1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

How creepy some riders can be

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by Uguy22, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Uguy22

Uguy22

Driving:
    UberX
    2 weeks ago on a Saturday night around 11:30 pm I picked up a rider at a bar on Lincoln in L.P. The guy is in his 30 ‘s and asked to sit in the front seat. I did not like it but said OK. The guy is pretty chatty and a topic came up on historical events on WWII. Then I got a bing to pick up a girl 5 mn away on my way North. We continued our interesting discussion when all at once he asked me not to pick up the girl and invited to continue the discussion in a bar of his. I told him I cannot do that and Uber has strict rules regarding private contacts between Riders and Drivers. He then asked for my phone number which I politely refused to share mentioning again Uber policies. At that moment he said: what about I tell Uber you are driving under the influence? I kept my cool and responded: would you be ready to hurt me only because I cannot give you my coordinates or because we cannot continue our discussion? He smiled and apologized. I then just arrived at the spot where the second Rider is waiting for me. Now I am feeling better because I am having a witness. As usual he is very nice with the girl too and we continued the 3 of us our discussion as if nothing had occurred. As I arrived to his destination just before getting out of the car he shaked my hand and assured me he did not mean what he said. The girl seating in the back then said this guy is a weirdo, what did he say to you? I told her the whole story and she was stunned. She said right away if you need a witness I am here for you. I thanked her of course and she felt sorry for me and tipped me $5. Moral of the story: Would I have kicked him out my car instead of keeping my cool and playing the nice guy it could have ended in my termination or at least for a couple of days playing with Uber « I said, he said » . By the time I arrived home around 4:00 am, I had no desire to report him except if he would have reported me which he did not. Life goes...

2. cumonohito

cumonohito

Driving:
    UberX
    That is a new one to me. Perhaps best to have him kicked and report to Uber. The fact that he mentioned that he will report you being under the influence to Uber means that he has thought about seriously doing it, and certainly did not care about the drivers livelyhood.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    Sher Singh, tohunt4me and Pusher like this.
  3. lmwzwwj

lmwzwwj

The weirdo found you attractive so he proposed a date. Even you'd tried your best to refuse him politely, it apparently broke his heart. Like cumonohito said, the man had thought about seriously retaliating you. You'd spoiled a date that can otherwise help that man compose a ballad based on gay love.

Sher Singh and tohunt4me like this.
  4. Funkeetooown

Funkeetooown

5. Pusher

Pusher

Driving:
    UberX
    As mentioned just one more reason for a dash cam, even though in a few threads , one featured on the main forum and one on the Chicago sub forum has shown that Uber is not reviewing these in these cases. This is another reason that drivers need some representation to counter incidents of false accusations such as this and those mentioned by the OP’s on those threads.

Even though this rider was not attempting to scam a free ride in this case, it is evident that through his mentioning of reporting for intoxicated or impaired driving that he has thought this out. He may have even used it on a different driver in the past. Allegations such as these are instant deactivation and then The onus is back on the driver to prove innocent. Uber is making it that much harder to do so and the Pax in many ways know they have the upper hand if they are slighted for whatever reason.

6. Tom Harding

Tom Harding

Driving:
    UberX
    Apparently you do not have a dash cam that records the cabin with sound as well as oncoming traffic. You should still report the rider as he may do the same with other drivers.
    I suggest you get one ASAP. Or at least get this:
    [​IMG]

tohunt4me likes this.
  7. EddieG

EddieG

Sounds like this guy has played this game before, or he is a current / former driver.

8. UberBeemer

UberBeemer Moderator

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I suggest you send this account of what happened in to support, and request not to be paired with this rider again. Let them know he made you feel unsafe, and that he tried to blackmail you. You might even want to report him to police.

9. SatMan

SatMan

If he had a dash cam he could have played the audio portion to support over the phone, or taken it to a hub. Riders do strange things while drunk. Asking for a "date" or something is easy to blow off. But when there is a threat involved it becomes a different matter. There needs to be a paper trail incase this guy escalates his behaviour to a point where a driver IS deactivated because of it. You need to report this. He probably won't be kicked off the app, but it just may help the next unsuspecting driver.

