How do you deal with morning rush hour POOL hell in DC?

LowIQCrazyMika

I am so used to driving at night since it's way less traffic, and it was just my 3rd time driving morning rush hour 8-9am.

I only kept getting POOLs at surge rate but declined them all, mostly because all of them came from low rated pax, 4.5 and below.
It just gave me a clue that most likely these are the folks that make the driver wait blocking a Lane because they aren't at the curb, or the entitled folks who likes to give hell to the driver

Without hitting "no request button", do you usually drive extra slow, slow down for a yellow light, pick up other pax to teach these cheap POOL pax a lesson,
Means intentionally make them late for their meetings or work

DCNewbie17

The reason you keep getting pools is because they're approved for reimbursement for federal govt employees with the mass transit subsidy for commute to/from work. Those who take uberx would be out of pocket.

Bulls23

The reason you keep getting pools is because they're approved for reimbursement for federal govt employees with the mass transit subsidy for commute to/from work. Those who take uberx would be out of pocket.

Wrong. It's cheaper that's all.

I am so used to driving at night since it's way less traffic, and it was just my 3rd time driving morning rush hour 8-9am.

I only kept getting POOLs at surge rate but declined them all, mostly because all of them came from low rated pax, 4.5 and below.
It just gave me a clue that most likely these are the folks that make the driver wait blocking a Lane because they aren't at the curb, or the entitled folks who likes to give hell to the driver

Without hitting "no request button", do you usually drive extra slow, slow down for a yellow light, pick up other pax to teach these cheap POOL pax a lesson,

Accept Pool only if:

- You are very close to pick up location. This gives you better chance to cancel for no show. (your goal is to get cancellation fee, not a pick up!)
- If it's surging 2.0 and up. (Use Stop New Request - do not let cheap a-holes to split the cost with others!)

DCNewbie17

It's not up for debate. UberPOOLs are approved for the mass transit subsidy for the biggest employer in the DC area. Hence POOL requests during rush hour. It ain't algebra...just passing information. Take it or leave it.

Uberfunitis

It's not up for debate. UberPOOLs are approved for the mass transit subsidy for the biggest employer in the DC area. Hence POOL requests during rush hour. It ain't algebra...just passing information. Take it or leave it.
When did that change? Can you provide any links? From what I found most Uber pools would not count unless you are in an XL vehicle

6. What are qualifying transportation expenses?
Qualifying transportation expenses are defined in the Internal Revenue Code (26 U.S.C. Section 132-9), and include:

• Use of mass transit facilities (subway, rail, bus) or other similar public transportation mode.
  • Use of a Commuter Highway Vehicle (having a seating capacity of at least 6 adults not including the driver), and which is used for transporting employees to and from work for at least 80% of the mileage. Vanpools would typically satisfy the criteria for vehicles of this type – while carpools would not (see Q&A # 8 for additional requirements).

DCNewbie17

The individual agencies can authorize what's allowed specifically. But there are agencies authorizing Uber pools and Lyft lines for transit. I don't know if this will be a permanent shift or not but I believe part of the reason they're allowed are due to long term infrastructure projects by WMATA that are causing station closures and delays.

If you're a Fed, check with your funding office!

Uberest

Don’t game the passengers. Accept the ride or do not accept, but if you do accept — do the best you can. If the ride ends up sucking.... well, some rides do suck and there was no way to know this when you accepted. Don’t make the pax pay more just because they suck or the ride sucks.

Just roll with it and think how great it will feel when the sucky pax leaves your car.

Chapindc

I personally don't have time for effing around, I do everything that comes if reasonable, meaning at least 4.3*, no more than 12 min distance, no ghetto hoods(very hostile pax in general)

PDT

The individual agencies can authorize what's allowed specifically. But there are agencies authorizing Uber pools and Lyft lines for transit. I don't know if this will be a permanent shift or not but I believe part of the reason they're allowed are due to long term infrastructure projects by WMATA that are causing station closures and delays.

Thanks for the detail UBER employee.

koyotemohn

In dc you drive via during rush hour and then switch to Uber if you choose to do pool… the only thing that matters during rush hour in dc is how much your are getting paid per hour(versus distance) and how that is incentivized thru multiplication and low commission. The only reason to do uberpool during rush hour is a high distance and a high surge incentive.

Once your surge/boost criteria is met ....you stop worrying about the general background of who gets in and out of your car.

3.5x morning multiplier will make you smile at just about whoever steps into the ride.

And if you do pool then you must scout for each and every opportunity to make a pickup and at least one no show.

Jo3030

Don’t game the passengers. Accept the ride or do not accept, but if you do accept — do the best you can. If the ride ends up sucking.... well, some rides do suck and there was no way to know this when you accepted. Don’t make the pax pay more just because they suck or the ride sucks.

Just roll with it and think how great it will feel when the sucky pax leaves your car.
LOL

YelpMan

Wow, that's interesting; I didn't know that. Is that a new Fed policy to fund UberPool in lieu of transit subsidy? A good reason to not do weekday morning!

Uberest

The extra $1 is BS. It should be a share of the total fare, depending on agreed commission plus booking fee.

New2This

The extra $1 is BS. It should be a share of the total fare, depending on agreed commission plus booking fee.

This was suggested at last Uber meeting. Pay regular rate for first rider and 50% for each subsequent rider. I'd at least entertain trying that.

$1 isn't enough to get my interest. Maybe for some ants it will be. Time will tell.

LowIQCrazyMika

This was suggested at last Uber meeting. Pay regular rate for first rider and 50% for each subsequent rider. I'd at least entertain trying that.

$1 isn't enough to get my interest. Maybe for some ants it will be. Time will tell.

Not for me either.
$1 isn't worth the hassle of constant turns, sitting out in traffic to pick up next pax in DC
Wasting close to 15 min to pick up 2nd or 3rd pax isn't worth $1. I would do it for at least $10, which will never happen lol