• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

How can I make more money from airport trips?

LeoRideShare

I am a new driver (both Lyft and Uber). Hear from friends that airport trips are good, but also heard there are a lot of short trips. Can I cancel the trips I don't like? How do you guys make sure the money you make is worth the wait?

John McYeet

You can cancel the trips you don’t want to take or just not accept them. I think if you cancel after you meet up with the pax it’ll hurt you or if you deny the trip it’ll hurt you too. The small trips add up sometimes though. And the tips for the small trips add up as well.

Juggalo9er

You can cancel the trips you don’t want to take or just not accept them. I think if you cancel after you meet up with the pax it’ll hurt you or if you deny the trip it’ll hurt you too. The small trips add up sometimes though. And the tips for the small trips add up as well.
Airports are generally terrible
Refusing a trip will not cause any negative action
Cancelling after accepting will lead to deactivation
Welcome to the ant community

Pax Collector

I see you're in SF. I'm a Bay Area driver myself. That being said, waiting in SFO queue with hundreds of other drivers isn't a winning strategy, especially considering most of the trips are going to be ~$20 runs to the city. 45+ pings on base will take you way out of lucrative areas, thus ending up with you having to dead mile back to the airport. That's not to mention how horrible the SFO pig pen is to begin with.

SJC is a much better airport, as the queue isn't in a lot and spread out in a much wider area. Trips out of SJC could net you around $10 to $20 a run with little dead mile and the wait is usually not that terrible. But, that's not always the case and your results may vary.

I don't see how working the airports exclusively could be profitable. You're in a good market. Work the city, rush hour, tech areas, hotels and you'll do much better than someone who sits in the airport queue all day.

hayjude50

I am a new driver (both Lyft and Uber). Hear from friends that airport trips are good, but also heard there are a lot of short trips. Can I cancel the trips I don't like? How do you guys make sure the money you make is worth the wait?
If you’re in Chicago, the airport is terrible, now that they eliminated the rematch

Merc7186

I make money on airport rides by avoiding the airport queue altogether. If I get a request from the airport, it is because I am nearby and it is surging...

reg barclay

Uber does not deactivate drivers accounts for declining incoming requests. If a drivers accepts rides and then cancels them a lot, then Uber could deactivate their account. Cancelling after arriving at the riders location and starting the trip, is more likely to lead to complaints from riders, especially if the driver tells them the reason is because they don't want to go to a particular destination, which is a big no no.

Philly215

Thank you all! What are the common reasons that you'd cancel trips at airports?
Long wait is the main reason I avoid airport pickups. I could be giving 2 or 3 rides instead of waiting in the queue for an hour. You are losing money by waiting. I rarely do airport pickups. I’d go to the queue if I’m near the airport and there are less than 70 UberX cars or I feel like wasting time. Other than that, forget it.

mbd

Some pros do airport runs 7-8 times a day ...Algo probably identifies them , then will give short distance pings, then mix in some good long runs
I am going to guess 10% of the drivers
With high ratings and high acceptance rate get out of the queue way faster than reg drivers. No reason for u/l to keep that driver in the queue for too long.
If your ratings are low, you could get short distance runs, but you get to move up in the queue next time out

Newbies get out of the queue fast with good runs ( at least for the first few weeks )

freddieman

A newbie should experience what short trips are like. Quit trying to eat the filet without tasting the fat.