1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

How do you handle pax that say I will be out in a few minutes?

Discussion in 'Advice' started by Nonya busy, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Nonya busy

Nonya busy

In Chicago, pax order rides knowing they aren't ready but they want you to be outside ready for them when they're ready to go.

Before I drove for Uber, I never did this. There's no reason to because it's an on demand service. It's just total disrespect! They're saying "my time is important, but I don't give a darn about yours."

How do you handle this? Do you just sit there and wait void of all self respect and dignity?

2. disp350

disp350

Sorry, but as a well known driver you're asking this basic question? As soon as the app says I can cancel, I'm outta there. If they see me waiting and make no attempt to enter my vehicle, when they finally approach I say "so my time is not important to you, I just cancelled your ride, have a nice day".

3. vtcomics

vtcomics

Wait until they start to reach for door handle then nudge ahead a few yards, repeat 3 to 4 times then floor it.

4. Rushmanyyz

Rushmanyyz

No reason to be a dick about it. One to two minutes of a wait is not going to kill you. I don't wait a ridiculous amount but I can check facebook or eyeball my messages, see what Trump tweeted, whatever.

The amount of people that make me wait further than canceled is rare. I always think to myself, "He/she's likely getting laid. It's worth 10 bucks to them". Then I drive away.

I'm nice, I usually call 1 minute prior to the trip cancel time. If they have a reason and are nice about it, I'll go back to Trump tweets. If not, I just dodged a bullet. Win win.

5. New2This

New2This

After 3 minutes I go hire somewhere and Shuffle at 5 minutes.

Occasionally I send this message at 4:45

Screenshot_20181129-222307_Messages.jpg

6. Nonya busy

Nonya busy

Because I like to see if anyone has other ideas than mine.

IvI' gotten to the point of leaving detailed don't waste my time because I'm not paid for this text.

7. Rushmanyyz

Rushmanyyz

Honestly, that's ridiculous. I'd copy the message, report it and get my refund.

If you want respect, earn it. There could be all number of reasons people run a minute or two late. Sometimes they have to pay a cancelation fee for it but it's over the line sending messages like a complete asshat.

8. Disgusted Driver

Disgusted Driver

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I don't say a thing. At 4:45 I start quietly creeping away and cancel at 5

9. New2This

New2This

IDGAF if they get a refund. My time is valuable.

If at 4:45 after I've arrived I haven't heard from them, THAT'S disrespectful.

10. HotUberMess

HotUberMess

It depends. For most pax I can see their location and if they’re too far away, I turn on Lyft. If they’re close enough to make it, I wait. The ideal is shuffle, get the no-show $ and pick up a Lyft pax at the same time.

There are some problems hotspots in my hunting grounds where pax seem committed to being shuffled. I always call ahead in those problem pickup areas, let them know how far I am away.

Nonya busy likes this.
  11. Nonya busy

Nonya busy

Bullz

Before i order an uber i always make sure i have my keys etc and ready to walk out the door.

There's really no excuse for pax "running late" with an on demand service like uberlyft. You order when you're ready and you know exactly where the driver is. You can see it on the app.

12. Rushmanyyz

Rushmanyyz

Lmao. Holy ****! Some folks think I'm on edge because I use bad words but dude...

Your time is valuable - to you. The sooner you learn that no one else gives a ****, tbe happier your life will be.

But hey, if uselessly telling someone off is somehow more worth your time, you do you.

Oh, blow it out your pie-hole. Your attitude towards your riders is crap. Try not taking yourself so damn seriously.

This gig isn't hard. You make it out like you're some precious primadonna who has some actual clout. Pffff.

13. Wait a few minutes.
    Then Leave.

With or Without Them.

Attached Files:

ST DYMPHNA son likes this.
  14. Coachman

Coachman

Driving:
    UberX
    I don't have many fixed and firm rules. If a pax is making me wait I'll decide whether to cancel based on where I am and how busy things are and whether I think this might be a profitable ride. If I think the pax is pulling together the suitcases for the airport I'll give him a little slack. If it seems more like a flunky McDonalds employee going to work 1.5 miles down the road I'll haul ass.

15. New2This

New2This

My time IS valuable to me. Nobody else may GAF about me but I respect myself more than that.

If they're that inconsiderate then likelihood is the ride's going to be unpleasant anyway.

I do my message so that maybe the next driver isn't waiting for them as long.

You're welcome

16. Rushmanyyz

Rushmanyyz

You do your message so that the next driver doesn't wait as long... wtf? Which driver? No one waits a long time. Uber even tells you when to cancel. You don't have to be a dick about it. That's the point. Yeah, your time is valuable and you were a jerk. It's weird how proud of it you are...

17. merryon2nd

merryon2nd

Driving:
    UberXL
    I text pax when I get there "I'm here now. White Pathfinder SUV with the blinkers on a few houses down/across the street/on the corner/etc'".
    Five minutes is plenty of time after that point if you really want a ride. If they don't respect my time enough to be outside by the time the clock counts to 5, I'm out. Although, I make exceptions if they let me know ahead of time that they're running behind due to a handicap of some sort.

KellyC and New2This like this.
  18. First your time is not that valuable for the first world if you drive for Uber

Second this is customer v business relationship not bros. What business is rude to their customers for being late. Not many...maybe drug dealers, hookers and fences... and you are not selling something that interesting.

Just do the time and drive away.

Can you imagine your food order....hello I am number 112. Oh, sir I called your number once and you were not prompt ....toes to the counter so I tossed your food you paid for....respect my time......haha .

19. CvilleUber

CvilleUber

Driving:
    UberXL
    But if I'm sitting on a 2.5+ surge, I make every attempt to get them in the car ;)

The surge is probably already over, so my next ride will probably be not worth "just a cancel fee."

Dammit Mazzacane, KellyC and New2This like this.
  20. merryon2nd

merryon2nd

Driving:
    UberXL
    First thing to remember is that the pax is not OUR customer. They're Uber's customer. We're simply 3rd parties brought in to do the labor (like a cleaning crew after a big parade in a city). That being said, the only contract written in stone, is that between the pax to get a ride, and Uber to secure a ride. We can accept or decline, or cancel a ride at whim.
    Because we operate as contractors, our time is more limited, and our job bidding more slanted, which DOES make our time more valuable when it comes to terms of our ability to make a proper income.
    Secondly, they're not only being disrespectful of our time, but their own. They're adults. They should, at this point in their lives, understand the concept of how business works, and how time management works.
    Thirdly, that comparison between the contractor's time waste and the hourly paid employee's time waste is redundant and makes no sense, as the two positions are in no way comparable to begin with.