Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

How do I put down Uber and Lyft for my resume?

4K views 67 replies 40 participants last post by  Jlynn 
#1 ·
I'm trying to get a career or "real job" going while still doing the gig jobs on the side.

How should I put it down on the resume? Is 3 years of driving with Uber and Lyft enough or must I go back 5 years of work history?

#3 ·
What if those past work history is obsolete meaning the business could not be reached or be verified?

That would appear as if one made up a company and supposed work history within that company, that never happened...

Isn't 3 years standard since it isn't too far from the past?

You don't! Just use your regular work history. Go back as many years as you think it will help. Ten would be a good number if you're old enough.

#8 ·
For some jobs that makes sense to do, a gap in employment is definitely an eyebrow raiser for most interviewers

Sadly, if this user was pursuing employment in a quaternary sector or similar, even for something entry level, Lyft or Uber on a resume would throw the unemployable/can't take you seriously flag up. This is a constant topic in my office, as most professionals deem ridesharing or anything in the gig economy the same value they deem a burger flipper at McDonald's. While I don't agree with that way of thinking, since there are plenty of professionals I know, including myself, who do side work .. it's just something that most professionals, especially those who sit you down to interview in substantial paying corporations think

#30 ·
Although I've never had a resume, they are calling us independent contractors.
I must be in a pretty good market and
do a good job at this though.
With just high school education
any job I might be applying for
would most likely result in a pay cut..
A pay cut.... unless you look of the long term ramifications of everything uber is denying you. Most, some, many, a few, LOL, have no idea about long term financial security. That's why most are driving for uber....Your market is only as good as you can make it for yourself. Short term looks good for almost every driver. But what will you have to show for it in 10-15 years. Buckle down people.

#12 ·
Independent Contractor Transportation Network Company: Uber/Lyft LLC
  • Provide transportation and customer service to various clients maintaining a 4.9-5.0 rating.
  • maintain vehicle expenses, maintenance and mileage reports on spreadsheets for safety and taxes.
  • Problem solve with clients and negotiate issues.
  • Serve as an interface between the client and the parent company.
That is how I word it on my resume to cover gaps and to let the interviewer/recruiter know I am not just sitting around waiting on unemployment checks to roll in I am at least doing something.

#16 ·
What if those past work history is obsolete meaning the business could not be reached or be verified?

That would appear as if one made up a company and supposed work history within that company, that never happened...

I have participated in screening resumes and interviewing candidates for technical positions at the company I currently work for. If there is a gap on the resume, it doesn't necessarily disqualify the candidate as long as there was an explanation. Maybe don't put Uber or Lyft on the resume but you can bring it up in the interview after you've told everyone about your wonderful work experience.

For example, one time we interviewed a guy with a significant gap on his resume. His explanation was cheesy... He said he was a full-time volunteer scout leader. Now I've been a scout leader, and it's a lot of work, but unless you're getting paid for it you shouldn't be putting in 40 hours doing it .... Maybe 20. He also had some cheesy action words on his resume that he kept repeating, and when we asked him details he was a bit fuzzy.... like someone wrote his resume for him. We did not hire him.

I wouldn't worry about the company you worked for no longer being in business. I have a pretty good sense of when someone is telling the truth, so as long as someone is being truthful to me and their explanation makes sense I am fine with it.

#20 ·

Plenty of companies go out of business.

I've put down companies that no longer operate on my resume -- I should note I've been with my current employer for 15 years.

#24 · (Edited)
-----------------------
IMO -- you want to show activity, meaning that you were not jobless and idle. Also, if hired, the fact that you are driving or did drive for U/L will come up in conversation at work. If it was not on your resume, it could look bad to upper management.
I would list it. Also, your past employer went out of business. You note on the resume the reason for the closure and you can provide proof of employment if necessary. If there is any supervisor that you could give for a reference, that would be great.
I agree with others that 10 years is a good length. If they want more they will ask.
What looks bad is -- say you are 35 yrs. old. You show a lot of jobs where you only worked a year or two. It cost money for an employer to train you. They want someone that will stay long enough to be productive for the company. JMO

#27 · (Edited)
-----------------------
IMO -- you want to show activity, meaning that you were not jobless and idle.
I would list it. Also, your past employer went out of business. You note on the resume the reason for the closure and you can provide
I agree with your first part about listing it. However, you do not include how the employer went out of business on a resume. That info would be shared during the interview and on the application.

10 years of experience, if you've worked that long is the norm.

#31 ·
I would put it down on your resume exactly As what you did. If you did it full-time list how many hours a week you worked. include your earnings, tips.
My last career I was a sales manager. When I looked at resumes I wasn't interested in where they worked, as much as I was interested in how much they worked. I was looking for a history of people that We're Not Afraid to work hard.
Show me a resume where you worked 60 plus hours a week, and you got serious consideration for the job.

#32 ·
I would put it down on your resume exactly As what you did. If you did it full-time list how many hours a week you worked. include your earnings, tips.
Wages and salaries/hourly pay don't go on a resume. I've written over 300 resumes (It's part of what my former career entailed),

OP please look online for the items to include on resume, if you aren't familiar with creating one.

#38 ·
I may be old school but I have got the majority of my jobs by calling and following up on application status etc, times may of changed but the second an employer sees you are taking initiative, you are already kicked up a notch..then again these were for low paying jobs but I do believe it sets you apart from the endless stacks of resumes and applications. I have had shit jobs and have seen a stack of applications before...so, taking initiative is huge in an employer knowing you are ready to ‘work’, if nothing else a follow up email asking status of application or a thank for the interview email can work wonders. Has for me, but I am a solid worker and do not cut corners....

#49 ·
Write down as self employment. Employer as Uber cooperation.
Don't leave a gap in your employment history. You gotta show that you are hard working employee who has been willing to work and make money every where. 3 years at one work place will show that you are not an easy quitter.
When there is a gap, your new employer will think that you might be in somewhere like jail which is not good for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.