MHR, tohunt4me and Pusher like this.
  10. ROUGUE X

ROUGUE X

Driving:
    UberX
    Again dashcam

SatMan likes this.
  11. Funkeetooown

Funkeetooown

As far as Uber refusing to look at any dash cam footage, honestly, who gives a flying fig what uber does. I guarantee you if you are sexually harassed by a rider (threatening your livelihood is textbook harassment), have video of said incident and take that video to any media outlet, it will be front page news. Uber failing to protect drivers from harassment is exactly the type of thing that could break that ridiculous arbitration clause, it's willful negligence.

MHR, Ad nauseam, OP-Matt and 2 others like this.
  12. SatMan

SatMan

If this happened 2 weeks ago and it's still on your mind.....That's called a gut feeling. Read my other post here.

It could be a start to something big if we all did that. Start saving those videos no matter how trivial you think they are. Post them on YouTube with a link here. Or someone start a new topic related to it. OH, I forgot!!! No one has time for that. Until it happens to them.

This is partly why drivers need organization and what will happen if we are successful:

Independent Drivers Guild
    Deactivation Appeals Panel

After months of negotiations, the Independent Drivers Guild won our members the right to a fair deactivation appeal with Uber management. If you have been deactivated from using the Uber app, there is now due process for you to be able to work on the app again. The Independent Drivers Guild is the first labor organization in the nation to have negotiated a fair process for this crucial protection.

If Uber has permanently taken away your access to the app, please apply to appeal now on their website.

Please note: do not admit guilt when applying for a hearing. If you would like help writing what happened on their application, please contact us and we’ll have a Guild steward help you.

There are three key parts of the deactivation appeals panel that make the process fair:

• The reactivation decision is made by a five-member “peer panel” made up of your fellow working drivers who are jointly chosen by IDG and Uber;
    • You have the right to be represented by professional Independent Drivers Guild representatives to help make your argument;
    • The appeals hearing is monitored and facilitated by the American Arbitration Association, which is a not-for-profit, public service organization founded in 1926.
    The IDG only has power because tens of thousands of members are signed up, hundreds of drivers are organizing in the streets, in the lots, and at committee meetings building worker-power from the ground up. Our goal is to ensure basic protections and working condition improvements for all working drivers. Due process for deactivations is an important step in that direction.

Who We Are
    A project of District 15 of the Machinist Union that understands the independent status of the drivers but fights to provide a process to resolve worker-related issues and enhance the earning ability of all drivers.

Learn more about IDG
    Unlock the benefits of IDG membership

Join
    Already a member? Log In NowTom, the thread where the driver was deactivated on a accusation of intoxicated or impaired driving is one of the reasons for getting representation. Without this kind of representation there really is no protection against this kind of false claim or any of the others that Pax conjure up.

Pusher, Yesterday at 1:18 PM

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  13. Donlen

Donlen

Based on what you wrote, your first red flag was when he asked you not to pick up the girl. Why would any reasonable person ask you to do such an out of the ordinary thing? Your second red flag was when he threatened to falsely report you to Uber for driving while under the influence. Even though he said, "what if," it's still a threat. At this point, you should be carefully pulling over and politely requesting this bad guy to exit your car, then end his trip. (I will refer to him as "bad guy" just for the sake of argument.) Once he gets out, you could either continue to pick up the girl, or cancel on her and then drive to a safe and far enough away location from the bad guy (make turns so that he loses sight of your vehicle) and then immediately report him to Uber and tell them everything. It is in the best interest of the driver to always report the other party first before they report you. If you wait too long or fail to report the other party, the other party could file a false report on you first and then you could get temporarily or permanently deactivated by Uber. It is always best to be the first one to report and to act as quickly as possible. Reporting tomorrow is too late and even after the very next ride may be too late if the other party is already filing theirs.

With the girl offering to be a witness and you using her as a witness may likely fail and make both you and her look bad. This is because the girl was not actually present inside your car while your bad experience with the bad guy rider was happening. This would be considered hearsay, which is typically not permissible evidence in a court of law. The defense attorney could try to discredit you and also the girl. How could the girl's statement possibly be genuine if she wasn't actually present inside your vehicle during the time the bad guy was giving you an uncomfortable experience? You may say that the girl was in fact in your car when the bad guy was also in your car, but the fact is, the girl was not in your car while you were having the bad experience with the bad guy. The only thing the girl witnessed was the fact that he was in your car, but nothing else. While the girl was in your car, you stated that he acted normal, so that means the only thing the girl could witness was normal behavior. Telling the girl everything that happened prior to her getting in your car is hearsay. How could she possibly verify that anything you say is the truth? The girl was not there while the bad part was happening.

