or text if it's busy with a lot of cars or I had to park somewhere odd because of a traffic/parking situation. Otherwise, the app does its job.

ScandaLeX, MoreTips and Lantawood like this.
  17. mattsabre

mattsabre Member

It's always on the pax. If they are in a location where it's a little tricky to find you then you should text me and tell me where you are. I can't see house numbers or pick people out in crowds.

18. SEPA_UberDude

SEPA_UberDude Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Not always. If they're at a club or restaurant and the street address is on a main street, but the main entrance is in alley chances are neither I nor the pax will know that until I get there. College dorms are another place I find a courtesy call goes a long way toward good will. A lot of colleges have security gates so the GPS might take me the main campus building, but the students are waiting in front of their dorm. In both cases a simple call fixes that without me wasting my time because the app says I'm there, but we're in different locations and can't see each other.

If I get close, I'm going to do what I can within reason to get the pax in my car within 5 minutes rather than waste my time for some meager consolation prize and leave the pax hanging.

19. JimKE

JimKE Well-Known Member

I don't usually do anything unless I'm in a location where I'm not sure where they are -- especially large malls. Then I usually call. About half the time, they answer and we figure it out. The other half the time they don't answer and that is a cancel no-show almost always.

The other exception is the obvious one where the pickup is in a gated community and I can't get in. Frequent flyers are always either outside the gate, or they text the code before I get there. The others often get canceled no-show, but that doesn't happen very often.

One thing I've noticed lately, however, is that the app seems to be pretty far behind the curve. I've had several riders who were ready, but didn't realize I was so close.

In one case, the app said the rider had been notified, but they told me it told them I was 6 minutes away. They weren't making excuses -- they were completely ready to go the second I spoke to them on the phone.

sheqeri and Tr4vis Ka1anick like this.
  20. Grahamcracker

Grahamcracker Well-Known Member

Hi, it's Bombtombilly with Uber. I am here at the pinned location.