• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

How Busy is Lyft in RI?

SailingWithThe Breeze

I've been lurking on this site for a few months and finally decided to join. Love all the info and wisdom being shared here!

As of today, the current new driver bonus for Lyft in RI is $150 whereas the new driver bonus for Uber is zero. I live on Aquidneck, but am more than happy to drive anywhere in Rhode Island & Fall River. (I won't consider Boston until I've got things dialed in.)

Generally-speaking, how busy is Lyft in Rhode Island this time of year? Just trying to gauge if getting 50 rides in the first month is going to be a struggle for someone driving 15-20 hours a week.

I will eventually sign-up to drive for Uber too, but I'm going to hold out until Uber offers a bonus.

Thanks!

I've been lurking on this site for a few months and finally decided to join. Love all the info and wisdom being shared here!

As of today, the current new driver bonus for Lyft in RI is $150 whereas the new driver bonus for Uber is zero. I live on Aquidneck, but am more than happy to drive anywhere in Rhode Island & Fall River. (I won't consider Boston until I've got things dialed in.)

Generally-speaking, how busy is Lyft in Rhode Island this time of year? Just trying to gauge if getting 50 rides in the first month is going to be a struggle for someone driving 15-20 hours a week.

I will eventually sign-up to drive for Uber too, but I'm going to hold out until Uber offers a bonus.

Thanks!
I was hoping there were a few RI Lyft drivers visiting this forum that would chip in with their thoughts, but perhaps they are out driving.

As an update, the current sign-up bonus as of today (which changes all the time) was only $40, given out in 50-cent increments per ride, during your first 30 days, up to a maximum of $40. Pretty ho-hum, but I guess something is better than nothing. It should be about a week before I am approved and will at least report back here after 30 days to answer my question above in case it helps anyone else.

SailingWithThe Breeze

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you for the feedback, but I do have a few days on the platform now and can report some real-world numbers. Last Friday, I went to Providence and went online at 5pm and stayed very busy. (I’m currently on Lyft only.) I worked until 3 am and took 90 mins off to get some dinner around 8 pm and I took another 30-min break around 11pm. I was basically online for approx 8 hours and I did 23 rides.

I drove on Monday starting at 6:30am and I was online for 9.5 hours and did 19 rides, with one ride being just over an hour.

It’s hard to really judge based off two days, but I already racked up 42 rides in that 2-day timeframe. I haven’t measured the clock, but it never seems like I go that long without a Lyft request and when I do get a few minutes in-between, I’m thankful as it gives me time to stretch and go to the bathroom.

SailingWithThe Breeze

Update: I have worked 5 days and completed 93 rides. My time was split between Providence and Boston. I don’t think it’s hard at all to hit the number of rides needed for an initial sign-on bonus.

BostonTaxiDriver

Update: I have worked 5 days and completed 93 rides. My time was split between Providence and Boston. I don’t think it’s hard at all to hit the number of rides needed for an initial sign-on bonus.
Since you live in RI, do you feel confident enough now to drive there exclusively, or do you feel you must also dabble in Boston (or at least for big events in Boston)?

SailingWithThe Breeze

Keep in mind that I'm still new and my thoughts are only based off 93 rides at this point and time. Also, I'm only driving on the Lyft platform. (I will add Uber when I can score a decent sign-on bonus.)

I hardly have to wait for a ping while driving in Providence, but the pay is so much lower in Rhode Island compared to Mass. The difference in pay is significant. RI is $1.10 base fare, 80 cents mile, 17 cents min. Mass is $2 base, $1.24 mile, 20 cents min. You're making approximately 55% more in Mass and that is significant.

So the pay is higher in Mass. But in my very limited experience I've stayed slightly busier in RI. One side benefit to RI is Lyft Line is not offered at this time so you don't have to deal with that. Also, maybe they come later, but I have not been offered any kind of weekly incentive here in RI yet and I don't know if that's because I'm assigned to the Providence market and they don't offer as many bonuses here compared to Mass or if it's just because I need to hit a milestone of more rides/time before they offer incentives.

Also, I have not driven much in Newport yet since it is off-season and things don't start to pick up there until May.

I'll continue to dabble between the RI market and the Mass market to see how they pan out. It also may be different once I start driving for both Lyft and Uber. But in the end, if a RI driver doesn't mind adding the commute miles into Boston, I suspect you can make a lot more money in Boston.

Last edited:

WebVuDu

How are you able to drive in the Providence area as well as Boston. I live in Massachusetts, right on the Rhode Island border, and Lyft is only allowing me to drive in Norfolk County Massachusetts. It says that I cannot leave my home service area into Worcester County Massachusetts, nor south into Rhode Island. It's in Massachusetts regulation. Does the Rhode Island area allow you to pick up in Massachusetts as well?

