How do I surrender my TLC plates?

Inshur

unitxero

UBER Emp #2266971
So you've decided to end your journey as a glorious and highly respected ant. 🐜

This simple guide will help you in ending your FHV driving mistake. So you can be a normal functioning citizen on the sidewalks of new york once again. (bicyclist excluded)

This guide assumes you wish to keep your car.

Quick tip before starting : You will need proof of vehicle ownership to register your vehicle again. Follow the instructions in Step 4 and have this proof ready BEFORE you surrender your plates if you go to the DMV in person. If you mail in your plates, you will have to do this anyways but when you receive your plate surrender receipt.

At the bottom of this post all required documents are listed.

How to surrender my TLC plates on a vehicle I own

1. Contact an insurance company and buy personal car insurance. The type of coverage you need, full coverage or only liability is up to your own personal or legal needs.

2. Follow this link and print out this form and fill it in. DMV Form *click here* DO NOT write in "office use 1 or 2"

3. You will now need to get new registration for your vehicle so new plates will be issued to you. How to register for my NEW plates and registration

4. Go to the DMV with all these forms filled out and ready and you can start and finish the process in the same day.

Questions:

Will I get a partial or full refund for my registration?

The answer is maybe, and it depends on certain requirements that the DMV has listed on their website. Do I qualify for a refund?

Can I surrender my plates and then register for new plates without personal insurance first?

No you can't and don't waste your time!

Can I surrender my plates after my TLC insurance has expired?

No you can't, do not do this or your registration may be suspended for 30 days. You must surrender your plates before your TLC insurance expires.

Is it easier to do all this at the DMV?

Yes, make a reservation and come with all the supporting documents you will need. I've included links to every document you may need.

Documents you will need to complete this process:

Plate Surrender Form

the original title (or other proof of ownership) 2

the current NY State Insurance ID card (auto liability insurance) 3

the bill of sale and proof of sales tax payment / sales tax form 4

your NY State driver license, permit, non-driver ID, or other proof of identity 5

payment for fees and taxes or proof of an exemption

a completed Vehicle Registration Application (PDF) (MV-82)

🐜

Alone44

glorious and highly respected ant. 🐜 lol. But thanks! this is very helpful for people who want to move on.

JqYork

I'm not sure I understand why all this is so complicated. I just surrendered my plates last week on a car that I traded in at the dealership for a new car. I took the plates into the DMV and handed them in and that was that.

I originally wanted to get them transferred to the new car but ran into a little snag. I bought the new car in NJ. And when I went into the DMV the lady told me to fill out the form that asks if you paid sales tax. The form said at the top, though, that if you paid sales tax at the dealership you didn't have to fill it out. So I told her I paid the dealership and she said, 'But the dealership was in NJ, now you have to pay NYS their sales tax... on the new car sales price!'

I couldn't believe it! I had already paid something like $3,500 in state sales tax and now NY was telling me I'd owe about $5,000 to them! I said, FORGET IT! That is just so immoral... I couldn't believe they would even dare to charge TLC drivers (who aren't exactly rich) sales tax on a car they bought in another state! Absolutely outrageous. So much for liberals helping the little guy.

So, I handed her the plates, she gave me a receipt and that was the end of my 7-year Uber career. (Thank God)!

ubernyc

I'm not sure I understand why all this is so complicated. I just surrendered my plates last week on a car that I traded in at the dealership for a new car. I took the plates into the DMV and handed them in and that was that.

I originally wanted to get them transferred to the new car but ran into a little snag. I bought the new car in NJ. And when I went into the DMV the lady told me to fill out the form that asks if you paid sales tax. The form said at the top, though, that if you paid sales tax at the dealership you didn't have to fill it out. So I told her I paid the dealership and she said, 'But the dealership was in NJ, now you have to pay NYS their sales tax... on the new car sales price!'

I couldn't believe it! I had already paid something like $3,500 in state sales tax and now NY was telling me I'd owe about $5,000 to them! I said, FORGET IT! That is just so immoral... I couldn't believe they would even dare to charge TLC drivers (who aren't exactly rich) sales tax on a car they bought in another state! Absolutely outrageous. So much for liberals helping the little guy.

So, I handed her the plates, she gave me a receipt and that was the end of my 7-year Uber career. (Thank God)!
Did you ever get the Lexus from Luxor?

JqYork

Haha! You have a good memory. And yes I did get it and that's the car I just traded in for a new car. It was that car whose plates I was hoping to transfer to the new car.

WokeUP

So you've decided to end your journey as a glorious and highly respected ant. 🐜

This simple guide will help you in ending your FHV driving mistake. So you can be a normal functioning citizen on the sidewalks of new york once again. (bicyclist excluded)

This guide assumes you wish to keep your car.

Quick tip before starting : You will need proof of vehicle ownership to register your vehicle again. Follow the instructions in Step 4 and have this proof ready BEFORE you surrender your plates if you go to the DMV in person. If you mail in your plates, you will have to do this anyways but when you receive your plate surrender receipt.

At the bottom of this post all required documents are listed.

How to surrender my TLC plates on a vehicle I own

1. Contact an insurance company and buy personal car insurance. The type of coverage you need, full coverage or only liability is up to your own personal or legal needs.

2. Follow this link and print out this form and fill it in. DMV Form *click here* DO NOT write in "office use 1 or 2"

3. You will now need to get new registration for your vehicle so new plates will be issued to you. How to register for my NEW plates and registration

4. Go to the DMV with all these forms filled out and ready and you can start and finish the process in the same day.

Questions:

Will I get a partial or full refund for my registration?

The answer is maybe, and it depends on certain requirements that the DMV has listed on their website. Do I qualify for a refund?

Can I surrender my plates and then register for new plates without personal insurance first?

No you can't and don't waste your time!

Can I surrender my plates after my TLC insurance has expired?

No you can't, do not do this or your registration may be suspended for 30 days. You must surrender your plates before your TLC insurance expires.

Is it easier to do all this at the DMV?

Yes, make a reservation and come with all the supporting documents you will need. I've included links to every document you may need.

Documents you will need to complete this process:

Plate Surrender Form

the original title (or other proof of ownership) 2

the current NY State Insurance ID card (auto liability insurance) 3

the bill of sale and proof of sales tax payment / sales tax form 4

your NY State driver license, permit, non-driver ID, or other proof of identity 5

payment for fees and taxes or proof of an exemption

a completed Vehicle Registration Application (PDF) (MV-82)

🐜
If you surrender your TLC plates, you won't be able to drive. DMV's are closed.

aluber1968

People that work at the DMV are not exactly the brightest. You owed difference in tax, not the full sales tax. NJ sales tax is lower than NY.
Next time go another DMV or come back the next day and hopefully you will see another representative.
Was there a reason for trading in the Lexus? I mean mechanical issues or desire for something better.
I was one of many posters advising you not to deal with those vulchers.

JqYork

Yes, I remember you @aluber1968 and our conversations about this car.

Are you serious, I only had to pay the difference in tax!? Wow. She totally told me something different. She said I had to pay the entire NYS tax, which sounded believable. I didn't have enough knowledge to question that.

I would really be kicking myself right now had you told me that in a pre-COVID-19 world. But honestly, in this world, getting rid of that TLC car was the smartest thing I could do financially, I think. I don't see rideshare coming back at all to what it was before. We all thought it was bad before? We're gonna be dreaming of those days soon!

First, this pandemic is not going to end anytime soon. And even when it does - the world will have changed. I believe one of the changes is going to be a lot more office professionals are going to work from home. Maybe not 100% of the time, but maybe 50% or 30% of the time. Uber and Lyft always had far more drivers than they needed and if they came back with exactly the same number of drivers as they had when they left off in March - but there was say, 20% less morning and afternoon commute business - drivers would just be sitting around twiddling their thumbs. I think earnings will plummet to well below $10 an hour in a post-pandemic world.

At least in NYC drivers have to have TLC licenses and surely many drivers will be lost forever during this time as they move away or move on. But in other cities, they're going to end up with far more drivers than they had before because of the deep unemployment hole we're going to be in. Many more people will want to become drivers and U/L never says no to anybody. So other cities will have more drivers than ever and at the same time fewer passengers than ever! Those guys could well end up losing a couple of bucks every hour they drive.

So all in all, while I am upset about what you just told me, realizing I could have kept the license as I definitely would have paid the difference in tax. But I wouldn't have paid the whole NYS tax. So it is a little upsetting knowing I lost out on it because I was given bad info by a DMV employee. But in the end I trust in God's providential leadings and really think I'm better off without it - especially in light of the pandemic. It's going to be YEARS before things get anywhere close to normal in rideshare.

As far as why I got a new car... personal reasons really. My wife wanted to start driving, she's from another country and never learned to drive so I wanted her to have a newer modern car with all the safety features like smart cruise control and lane assist and all that. I was kind of pissed when it turned out the Lexus didn't have anything like that. It was a model and year that did have those things but this was the bottom of the barrel model with no extra features. And of course they didn't tell me that at Luxor. The car they showed me had all those features. But they car they sold me had none of them. So that really got under my skin during the time I owned it.

How are things going for you? Are you still driving?

So when my wife said she finally wanted to get her license that got me to thinking maybe this was the best time for us to get a new car. We had just paid off the other two and were looking forward to having no payments for a while. But then I realized the value of those two cars would be constantly going down so our best trade-in value was now. With the two cars together we were able to get a super high-end luxury SUV with the trade-in value paying for almost half of it. We had originally wanted to wait a couple of years before even thinking of getting a new car, but I told her in those years the value of our current cars would go down so much they wouldn't be much help in getting a new car. So we decided to do it.

But my plan was to transfer my TLC license over to it and just have it in case I ever needed it. But as it appears things have turned out - even if I needed it, I don't think it would do me any good for the next couple of years anyway.

aluber1968

Yes, I remember you @aluber1968 and our conversations about this car.

Are you serious, I only had to pay the difference in tax!? Wow. She totally told me something different. She said I had to pay the entire NYS tax, which sounded believable. I didn't have enough knowledge to question that.

I would really be kicking myself right now had you told me that in a pre-COVID-19 world. But honestly, in this world, getting rid of that TLC car was the smartest thing I could do financially, I think. I don't see rideshare coming back at all to what it was before. We all thought it was bad before? We're gonna be dreaming of those days soon!

First, this pandemic is not going to end anytime soon. And even when it does - the world will have changed. I believe one of the changes is going to be a lot more office professionals are going to work from home. Maybe not 100% of the time, but maybe 50% or 30% of the time. Uber and Lyft always had far more drivers than they needed and if they came back with exactly the same number of drivers as they had when they left off in March - but there was say, 20% less morning and afternoon commute business - drivers would just be sitting around twiddling their thumbs. I think earnings will plummet to well below $10 an hour in a post-pandemic world.

At least in NYC drivers have to have TLC licenses and surely many drivers will be lost forever during this time as they move away or move on. But in other cities, they're going to end up with far more drivers than they had before because of the deep unemployment hole we're going to be in. Many more people will want to become drivers and U/L never says no to anybody. So other cities will have more drivers than ever and at the same time fewer passengers than ever! Those guys could well end up losing a couple of bucks every hour they drive.

So all in all, while I am upset about what you just told me, realizing I could have kept the license as I definitely would have paid the difference in tax. But I wouldn't have paid the whole NYS tax. So it is a little upsetting knowing I lost out on it because I was given bad info by a DMV employee. But in the end I trust in God's providential leadings and really think I'm better off without it - especially in light of the pandemic. It's going to be YEARS before things get anywhere close to normal in rideshare.

As far as why I got a new car... personal reasons really. My wife wanted to start driving, she's from another country and never learned to drive so I wanted her to have a newer modern car with all the safety features like smart cruise control and lane assist and all that. I was kind of pissed when it turned out the Lexus didn't have anything like that. It was a model and year that did have those things but this was the bottom of the barrel model with no extra features. And of course they didn't tell me that at Luxor. The car they showed me had all those features. But they car they sold me had none of them. So that really got under my skin during the time I owned it.

How are things going for you? Are you still driving?

So when my wife said she finally wanted to get her license that got me to thinking maybe this was the best time for us to get a new car. We had just paid off the other two and were looking forward to having no payments for a while. But then I realized the value of those two cars would be constantly going down so our best trade-in value was now. With the two cars together we were able to get a super high-end luxury SUV with the trade-in value paying for almost half of it. We had originally wanted to wait a couple of years before even thinking of getting a new car, but I told her in those years the value of our current cars would go down so much they wouldn't be much help in getting a new car. So we decided to do it.

But my plan was to transfer my TLC license over to it and just have it in case I ever needed it. But as it appears things have turned out - even if I needed it, I don't think it would do me any good for the next couple of years anyway.
I haven't worked since mid March. The last days that I worked business was going down substantially. A lot of the morning customers were working from home and the demand started drying up.
The risk of bringing home covid19 wasn't worth it. I was driving with a window slightly open even in February and the heater on. This virus is super scary and effects everyone differently. Some get no symptoms and some die.
Just started collecting unemployment and staying home. If uber was your only job you can file for unemployment too, if already haven't done so.
I assume that you live in NJ and that is why the dealership collected NJ sales tax from you. It may not be too late to save your TLC status if your TLC vehicle license is still valid. You can call or email the TLC in that regard.
I don't think there will a lot of work in the foreseeable future. People will work from home and companies will save a ton of money on office rent by reducing their square footage.

clow

Exactly! The bulk of most NYC driver’s passengers are office people. 80% of those now work from home and after the lockdown 50% of those companies will continue to work from home from the new discovery of how much they can save in already overpriced real estate. Remember it’s always about the $$. The days of non-stop surging at rush hour are over. White-collar customers were the bulk of our customer base . Blue collars can’t afford the fees of an average ride with added on congestion pricing, and UPool/Shared are dead.
TLC will have no sympathy and will only be looking to make up for their losses by increasing fees and fines on drivers. As you say wave those money making days bye bye for A Very Long time .... they are History.

Uberlyft88

What happens if I paid for my insurance for the whole year.. Like a one time payment of 3600.. But I want to surrender my plates.. Do I get a refund for the 9 or 10 months that are left on that insurance?

aluber1968

What happens if I paid for my insurance for the whole year.. Like a one time payment of 3600.. But I want to surrender my plates.. Do I get a refund for the 9 or 10 months that are left on that insurance?
You will get a refund for the unused period minus 10% fee of that amount.
Problem is that DMV is closed right now.

Inshur New York