• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

How do I know if your luggage is gonna fit?

ZenUber

So I’m starting out my morning, waiting for a potential airport run. I get a ping from Caroline for an XL, 18 minutes away. It says it’s a 69 minute ride, so I know it must be an airport run. Within a minute I get a phone call. I declined the call like I always do. A minute later I get the voicemail. So I pulled over to listen to it. Pax says she has 5 riders with luggage and wants to make sure it will fit in my car. I would have texted back, but she doesn’t have text enabled. So I figure, I’ve never had a problem fitting things before. I continue heading to the pickup.

I arrive to find a family of five with 5 huge pieces of luggage. I try several configurations of packing their luggage, but it want fit. The husband wants to try ramming one piece in from the side and over top of the others. I said, no way, it will take out my cabin lights. Caroline says “I tried calling you to see if it would fit, and I couldn’t text you. I told her I don’t answer the phone when I’m driving, and she didn’t have text enabled so I couldn’t respond. They got a little grumpy and decided to take their own vehicle to the airport. I heard them mumbling something about How to cancel the ride. I just close the doors and drove off. Pulled over and did they cancel. Selected “luggage won’t fit” for the reason. Got a $14.40 cancel fee. Nice!

I understand they were under stress, and trying to plan for a family vacation. In the confusion, they thought to get they could make their Uber driver responsible for knowing if the luggage was going to fit. They can see what vehicle they’re getting, but I can’t see what their luggage is. And even if I could how am I supposed to know it’s going to fit until I try it. Am I supposed to carry a tape measure and do geometry calculations?

PioneerXi

Pax fault.

After ping acceptance, they see your vehicle. They have their luggage in front of them. They can make the calculation.

“Will my family and this luggage in front of me, fit the drivers vehicle?”

Prius? Probably not.

Ford Escape? Maybe.

Or maybe They could...just order one more size up to ensure that theydon’t have this issue?

Not your fault. Passenger failure to be responsible incurs a luggage fee.

Plus, they still had to pay for airport parking.

Declineathon

We're in the Service Industry in an era where Blame trumps Individual Responsibility.

HTFSIK if your luggage is going to fit, if your kids going to have an allergic reaction, if you like to be called Ma'am.

Couple that with a Passive agressive ratings system.

Its outrageous really that a oerson wouldnt just speak up and say, hey im freezing back here, please turn off the AC.

Instead weve got to decipher Rohits ..." some drivers find that asking a passenger if the temp is ok email" to mean what, turn it up? Down? Its one complaint in 1000, so ignore it? No training, no protocol.

Hey pax, cowgirl up and use your words.

DriverMark

Last week I had a return ride out of airport. Luckily for this dude, I was driving the van. He had ordered UberX. Long story, he was handicapped and if I were in my Mazda3 no way in hell his wheelchair would have fit in my car.

50 minute ride..... then Burger King (sigh).... then I'm out in BFE total opposite direction from my home, like almost hour half away. Thankfully DF matched me with 3 good rides starting from where I dropped him off heading back home so it all worked out in the end. Plus I got me a Whopper.........

Kodyhead

I usually tell them I have to look at the luggage as peoples interpretation of luggage size is different. I can usually tell by looking at all the luggage if it can fit.

However 6 people with luggage ain't fitting in my car but can manage with 5 people most of the time if most of the luggage is carryon size
Post automatically merged:

A lot of times when people say big suitcases it's actually carry on size lol

BlueNOX

Drive xl, travers last seats 8. Have gotten 5 pax and 5-6 good sized bags in. Takes some work, 3rd row is a spot seat so put one pax in the jump seat and work the rest.

I even have strapping if I ever need to put on the luggage rack up top.

freddieman

Im probably minority here but i would have answered phone. Whats the difference between reading text vs answering phone on bluetooth? I find reading text to be more dangerous than answering that phone call. Im sure u spent time trying to fit luggage in. Not worth the time spent driving there and time spent around figuring a way to fit everything in.

DriverMark

Strapping.... that's a good idea for the roof. Haven't needed to go that far with our Grand Caravan but might think about that. One family I had last week had 5 people and a lot of large suite cases. With 5 people was able to put the small seat down in the back and then squeeze all the luggage in. 1 more person though and wouldn't have been able to do that. Something have to go on people laps or between the middle cpts chairs.

Declineathon

Ingrates. Inch - mile people. Sure, ive got straps, but somehow that will be used against me.99% of the time theyll complain that the car should have been bigger. So 100% of the time im cancelling for too much luggage at 5:01 minutes.

We are in America where blame trumps individual responsibility..
We're in Pissed off Female Land of Complaints, where blame trumps individual responsibility.

ZenUber

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My vehicle formula:

6 People, either I take everyone and you call another Uber for the luggage or visa versa.
5 people, most luggage.
4 or less, lots of luggage.
That’s a good gauge. I’ll use that moving forward.
This is the first time I’ve had a situation where everything didn’t fit.

Drive xl, travers last seats 8. Have gotten 5 pax and 5-6 good sized bags in. Takes some work, 3rd row is a spot seat so put one pax in the jump seat and work the rest.

I drive a traverse. I was able to fold down the double seat side of the third row, which opened up those 2 seats for luggage, in addition to the designated trunk space. But they had 5 large full size suitcases. Even the kids had large pieces.

I forgot to mention that this was a scheduled pickup, so they planned ahead. But from what I saw, they were going to take at least 10 minutes or more getting ready to go. You know how a family on vacation is. The $14.40 cancel fee covered my time, but the 69 minute ride would have been better.

Last edited:

I drive an Accord on X/Lyft. Drove up to a house, 4 elderly adults in the driveway with a PILE of luggage. 4 large suitcases, 2 small suitcases, and an assortment of bags.

I was the 2nd car to show up! 1st was a Soul that had no chance. Old guy comes up to my window apologizing that he didn't know how to cancel. The Soul driver cancelled for him before arriving after a phone conversation. Then he requested X again! I arrive as he's trying to call me too.

They'd figured out the XL option just before I drove up and the other guy requested XL on his phone. 1st guy handed me a $5 so I didn't have to wait out the 5 minutes. Sucked though as it was a 30 mile airport trip I wasn't getting.

I also do not usually answer calls. Texts pop up and are read to me.

ZenUber

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Im probably minority here but i would have answered phone. Whats the difference between reading text vs answering phone on bluetooth? I find reading text to be more dangerous than answering that phone call. Im sure u spent time trying to fit luggage in. Not worth the time spent driving there and time spent around figuring a way to fit everything in.
I never answer the phone. I’ve had near accidents negotiating with pax on the phone, all the while with the GPS covered by the phone app. Pax should have had text turned on. She seemed to think that her lack of ability to text was somebody else’s fault. I have never received a phone call for an issue that couldn’t have waited till I arrived, or that the pax should have been able to resolve without my input. And it wouldn’t have changed anything. I thought I could fit everything. They wouldn’t have offered dimensions, and I wouldn’t have pulled over to do the math.

They obviously had concerns about weather it would fit, and obviously decided to make it my call. Big mistake. It’s all on them. And I saw their SUV. It was no bigger than mine. I bet the kids were laying on top of the luggage on the way to the airport. I bet the parents fought about it all the way there. And I wouldn’t be surprised if they got pulled over.

Chorch

How is texting better than talking? When texting, your eyes are not on the road. When speaking, at least you can see where you are going...