How do you know you're in a surge with Lyft

Telsa34

I drive in Jacksonville Florida and so far I haven't even seen one can someone post a screenshot or tell me what it looks like.

uberlyfting123

Surge means nothing for Lyft... I get random PT on random PAX.. and while in the middle of Pink... get no pings at all... it's a all a game...

Dropking

The map will light up in pink squares of various shades, the deeper more reddish pink the higher the surge (they call it "prime" not "surge"). At the top of the screen it will give you a range that covers the whole map, like "25% to 100%" of prime". Anything above normal 25% is a pink zone on the map. 300% will look super crimson.

Then, when a ride request comes in that uses surge pricing it will tell you right in the ping request "75% of prime" or "150% of prime" or whatever it is at the moment. Be careful. As noted, not all pings seem to match the color you believe that you are in so skip the rides which do not seem to give value.

Telsa34

The map will light up in pink squares of various shades, the deeper more reddish pink the higher the surge (they call it "prime" not "surge"). At the top of the screen it will give you a range that covers the whole map, like "25% to 100%" of prime". Anything above normal 25% is a pink zone on the map. 300% will look super crimson.

Then, when a ride request comes in that uses surge pricing it will tell you right in the ping request "75% of prime" or "150% of prime" or whatever it is at the moment. Be careful. As noted, not all pings seem to match the color you believe that you are in so skip the rides which do not seem to give value.

Thank you for an honest straight up front answer and no I have not seen it yet in Jacksonville Florida I was able to get an upgrade on my car which should help but so far over outpaces lift in Jacksonville Florida

New2This

I drive in Jacksonville Florida and so far I haven't even seen one can someone post a screenshot or tell me what it looks like.

You'll probably see this first...

58db36ac768d2.image.jpg

All kidding aside I don't have a screenshot but it has the regular ping with '____% Prime Time' on the incoming request.

Once you take the trip you can't see what the PT% is until trip is over, so screenshot it.

ROTA

Download this app, it show if you have primetime on your location, its 100% acurate.
They charge something for extra services but its cheap anyway.
Thats what i do.

IMG_4074.PNG

you place some pins on the map and name the area so you can see precisly whats the prime there.

Attachments

• IMG_4073.PNG
    IMG_4073.PNG
    79.9 KB · Views: 44

Rayn10

Use the rider app to check the exact prime time percentages.

On the driver app, Light pink is 25% or 50%. The darker pink is 75% and up. So it may be 75% or may be 550%. For the "up" part, you have to use the rider app to see how high the PT actually is

K-pax

Download this app, it show if you have primetime on your location, its 100% acurate.
They charge something for extra services but its cheap anyway.
Thats what i do.

View attachment 156533

you place some pins on the map and name the area so you can see precisly whats the prime there.

Do you ever get some locations sticking for extended periods of time when it gets busy? (the higher the PT, the longer and more frequently the pins get stuck. Reloading the program, or even deleting and re-setting pins makes no difference). I've seen single pins sit there for 15-20 min while others update... and check with another third party app to see that it has since changed. I've seen a pin get stuck for as long as 45 min to an hour before (while others update in real time). Wrote the dev repeatedly and no updates or responses. Not sure they're actively developing it anymore, despite paying monthly for it. I'd just stop using it, but the interface is perfect for quick glances while driving, so as to not be distracted fiddling with the phone. But... getting so delayed sometimes that it's almost becoming useless, because I have to check with other apps to see the real time data anyway.

Rayn10

Do you ever get some locations sticking for extended periods of time when it gets busy? (the higher the PT, the longer and more frequently the pins get stuck. Reloading the program, or even deleting and re-setting pins makes no difference). I've seen single pins sit there for 15-20 min while others update... and check with another third party app to see that it has since changed. I've seen a pin get stuck for as long as 45 min to an hour before (while others update in real time). Wrote the dev repeatedly and no updates or responses. Not sure they're actively developing it anymore, despite paying monthly for it. I'd just stop using it, but the interface is perfect for quick glances while driving, so as to not be distracted fiddling with the phone. But... getting so delayed sometimes that it's almost becoming useless, because I have to check with other apps to see the real time data anyway.
That app and surge tracker for lyft are crap. Too delayed. Not worth the $5 a month

K-pax

That app and surge tracker for lyft are crap. Too delayed. Not worth the $5 a month

It's an amazing interface though. I wish someone else would actively develop one with a simple, large interface meant for someone behind the wheel. I can't fiddle with a bunch of buttons and crap with tiny text while driving. There are much better apps, but something you'd have to do while camping out, or pull off to the side of the road to use. Push Notifications are good and all, but if I have 10+ pins change at the same time, I just get a 10 push notifications message.

What the app does VERY well is give you a simple, large layout, with color codes, that you can even see out of the corner of your eye while driving pax around. Up/Down arrows to show the momentum of the PT... The UI design IS that app. I can put it up front on a second phone and passively look over to see what's going on. I already use a different one for accuracy, though it requires actively updating the PT levels manually, and lists them out in tiny text that you'd have to lean toward the steering wheel to read (while not watching the road), but this one is getting so bad that I'm having a hard time justifying the subscription.

Last edited: