How City of New York Sold Out Taxi Drivers and their Families to Uber

Inshur

Slow Joe

Is an Uber driver not also part of a NYC working family? Why do I have the responsibility to maintain the market value of a medallion?

I feel for those people; I really do. But as a business owner, you're subject to risk. Things happen; markets change. I used to be a mortgage broker in Florida during the boom. When the bust hit, all of my real estate investments became nearly worthless. I lost my shirt. I had to file Chapter 7 bankruptcy. nobody produced slick videos for me.

When driverless cars come out, we're ALL out of jobs. You better be ready.

Rsabcd

Is an Uber driver not also part of a NYC working family? Why do I have the responsibility to maintain the market value of a medallion?

I feel for those people; I really do. But as a business owner, you're subject to risk. Things happen; markets change. I used to be a mortgage broker in Florida during the boom. When the bust hit, all of my real estate investments became nearly worthless. I lost my shirt. I had to file Chapter 7 bankruptcy. nobody produced slick videos for me.

The market is picking up again down here, finally.

Slow Joe

The market is picking up again down here, finally.
Haha yeah I know. I have a standing job offer with my old company down there, and I know I'd kill it again. But, like a fool, I moved up here and got married. To an NYC tour guide who loves NYC. I'm stuck. :-)

Rsabcd

Haha yeah I know. I have a standing job offer with my old company down there, and I know I'd kill it again. But, like a fool, I moved up here and got married. To an NYC tour guide who loves NYC. I'm stuck. :smiles:
NYC isn't a bad place to be stuck!

Where in FL were you?

Slow Joe

NYC isn't a bad place to be stuck!

Where in FL were you?
Southwest Florida. Cape Coral, specifically. The Cape is kind of cool and there are some youth-oriented things to do, but it's still predominantly a retirement city. Some of the towns and areas around it are gorgeous, though. I miss it. But I get to visit all the time so I'm good.

And I moved up here because I'm a comedian/writer and I needed to evolve, so I live in the perfect place for it. So I'm pretty happy. It's just when I hear how well real estate is doing down there, I start to get the itch again. :smiles:

The Mollusk

You have a responsibility to follow the law. Your company does not .

naplestom75

Southwest Florida. Cape Coral, specifically. The Cape is kind of cool and there are some youth-oriented things to do, but it's still predominantly a retirement city. Some of the towns and areas around it are gorgeous, though. I miss it. But I get to visit all the time so I'm good.

And I moved up here because I'm a comedian/writer and I needed to evolve, so I live in the perfect place for it. So I'm pretty happy. It's just when I hear how well real estate is doing down there, I start to get the itch again. :smiles:
NYC>>>>>>>infinity>>>Crap Coral. You are fine.

Brooklyn

I see what you're saying but these people bought these medallions directly from the city..

naplestom75

If the city has charged a tax on the transfer of these medallions, they should have to refund every current medallion holder on the tax that they paid. when they bought theirs.

naplestom75

I see what you're saying but these people bought these medallions directly from the city..
From my understanding, very few medallion owners, especially the individual ones, bought them from the city, they bought them from a re-seller via auction or a broker. This means the city is not directly responsible for the amount that they paid.

Slow Joe

NYC>>>>>>>infinity>>>Crap Coral. You are fine.
I have a fondness for the Cape. I grew up there. Cape High Alumni. :-)

But yeah, if I ever move back down, It'll probably be to Tampa or a suburb of Tampa. I lived there five years and have regretted leaving ever since.

Rustyshackelford

Can I ask why you are jock riding uber so hard and no other base/company? Is it because they dont have as deep pockets and you have ulterior motives. Lyft doesnt have wheel chair accessible vehicles, neither does Gett, or Juno, or any other single black car base. Why uber? Because they have the money to pay you guys off?

Im calling you out on your BS, you guys keep pushing, I will bring this up with every news outlet, and social media site. You are a bunch of crooks who do not have disabled peoples interest at hearts. Just looking for a pay day.

Uber Driver 007

Someone should make a video titled:

How the Filthy "F--k You" Attitude of NYC Yellow Drivers Bought Them to Their Knees

I'm not a TNC fan-boy in the sense that they all decided to treat their drivers like sh!t too, but I have no remorse for the yellow taxi industry. You guys dug your own graves by not evolving, adapting, and the constant shmuck attitude of never treating your passengers with respect.

Will you ever admit to that?

LGC

Someone should make a video titled:

How the Filthy "F--k You" Attitude of NYC Yellow Drivers Bought Them to Their Knees

I'm not a TNC fan-boy in the sense that they all decided to treat their drivers like sh!t too, but I have no remorse for the yellow taxi industry. You guys dug your own graves by not evolving, adapting, and the constant shmuck attitude of never treating your passengers with respect.

Will you ever admit to that?
Agreed, except for the comment about evolving and adapting.......

Medallion owners aren't able to make a move without the TLC approving it.

Tough to blame them for not evolving when the process of adapting to new technology requires them having to deal with the TLC.

Rustyshackelford

Tough to blame them for not evolving when the process of adapting to new technology requires them having to deal with the TLC.
Greed got in the way, medallion prices skyrocketed and people were just focused on getting the price higher, not worried about the drivers, or pax. You think drivers were buying medallions at 1.2 million? No it was hedge-funds cushioning their portfolios because rentals were "stable". 40% are owner operators? I want to see the real numbers on that. And those owner operators probably bought them when they were under 500k.
If tlc cared about the driver, they would only allow ownership by owner operators, that would have controlled the price and protected drivers. You reap what you sow.

Hackenstein

When they let Uber in, the TLC blocked an app for yellow cabs. Spare me the 'didn't evolve' garbage. Uber operates on a separate regulatory playing field, that isn't evolution it's old fashioned criminality. This is the same company which stormed out of Atlanta over fingerprinting and proper background checks.

Rustyshackelford

When they let Uber in, the TLC blocked an app for yellow cabs. Spare me the 'didn't evolve' garbage. Uber operates on a separate regulatory playing field, that isn't evolution it's old fashioned criminality. This is the same company which stormed out of Atlanta over fingerprinting and proper background checks.
Atlanta or Houston?

Uber Driver 007

Yes you're right however the collective attitude and behavior of the drivers has to account for something too. TLC didn't tell them to ignore the person hailing with a suitcase if you don't want an airport run. TLC didn't tell them to ignore the brown person hailing and instead stop half a block away where you saw the white couple hailing. TLC didn't tell them to drive like maniacs. TLC didn't tell them to absurdly hustle some unsuspected passenger needing to go to Hoboken or Garden City late at night without a choice. And on top of all this, still demand a tip for being an @@@@@@@.

Those are just a handful of hundreds of reasons TNC apps became as popular as quickly as they did. Everyone wanted an alternative.

If you've ever been at the holding lots or at a yellow dispatch base you will realize the way many drivers feel about their riders and it ain't pretty.

Yellow taxi industry keeps biting the hand that feeds them and now they are all shocked that the hand decided not to feed them any longer.

It was all good for as long as TLC protected the yellow taxi industry for decades but now that they aren't any longer ... they all mad.

ninja warrior

Yes you're right however the collective attitude and behavior of the drivers has to account for something too. TLC didn't tell them to ignore the person hailing with a suitcase if you don't want an airport run. TLC didn't tell them to ignore the brown person hailing and instead stop half a block away where you saw the white couple hailing. TLC didn't tell them to drive like maniacs. TLC didn't tell them to absurdly hustle some unsuspected passenger needing to go to Hoboken or Garden City late at night without a choice. And on top of all this, still demand a tip for being an @@@@@@@.

Those are just a handful of hundreds of reasons TNC apps became as popular as quickly as they did. Everyone wanted an alternative.

If you've ever been at the holding lots or at a yellow dispatch base you will realize the way many drivers feel about their riders and it ain't pretty.

Yellow taxi industry keeps biting the hand that feeds them and now they are all shocked that the hand decided not to feed them any longer.

It was all good for as long as TLC protected the yellow taxi industry for decades but now that they aren't any longer ... they all mad.
You're trying to tell me that people who drive for these app companies actually like their passengers, unlike the yellow cabbie? They fear the passenger, it's a constant feeling of unease at the thought of being fired at any given moment. If you have a congregation of the so called app company drivers, they would @@@@@ and moan about their passengers just like the cabbie.

Inshur New York