1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

How do you handle pax that say I will be out in a few minutes?

Discussion in 'Advice' started by Nonya busy, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Christinebitg

Christinebitg

Driving:
    UberX
    I text in that situation too. And call before I cancel. I mostly drive in the daytime, and it doesn't happen often.

BUT I'm less specific about where I am relative to them. That's because their location is not all that accurate at times. I don't pull into driveways as much as I used to, because 1/3 of the time, the rider walks out of the house next door.

Christine

2. merryon2nd

merryon2nd

Driving:
    UberXL
    I LOVE these instances. "Why didn't you pull up the driveway?" "Because most times the GPS is still drunk from last night and has no idea where you actually are." Most of the time I get a laugh out of this. Others people think I might be on something. But always I get a smile. And NEVER do I pull into a driveway. I've heard of people getting shot by going into the wrong driveway.
    Dare I say that THAT's where my luck lies. ^_^

Cary Grant, TBone and Christinebitg like this.
  3. Christinebitg

Christinebitg

Driving:
    UberX
    That's a great line! I'm going to start using it.

Christine

Ubersinger likes this.
  4. Text them when I arrive. Added it to my quick text. "Hi, your Uber Driver (my name) is outside in a silver (make of car)" At 4:59 I cancel and move on.

Termie likes this.
  5. 1 star.

6. Nonya busy

Nonya busy

Chicago can't see pax ratings so it doesn't matter.

Funny drivers actually wait. That's pathetic and the reason pax do it. They expect drivers to wait since some drivers do wait.

They have absolutely no reason not to be ready because it's an on demand service and they can see exactly where u are. If more drivers shuffled these paxholes they would bebe time.

New2This and Termie like this.
  7. Rushmanyyz

Rushmanyyz

I love how you see yourself as a parent and the riders as little children.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2018
  8. But you wont be matched again to that pax.

Nonya busy likes this.
  9. Just curious if the pick up location factors into how long you decide to wait? I’ve only had to wait once and it was at strip club in middle of the afternoon. There was only 3 cars in the parking lot to begin with and I wasn’t even sure they were open. I just had a strange feeling about the whole thing. I waited for 6 min and canceled . As soon as I pulled out of the parking lot I got a ping from the same person so I just declined it and went offline for a few minutes.

Termie likes this.
  10. Alexxx_Uber

Alexxx_Uber

Say sure. Wait 5 minutes. Shuffle. Period.

11. I know the cancel fee was small, but I loved getting it. It became a greater joy when I tapped "No thanks" when Goober tried to ping me back, especially when I was the only bug on the map! I had an anthill level of power and I made big use of it! For that minute, I WON! I was a Dung Beetle with my little ball. Mine mine mine!

12. Christinebitg

Christinebitg

Driving:
    UberX
    I'd bet you anything that the rider wasn't ready then either. Just requested another trip when it showed that you had cancelled.

New2This and Nonya busy like this.
  13. Nonya busy

Nonya busy

Why wait 5 minutes if you're going to shuffle? Doesn't that defeat the purpose.

Yes if I'm in the suburbs where they tip more.

I find the people who make you wait are usually pain in the azzis already. They're more likely to ask you to stop at the store and wait or they're often in a hurry or running late and want you to speed.

Alexxx_Uber likes this.
  14. Alexxx_Uber

Alexxx_Uber

We have to wait 5 minutes for shuffle. But after 4 minutes I’m already leaving the pick up location...

15. goneubering

goneubering

Driving:
    UberX
    I usually wait. I waited ten minutes one time. I later found out the guy’s dog had just died. Naturally that news hit him hard. He gave me a $10 tip for waiting.

What did you do before Uber?

16. How do you shuffle? Sorry, still new at this.

HPClays likes this.
  17. Lyft let's you know destination once you arrive, if its a local quick trip, I turn car around and cancel immediately at 5 minutes. On uber, I also get the car ready, I have circled back and picked up the drunk pax in the past. They don't realize you canceled in most cases, so you get a nice little bonus. Just be sure you have a clear path out of the neighborhood or down the street before you hit that cancel button. Don't answer any phone calls after you hit cancel.

New2This and ecarpio like this.
  18. Make sure this never happens on a dead end street. Lol

19. TBone

TBone

I think you have to be flexible in these situations.
    If Uber says I am 2-3 minutes away and I arrive in 1 minute then I wouldnt expect every rider to be ready.
    If its Tuesday at 2pm and riders need time then I don't care because the chances of receiving another ride in the next 15 minutes are near zero. As long as there is some communication that they need some time then I wait.
    If its Friday night, I call at 5 minutes. No answer, cancel and leave. If they answer and say they need another 5-10 minutes I may leave depending on the location. A bar and I am out. A place where I know the ride will be $15-20 I wait.
    For our college area with one way streets and nowhere to park....I cancel if they are not outside waiting. Same for our downtown area because I am not blocking traffic and risking a ticket for minimum fare.

20. Z129

Z129 Moderator

It just means to cancel at the 5-minute mark, collect the cancellation fee, and move on to the next request.

It is completely at our discretion as to if we wish to wait longer than 5 minuter or not at the pick up.

Ubersinger and New2This like this.