• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

How do you deal with dogs?

tohunt4me

So pulled my first shift today, and was sent to a rural area of the city (lots of cows in peoples yards and one house I delivered to had an open garage full of chickens with a rooster standing guard). One house had no one home and a dog tied to the porch, who would not let me go near. A call to the customer led me to an answering machine, and a call to support did not help either as they could not reach her. I was almost an hour away from the warehouse and didn’t want to be forced to drive all the way back there, and was not comfortable throwing the item onto the porch, so I left it in the crook of a tree with a bicycle tied to it (not visible from road) and left a voice mail to customer telling her where it was. Does that sound like a good solution or am I going to get in trouble?
From the bottom of the deck of course !

Attachments

rideshareMN

I would like to see Amazon do more to at least try to protect drivers from dogs. Today I had FOUR incidents, including one where a massive dog cornered me, and I knew if I moved, I was gonna be attacked. Finally, the owner came out of his house, and was all "i'm so sorry" … well, i'm sorry these asshat dog owners are so oblivious and so selfish that they just have their attack dogs roaming off chain on their palatial estate on a day they damn well know they are getting a package delivered

I called in after the incident to say that they should send the customer a note that they need to keep their dog inside on delivery days. hoping to protect future drivers from the same fate I endured..the Amazon support person pretty much laughed at me, saying if the owner apologized that was good enough

Side Hustle

So pulled my first shift today, and was sent to a rural area of the city (lots of cows in peoples yards and one house I delivered to had an open garage full of chickens with a rooster standing guard). One house had no one home and a dog tied to the porch, who would not let me go near. A call to the customer led me to an answering machine, and a call to support did not help either as they could not reach her. I was almost an hour away from the warehouse and didn’t want to be forced to drive all the way back there, and was not comfortable throwing the item onto the porch, so I left it in the crook of a tree with a bicycle tied to it (not visible from road) and left a voice mail to customer telling her where it was. Does that sound like a good solution or am I going to get in trouble?
You wing it like a frisbee onto the porch and take the pic before the dog attacks the package. It’s that simple.

UberGeo

I have a mag flashlight and pepper spray... they both work well...
On people too.

Never had to use, but do carry.

Last edited:

JDWhit_

Today, there was this big lab at a big house I went to. Big yard. Over friendly dang dog! Overly excited. Un-trained. Jumping up and down. I was like sit! Here we go! So I get out, and tell at the dog to get the F down and stop jumping on me! Next thing you know the dang dog jumped up in my truck and wouldnt get out! Fuq.....Finally he gets out and I gave it to the owners pretty good earful. Mud and sit on my seats!

I usually can judge a dog! I have a long windshield ice scraper broom thing that I carry if I feel uncomfortable with a dog. It doesn't look like a weapon but it is! I'll clock the sit out of a dog! If it's an over friendly dog, I'll put the packages between me and the dog. Try delivering packages late at night way out in the country with long dirt roads and dogs.

The UPS guys carry dog treats. My dogs love seeing the big brown truck show up.
NO! Then the dang dogs think we all have treats! F that!