1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

How do you keep car windows clean?

Discussion in 'Advice' started by Kitten, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Kitten

Kitten

Driving:
    UberX
    So I kinda have ocd when it comes to my windows being clean ,in any car I'm in .. And since I bought this car I for the life of me can't get the windows clean without streaks ! I've done every little trick I've watched, read ,learned. ..Bought so much stuff guaranteed, streak free, blah blah ...At my wits end ,almost to tears with these damn windows ! Any advice?

2. This will take an awful lot of work on your part, but it might be worth it. It's an old scuba diver's trick.

Get a tube of real toothpaste. Not gel, not whitener, etc. Spread a light layer on the inside of the window, let it sit for a minute, then wipe it off. Prevents streaking, fogging, all kinds of issues.

3. Kitten

Kitten

Driving:
    UberX
  4. Kitten

Kitten

Driving:
    UberX
    Umm...not sure I can physically produce that much saliva in one go . .

5. #professoruber

#professoruber

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I see this going to left field.

6. Kitten

Kitten

Driving:
    UberX
    *cringes* yeaaa .... I see that now. ..
    Which is better in yalls opinion ...Microfiber ,paper towels, Terry cloth. .Etc ?

7. Newspaper.

(What they used before computer screens)

Attached Files:

8. I use the "wax on, wax off" method with blue shop towels. Use one towel to apply and rub in the cleaner, use another clean dry towel to wipe over the area you just cleaned, even if you wiped it dry with the first towel.

9. jgiun1

jgiun1

Your also looking at a slight OCD with the windows being clean. When I fill up at pumps, I aways use the stations with window washer buckets & the sponge squeegee thing. I dip the sponge in the cleaner, shake a bit, hit all the outside door windows and use the squeege to do a quick big moisture removal .....

Then I grab a handful of paper towels and with light moisture from missed squeegee cleaner on window, detail the outside windows with paper towel while opening each door and doing the inside.

Works for me and I get compliments weekly on cleanest windows they ever seen.

I only use the stations that use the blue windshield washer fluid in the buckets.....some cheaper gas stations with stores here just fill with water. But most all carry the good commercial grade paper towels.(Love the thick blue one's...they clean a good window)

I started doing it in the winter of 2016 and stuck with me all year.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2018
  10. sirius black

sirius black

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I hate streaky windows. I just use Invisible Glass with a microfiber cloth, inside and out, with the exception of the front windscreen, where I’ve bought into the RainX hype. If I didn’t have all that stuff, I’d go back to 50/50 vinegar/water with newspaper instead of towels.

Retox, Fostel, Uber_Yota_916 and 2 others like this.
  11. Kitten

Kitten

Driving:
    UberX
    So far the best I've gotten em is with straight rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle... And I love the same for some reason

12. BlueManOC

BlueManOC

As a detailer i reccomend try using this stuff and after use a micro fiber towel to get rid of the streaks, works everytime for me, but use 2 microfiber towels, one to get clean and one to get rid of the streaks

Attached Files:

13. UberBeemer

UberBeemer Moderator

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I have good luck with regular windex or generic equivalent. I have so.e microfiber towels that I washed without fabric softener. Air dried, or they stick to each other in the drier. Or, the blue paper "shop towels" you can get in the auto section at walmart.

You can't always get rid of every streak though. You have to follow up with dry towels for touch up.

14. Uber's Guber

Uber's Guber

Driving:
    UberX
    Microfiber... always finish with a clean dry one going side to side instead of up & down motion. And use real Windex (with ammonia) and not the generic knock-off brands.
    Edit: as mentioned by UberBeamer, be sure to wash your microfiber towels without fabric softeners, a most important suggestion indeed.

15. jgiun1

jgiun1

Yes... Very good stuff there

george manousaridis likes this.
  16. Gilby

Gilby

Driving:
    UberX
    I just go to the local full service car wash about once a week (senior discount on Tuesdays) and let the professionals do it. Never had any complaint.

17. UberBeemer

UberBeemer Moderator

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Careful Goob, you dont want a compliment starting any unwanted trends here... ;)

I want to add, Walmart sells a bundle of nice, fairly large microfiber towels in their automotive isle. I think it was a pack of 10 for like 6 dollars, and they've held up well in the wash. Cheap ones wind up in your lint filter eventually, and dont clean as well.

18. SEAL Team 5

SEAL Team 5

Driving:
    Livery
    Don't use your vehicle for rideshare. You'll have pax smudging their dirty hands all over your windows. You'll have greasy hair product pax leaning their heads on your windows. You'll have disgusting pax spit out your window while you're driving 60 mph and half the loogie gets on the window.Get rid of your ocd or stop rideshare driving.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2018