How do you deal with rider's who drop ping on places you can't stop

fisma028

Hi guys, new to the forum.

I've been driving with uberx for about two weeks now, and one of the major things that stresses me out is uber-passengers who drop their pin in places you can't stop.

My car is not a hovercraft, I can't just stop in the middle of busy streets when everyone is trying to get the next light just because the passenger wanted to be picked up at the exact spot they decided uber would be a good idea.

It *might* be okay if you knew them by face and they were waiting to jump into your car as fast as olympic hurdler, But most of the time you need to find who the rider is, stop the car and wait for them to notice you and walk over to enter. By that time hounds of hell are blaring behind you as 10 pissed of cars road rage at you stopping randomly and denying them the chance to make the green light.

Just today a rider dropped their pin right in the middle of a highway tunnel. A FREAKING TUNNEL!

How do you guys deal with this issue? Do you call the rider and ask them to meet you somewhere? Any tips? It is one of the most challenging aspects of Uber driving for me.

Thanks

SibeRescueBrian

Welcome to the forum! Before you even begin moving, you can text or call the pax to verify the pickup location. That way, you won't have to figure it out when you get there. You may also want to ask for their destination as well. If they're not going farther than the distance you have to travel to pick them up, encourage them to cancel and seek out a closer driver.

hanging in there

Dear Fisma,

Thanks for reaching out! Millenial Mike here from Uber CS.

Being Uber means that traffic laws, basic traffic safety issues, common sense and road courtesy are of no concern for the driver. The only thing that matters is that you deliver a five star experience to the pax. That means that even if the pax pings you from inside of Disneyland, for example, then you need to jump the curb and drive down walkways until you reach your pax who are just getting off the Indiana Jones ride. Just please try to not mow down too many tourists along the way but if you do happen to flatten a few, don't worry about it because they are not your pax and they can not rate you, so they don't really matter.

When you are holding up traffic for a stop in the middle of the freeway, for example, don't worry about road rage or about getting rear-ended. When people see the Uber logo on your car they will more than understand, they will give you the same respect in traffic as a police car or an ambulance.

Uber on!

uberdriverfornow

You just have to politely tell them that you can't pick up in bus stops and crosswalks after stopping where you can pick them up. Just let them know that unfortunately you have to be sure to be safe first and you can't risk getting a ticket.

Another Uber Driver

waiting to jump into your car as fast as olympic hurdler, But most of the time you need to find who the rider is, stop the car and wait for them to notice you and walk over to enter. By that time hounds of hell are blaring behind you as 10 pissed of cars road rage at you stopping randomly and denying them the chance to make the green light.

If you pull up to an address where there is a NO STANDING OR PARKING 4-6:30 P.M. sign and it is still Rush Hour, you are lucky if they are even outside. Usually, when you pull up to such an address, there is no one outside anywhere near the address, except for people walking along the sidewalk. One or two people might come out of the building, but they are not your customers.

I will call or send a message to let them know that they must be outside, as it is Rush Hour and there is no standing in Rush Hour in that block. If they balk, tell them to cancel and order when they are ready. I have had more than one customer that expected me to sit in a No Standing [in Rush Hour] Zone and wait. Those are the people who must cancel and re-submit when ready. Do watch your cancellations. Uber does hold them against you, even if they are for legitimate reasons. This is why I always try to have the customer cancel. Uber does not hold that one against, you, Y-E-T.

Dear Fisma,

Thanks for reaching out! Millenial Mike here from Uber CS.
If you get Millenial Mike to reply to your e-Mail, you are indeed fortunate. Usually you get some outsourced "CSR" whose command of the English Language is that of a third grader.

Adieu

I kicked out a super-rude chick who couldnt seem to understand "just input intermediate destination or at least tell me WHERE,not how, cause I don't hear reliably while driving".....

AND IT FELT GRRREAT~!!!

With no - waiting - zoned unpickupables, might I recommend an educational "I'm gonna be here at this nearby address, cuz that's actually safe n legal" text ...

....AND THEN cancel em in face for $5 when and preferably only when their peeved and annoyed figure has ALMOST finished waddling over to your car!!!!!!

AllanJ

I got a fare ping today... out by our airport. A trucking firm, but no PAX.

So I called the PAX. and asked where he was. "I am standing here at the Baggage Claim exit and I am in a hurry!" (Three miles away).

Turned out he had dropped a pin in the plane on approach.... right over the trucking firm.

I am a new (125 rides) driver, but already understanding that some riders should have to take a test first.

simpsonsverytall

had a guy the other day, with his pin just at the 'end' of a roundabout/circle

Entered the circle and saw a gentleman
slowed down and made eye-contact/body language in case that was my passenger

He had no response, so I followed the circle around to where the pin was.

Nobody there, so I stopped on the corner of the circle and looked around, and then the eye-contact guy was running over toward me.

"Why didn't you stop?"

I thought that may have been you, tried to make eye-contact and then drove to the pin. Glad we connected :smiles:

"But I was waiving my hands!?"

Sorry sir, at that point I was driving around to the pin and watching traffic. :smiles:

"Hey , I was just trying to save you gas"...

:mad:

Atom guy

It happens. After I got a ticket for waiting at a bus stop, now I don't stop, I let the app notify the passenger I'm there, then drive around the block. They'll call and ask where I am and I just ask " are you outside on the sidewalk ready to be picked up?"

MaximusMurkimus

And if it's surging nearby and they tell you to pick them up somewhere other than the actual address, be sure to input the address into the PAX app. If it's surging there, instant cancel.

Uber Is The Devil

"Atom guy, post: 1301356, member: 66616"]Get used to inaccurate pin drops. Lazy passengers do it all the time. Just get as close as you can and the text or call them for the exact location.[/QUOTE]
All fine until they get rude. One guy says to me, "look on the map. Thats where I am. You passed me." ***click