1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

How do you handle pax that say I will be out in a few minutes?

Discussion in 'Advice' started by Nonya busy, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Crosbyandstarsky

Crosbyandstarsky

Just wait. It’s not that big of a deal when you put it in perspective

2. Randomblina

Randomblina

I do the same thing .People appreciate it too. It's where I receive a lot of my cash tips .

3. Rushmanyyz

Rushmanyyz

Dude... how narcissistic are you?

You aren't hurting Uber unless you're driving better for their competitors.

Riders have their own lives to deal with. Your drama is just going to be an outlier. You'll be that one guy they talk about when they swap stories of the worst Uber drivers they've ever seen.

I've heard of Uber drivers getting on the freeway at an off-ramp (wrong way). I've also heard of a driver taking his hands off the wheel to crank up and clap to "his favorite song". I've heard of drivers crying and begging for a good rating. The only thing these stories accomplish is getting bad ratings and deactivation. They got in my car and gave me a 5 star.

Uber has a far better handle on the nature of rideshare than you do. If you become even the slightest blip of trouble on the app, you're done - instantly. So, stop creating this weird fantasy where you have the power to take them down. You're even more delusional than the Taxi drivers that come here...

Geesus.

4. SuzeCB

SuzeCB

Driving:
    UberX
    That's the thing Lyft has all over Uber. If you know the ride is going to be a minimum fare ride 3 blocks away and the rider calls and asks you to wait longer than the 5, you know not to wait.

If they're taking a $60 round trip ride, or one that will take you to an area you want to be in, you wait a little longer.

Every driver is an individual, every rider is an individual, and every trip is an individual trip.

Life is change.

New2This and Ubersinger like this.
  5. Nonya busy

Nonya busy

Yes, that's why I'm more likely to cancel on Uber. This tricky stuff is getting old. That's why drivers are dropping people off in random places. Uber wants to keep playing the game of not telling you until you start the trip. I find most of those trips end up being trips I wouldn't have taken or rides not willing to wait for.

I notice the less crap i put up with, the more bonuses uber sends my way to keep me on the road.

Actually, people in the hood are nicer and less likely to make you wait. They are more likely to leave a tip too.

It's the privileged people that make you wait more and less like to tip and more likely to complain honestly.

Cary Grant likes this.
  6. Happened to me today... guy came out and said hey I forgot my wallet I'll be just a sec. Two minutes later I had to cancel. he had put his drinks in my car in a plastic bag (anchor). I set them out on his driveway canceled and drove off. Might have waited if he was going to the airport though, or gave me a tip. Just sayin.

New2This, Wonkytonk and HPClays like this.
  7. Would u of waited if be4 he left told u to “start the trip”?

8. I have had that before... Now because of this forum. I learned not to start the trip until the pax is in, ready to go...

9. HPClays

HPClays

Driving:
    UberX
    It's about self-respect. There is no value in letting a paxhole or Uber disrespect my time.

I know I'm teaching riders a lesson by the way they run screaming behind me as I drive away. I'm aware that they probably get their $5 back, but I've dealt with Rohit enough to know that's a frustrating ugly process.

My rating has not suffered. In fact, every sub-4 rating I've gotten has been when I stood up for myself and my property. And I'm proud of each one. In fact, by avoiding disrespectful riders that can't manage to be toes to the curb when I arrive, I think my rating has improved.

If Uber has such a great handle on the nature of rideshare, why have they not even come close to generating a profit yet. And why do they have to keep lowering driver pay and hiding their data. Why do they wait a year before disclosing a data breach? Why do they try bribing the perpetrators? Why did they get reamed by their own lease program to the tune of 9,000 per vehicle. Why do they lose 9 out of 10 drivers in less than a year? Why did their self driving car kill a pedestrian?

I've never killed a pedestrian. I have made a profit in the 2.5 years I've done rideshare. I have been able to maintain an average profit despite vast rideshare changes. I haven't had to hire any lawyers to keep my operating privileges in any city in particular. I haven't had to buy any politicians through campaigns donations.