Mendez84

I drive Uber and Lyft , current location is Massachusetts but i often drive both in Rhode Island , there isn't no information so far from either that i can't work in Rhode Island , actually i live 10 minutes away from Rhode Island board and as i turn on the app from my home i get requests from Rhode Island automatically , just keep in mind that the pay in Rhode Island is very bad for both uber and lyft , you get way more if you drive in Mass , just that if you live far from Boston then you need to see if it's worth it to spend that hour to drive there and the cost per mile of the car and Gas , but Lyft may be starting to get busy now with school , most the time in RI i use more uber than lyft , the waiting between a drop off a customer and the next request is too long

Goodellsux

How are you able to drive in the Providence area as well as Boston. I live in Massachusetts, right on the Rhode Island border, and Lyft is only allowing me to drive in Norfolk County Massachusetts. It says that I cannot leave my home service area into Worcester County Massachusetts, nor south into Rhode Island. It's in Massachusetts regulation. Does the Rhode Island area allow you to pick up in Massachusetts as well?
This doesn't sound right at all. I've never heard of any rideshare limiting you to a county. They go by markets. Ask them which market they have you in as a base.

If you have a DPU clearance certificate for MA, then have them set your market as Boston. That way you can drive anywhere you want.

Providence market is terrible. You will be lucky to take in minimum wage before expenses

josedeleon19

Hi guys, I just started doing uber about two weeks ago, I live in the Providence area and my car is registered in RI, yesterday on Columbus day I get a pax to Bryant university, then I get pinged from another pax in Woonsocket going to Bellingham MA just on the other side of RI, pax tells me he's doing a round trip, I said ok, when I got to his destination I asked him if he could request uber again for me to accept but the uber app didn't allow me go online because my car was not allowed to operate in MA, I was wondering how does that work? Btw pax paid me in cash for the trip back.

Mendez84

Hi guys, I just started doing uber about two weeks ago, I live in the Providence area and my car is registered in RI, yesterday on Columbus day I get a pax to Bryant university, then I get pinged from another pax in Woonsocket going to Bellingham MA just on the other side of RI, pax tells me he's doing a round trip, I said ok, when I got to his destination I asked him if he could request uber again for me to accept but the uber app didn't allow me go online because my car was not allowed to operate in MA, I was wondering how does that work? Btw pax paid me in cash for the trip back.
after all you made better deal with the cash vs Uber app , but you could've ask the pax to update his/hers location when you drop her off without closing the ride , i like Lyft better for this because the pax can add a second location and no issues like this ..

panda88GT

Jose

You need to tell uber to add you to the boston market. You'll goal a SECOND more rigorous background check and driving check.

If have ANYTHING that makes you have second thoughts, don't do it! If you don't pass the Mass checks you will not be allowed to drive anywhere!!!

Lyft is different, if you fail the second checks Lyft will let oyu drive in RI

WebVuDu

I live in Massachusetts, but right on the Rhode Island line. I thought I might benefit by registering in Rhode Island rather than Massachusetts because I'm closer to Providence than I am to Boston. But in the end it was a better choice to register in Boston. By the way, by Boston they mean everywhere from Boston to Worcester and from New Hampshire to the cape. Being registered in Boston gives you two Security checks, the additional one allows you to pick up at Logan Airport ( make sure you carry a copy of your background check with you). Plus when registered in the Boston area you can pick up in Southern New Hampshire and Vermont, all of Massachusetts, all of Rhode Island, and part of Connecticut I think. The only downside I can think of for you is that you will only get notifications for surge areas that are in the Boston area, and not ones that are possibly right next to you in the Rhode Island area.

panda88GT

the surges you can see depend on your location not where you are registered. I registred in Boston but drive in RI and can Boston surge if im in MA and PVD surge if I'm in RI

josedeleon19

after all you made better deal with the cash vs Uber app , but you could've ask the pax to update his/hers location when you drop her off without closing the ride , i like Lyft better for this because the pax can add a second location and no issues like this ..
Yes I did, I realized that after I saw how much I made the first trip, I made a little more, pax was really nice and understanding, I realized I could've ask him to update the location but since I'm new I didn't know, now I know how it works, thanks for the info, on lyft the other day I had a pax with 1 stop first and I was a little confused, I accidentally hit drop off without even starting the trip so I had to gps my way to the first location lol.

josedeleon19

Jose

You need to tell uber to add you to the boston market. You'll goal a SECOND more rigorous background check and driving check.

If have ANYTHING that makes you have second thoughts, don't do it! If you don't pass the Mass checks you will not be allowed to drive anywhere!!!

Lyft is different, if you fail the second checks Lyft will let oyu drive in RI
Thanks for the info! I have nothing to fear :smiles: I'll give it try, I wasn't sure how the driving worked if you're licensed and registered in RI, I wasn't sure what was preventing me from driving there, thanks man!