You did state that at the end of the guy's ride, he shook your hand and tried to assure you that he did not mean what he said, which that part the girl likely witnessed herself. However, it still does not change the fact that she did not witness or heard a damn thing prior to her getting into your vehicle. You even stated that the girl asked you what he said, so everything you told her may likely be considered hearsay and probably won't be permitted as evidence in a court of law if such a situation goes that far.

At the beginning of your original post, you stated this happened two weeks ago, and at the end of your post, you stated you had no desire to report him and you believe he has not reported you. Okay, perhaps it all turned out well in the end. "Life goes..." as you stated. But what if he did report you first and Uber deactivates you? What if he suddenly reports you tomorrow? What if the guy does this again to another driver and next time actually harms the other driver? What if the guy was reported before by someone else and Uber is waiting to see if he'll be bad again? If you don't report, then Uber won't know. Without your own report to Uber first, you're gonna look bad in Uber's eyes if the guy suddenly reports you, even if it's false. I say again, every driver who is a victim of something (extreme attitude, sexual harassment, bodily fluid discharge, verbal or physical assault, etc.) should always report very bad riders right away with little or no delay, and also be the first to report before the other party does. Not only should you report a bad rider as quickly as possible, you should also always request Uber for you to not be paired with that rider ever again.

In case I am coming across to you like I'm scolding you or blaming you for anything, I absolutely am not doing either. I am merely trying my best to convey potential problems you may face down the road with how you handled the situation on your part. And you seem to be missing the most important thing in this situation... your safety and well-being. If you really do consider your safety and well-being to be very important, then in my opinion, your actions seem to contradict this. With respect to you, allow me to explain further.

You chose to continue the ride with the bad guy. Every second the bad guy is in your car with you is every second your safety is at risk. In my opinion, you should have ejected him quickly. You really don't know what any stranger is capable of and we drivers let these strangers in our cars often without a second thought. If you feel uncomfortable, for goodness sake, let them out! Uber has communicated that a driver has a right, not a privilege, to refuse or eject any rider that a driver feels uncomfortable with. (Don't break anti-discrimination laws, by the way.) It could possibly be later argued that you felt safe the entire time and nothing really bad happened because you didn't try to eject the guy from your car. Yes, you stated that you declined his advances, but there is something missing that you don't have which I will reveal in the next paragraph down below. Instead, you chose to take him all the way to your destination and then when the girl got in, everything went on as normal. This is why, in my opinion, the bad rider should be ejected quickly and you should file a report quickly. What if the situation escalates? What if it turns violent? The guy even threatened to file a false report against you. As a fellow Uber driver, I do not want you or any Uber driver to be harmed!

You don't have a dashcam. What you wrote is a classic case of hearsay. He said, she said. Although it is very true that a dashcam cannot save you while you are being verbally and/or physically attacked by someone who doesn't care that they are being recorded, a dashcam provides evidence. Most riders are more likely to behave appropriately when they know they are being recorded.

In conclusion, there are many bad people out there. Evil people. Never underestimate what another human being can do to you at any time. I wish you the best and I sincerely hope that you never get hurt or get falsely reported upon.

14. SatMan

SatMan

Chicagoland Driver Meet and Greet
    Where: Chicagoland Driver Meet and Greet Monday October 1st located Dennys Bolingbrook
    Interstate 55 Bolingbrook exit route 53.

When:Monday October 1st 8pm

Why? Chicago Drivers can rise up and unite to bring positive change that benefits ALL of Chicagolands 30 thousand drivers, including side hustles, weekend only drivers, part time, seasonal and full time.

We can just all sit back and moan about anything else they come up with or take some steps to bring about change, come on out and present some of your ideas, possible solutions, etc.

We hear over and over that it can not be done, but New York has already proven that it can.

Pusher and tohunt4me like this.
  15. Rebu-tfyl

Rebu-tfyl

He probably did it before, false driver impaired report

Pusher and EddieG like this.
  16. chitownXdriver

chitownXdriver

Driving:
    UberXL
    You are forgetting his biggest mistake which should be mentioned as #1. Accepting poo rides (unless there was a hefty surge)

Pusher and EddieG like this.
  17. CSD

CSD

I hope you rated him a "1" and explained the situation to uber via the app. They called customer service on that ahole.

18. Lol yea dashcam footage or it never happened!