I know I don't have the power to take Uber down by myself. But because we're all mentioning the word "shuffle" and I know the drivers that were at the table when it became a rideshare thing...I'm not by myself. Hurting Uber is entertainment for me.

I can't solve world hunger either, but donating cans of beans once in a while makes a difference to someone.

10. I actually do get a lot of repeat passengers. Maybe it’s because I live in a commercially zoned area in the waterfront district so I’m literally next door (one on each side of me and one directly across the river. All of which have live entertainment at the same time!!!) to all the major restaurants and bars so I get a lot of their employees. I just wait at home between pings.

11. HPClays

HPClays

Driving:
    UberX
    I've had three..in over 4000 rides driving mostly the same pattern...same go to honey holes, same basic times of day. And two of the passengers were repeats because they booked the reservation thru now defunct UZURV. So I think we can agree from a statistical point of view, it doesn't happen frequently enough to be significant. Cultivating passenger loyalty is a waste of time.

Not to mention, when this happens, Uber overreacts and tries to declare fraud and withhold quest bonus payments.

New2This and Wonkytonk like this.
  12. UberHammer

UberHammer

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Orlando, Cincinnati, Nashville and many other cities have cheaper Uber rates than Chicago.

Well that would be a kick in the balls, wouldn't it.

Uber pays more for waiting time before the trip then they do for time during the trip.

13. Rushmanyyz

Rushmanyyz

What a winner, right? You go, you. Teach them naughty riders!

FFS, life is so hard, right?

14. Christinebitg

Christinebitg

Driving:
    UberX
    Because they can.

Christine

15. DrivingForYou

DrivingForYou

Driving:
    Lyft
    I don't now what your market is like, but here in Los Angeles, the ones that make you wait are self entitled millennial @@@@@@bags. The text he sent is perfectly acceptable, even polite, compared to the paxholes here.

New2This and Nonya busy like this.
  16. Fuzzyelvis

Fuzzyelvis

Driving:
    UberX
    No but they do like to post on social media.

That's not just LA.

17. vtcomics

vtcomics

Troll Alert! Warning!

18. Rushmanyyz

Rushmanyyz

Polite, he says...

Holy hell, ya'll're hopeless.

19. Cary Grant

Cary Grant

Driving:
    UberX
    I used to wait more than 5 when it was a 45+ trip. Then I noticed that some tech savvy FOB grifter millenials would change the destination as soon as we started moving, and the new destination was 5-10 minutes away. Those are automatic 1-star ratings, by the way. I'd write them up for fraud, but it's not worth my time anymore, and I suspect Rohit would be on their side. I just ding 'em and move on.

If someone hands me cash before they get in the car, I will wait. Several have done this, including my most famous pax. $5 to $20 for what's often just a 6-7 minute wait. I just make sure I get a verbal agreement up front, and then watch the clock. So far, none of these pre-trip tipping pax have been a problem.

If pax call or text asking me to wait, I have learned to agree. Keep it positive until it's time to cancel and collect the tax. If we respond negatively, if we end up hauling them, we risk negative ratings and false reports. So I just keep my intentions to avoid abuse stealthy, with a smile, nodding my head, and a polite agreement to wait.

In all my shuffling, I've canceled on maybe three that turned out to be long trips or airport runs. Hundreds of the cancels were minimum fares, and the tax pays better than putting up with the abuse. I have zero guilt for collecting the tax.

In the last week, I've had a dozen or more that sent texts like...

"In the elevator" (in a building at least 20 stories high)
    "Waiting to pay my tab"
    "I gotta pee first"
    "two minutes"
    "can you wait 10 more minutes?"

Those people have one thing in common: They do not respect our time. So I have no problems with collecting the tax.

When I stopped putting up with paxhole abuses of my time, my ratings improved.

New2This, Wonkytonk and HPClays like this.
  20. Nonya busy

Nonya busy

You're full of crap!! No one respects you waiting on them and they sure as nails don't tip you for waiting for them.