• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

How do you get back in the car?

FL_Dex

I had a week off to work on a magazine gig and have been online for less than an hour the last two weeks. I canceled two out three rides the hour I was on. We've got the Honda Classic in town this weekend and the new baseball spring training fields opening next month. I just...can't...will myself into the car again.

Promised my dog he could go on my last day driving for Uber, so I'm debating whether to order the pet barrier for the last ride. I also want to get some pictures for the book of my last Uber customers.

I don't think it will be tough to get in the car for the last day but I'm wondering if I might want to come back to it someday? Like when Gieco finally starts offering a rideshare endorsement in Florida and it doesn't cost $311 a month for insurance.

How do you guys do it? How do you get back in the car again when you know that 5% of your customers are going to be complete d!cks? It's not the money keeping me out of the car, it's the relatively small percentage of thoughtless, bag-o-d!cks pax.

The only thing I decided for sure is I'm keeping the car. It's kinda cool.

Southdiver

I suppose it depends on how hungry you are. I mean, if you can make ends meet without the extra money, then just delete your app. There is good money driving in PGA National.

Fishchris

1 out of 20 pax who are assholes is enough to make you not want to drive ?really ?

I'm sorry but when I hear this I think of some of the other drivers here who would freak out if somebody brought a dog in the car... would freak out if somebody wanted to talk.... would freak out if somebody wanted to drop by a convenience store.... and basically would freak out for anything under the sun.

I don't know maybe I'm just a really easy going guy. I actually love driving for Uber If Only They would pay me a freaking decent wage !

FL_Dex

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't know maybe I'm just a really easy going guy
Or you have a crappy car or no fear of the convicted felon named "Marsha" using his ex-girlfriend's account. Or you have nothing to lose in a judgment if your insurance company denies your claim because you were rideshare driving on your personal auto policy. Or getting charged because one of your pax was carrying drugs or because you were transporting underage kids to a drinking party. While those are all low probability events, in aggregate they represent a significant risk that far exceeds the reward. If your cab gets impounded, you get another cab while the cab company gets their car back. If your personal car gets impounded, you're screwed. And you're still on the hook for payments, even if you can't drive it.

Overlooking risk does not make you easy going.

Maven

FL_Dex, why are you being needlessly sarcastic and abusive when people are providing (mostly) serious answers? Fishchris is correct that there are in fact some (fortunately not a lot of) Uber drivers as described. If you agree with the author of the Overlooking risk article then it may be best to join him, leaving Uber. The rest of us will continue to put up with the risks and other crap from Uber and PAX because we need the money.

You do not need to justify leaving Uber. Most of us already understand and would join you if a better income stream was available.

Fishchris

FL_Dex, why are you being needlessly sarcastic and abusive when people are providing (mostly) serious answers? Fishchris is correct that there are in fact some (fortunately not a lot of) Uber drivers as described. If you agree with the author of the Overlooking risk article then it may be best to join him, leaving Uber. The rest of us will continue to put up with the risks and other crap from Uber and PAX because we need the money.

You do not need to justify leaving Uber. Most of us already understand and would join you if a better income stream was available.
Exactly. And not only because i need the money, but also because i love the job. Just wish it paid better.

And btw, every job has its risks. I delivered pizzas for many years. 'Only' got robbed at gun point once :smiles: lol
The difference was, pizza delivery paid litterally twice what Uber driving does.... Albeit 10 X's as much cr@p labor along with it.

FL_Dex

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I print the truth. I know the company doesn't like it, that's why they pay shills to stay involved in the public narrative enough to muddy the waters and mitigate negative comments. That's got to be a Sisyphean task these days. It's not personal, it happens to anyone spelling out the risks or documenting the low pay here. Not everyone defending the business is a shill, it's not all bad. I like the job, some days, but that doesn't mitigate the risks or improve the risk v reward dynamic.

There are lots of ways to make money in the gig economy, especially now. You can make money with far less risk than putting your car and insurance rates on the line. Anyone doing this job needs to be fully informed of the risks they're taking. If they still want to do it, then best of luck.

Maven

I print the truth. I know the company doesn't like it, that's why they pay shills to stay involved in the public narrative enough to muddy the waters and mitigate negative comments. That's got to be a Sisyphean task these days. It's not personal, it happens to anyone spelling out the risks or documenting the low pay here. Not everyone defending the business is a shill, it's not all bad. I like the job, some days, but that doesn't mitigate the risks or improve the risk v reward dynamic.
I'm glad that you realize that "Not everyone defending the business is a shill". The same is true for people who occasionally disagree with you.
There are lots of ways to make money in the gig economy, especially now. You can make money with far less risk than putting your car and insurance rates on the line. Anyone doing this job needs to be fully informed of the risks they're taking. If they still want to do it, then best of luck.
I, and many others in this forum, would appreciate it if you were more specific and would list all the myriad ways that current Uber drivers might "make (more) money with far less risk than putting your car and insurance rates on the line." If possible, for each job please provide: company name, contact information, job title, and a link to the job description or application.

Reactions: Go4

Fishchris

I'm glad that you realize that "Not everyone defending the business is a shill". The same is true for people who occasionally disagree with you.

I, and many others in this forum, would appreciate it if you were more specific and would list all the myriad ways that current Uber drivers might "make (more) money with far less risk than putting your car and insurance rates on the line." If possible, for each job please provide: company name, contact information, job title, and a link to the job description or application.
:smiles: lol Right ? I'm listening.... Waiting for Amazon to get going... But already hearing it pays really low...

And btw, a guy can pretty easily make $20-25 an hour delivering pizzas (mostly tips) ... albeit, along with lots of cr@p labor, and crappy hours... on somebody elses schedule...

RaleighUber

Or you have a crappy car or no fear of the convicted felon named "Marsha" using his ex-girlfriend's account. Or you have nothing to lose in a judgment if your insurance company denies your claim because you were rideshare driving on your personal auto policy. Or getting charged because one of your pax was carrying drugs or because you were transporting underage kids to a drinking party. While those are all low probability events, in aggregate they represent a significant risk that far exceeds the reward.
The paragraph above makes clear your concerns, and that you know they are all very low probability events, but that those fears seem large to you. You also could be stabbed by a drugged out crazy, shot by police, be one of the 40K plus who die in a car accident each year OR be hit by a random meteorite. Those things happen when driving, not just for Uber.

Your real question is will your fears control your actions or your rational evaluation of risk?

Fishchris

The paragraph above makes clear your concerns, and that you know they are all very low probability events, but that those fears seem large to you. You also could be stabbed by a drugged out crazy, shot by police, be one of the 40K plus who die in a car accident each year OR be hit by a random meteorite. Those things happen when driving, not just for Uber.

Your real question is will your fears control your actions or your rational evaluation of risk?
The fact of the matter is, you can spend your whole life worrying about everything under the sun.... however 99.9% of all the things you worry about will never come to pass.
Instead it's the one thing that never even crossed your mind, that will sneak up and nail you on some slow Tuesday afternoon....

Don't worry about crossing the bridge before you get to it.

Maven

... 99.9% of all the things you worry about will never come to pass...
The question then is how to know what is part of that 0.1% and not worry about the rest, right? But, but, what if, if having Zombie Donald Trump order the Secret Service to break into my house so that he can eat my brains is part of the 0.1%% ???!!! Now, I won't be able to sleep for days and it's all yourrrrrr fault! :eek::eek::wink::eek::eek::rolleyes:

P.S. Am I being paranoid if they really are after me?

Last edited: