How big capacity of SD card should I get for my dash cam?

Noexcuse19

I bought a Vantrue N4 dash cam recently. It's a 3-channel dash cam(front, cabin, rear) so I'm wondering if a 128gb SD card is enough or should I get a bigger capacity SD card? Any advice?

Taxi2Uber

Depends.
Do you drive 1 hr a day or 12 hrs a day?
Are you going to transfer files onto computer/hard drive everyday?
Specs say your camera can handle 256gb max, so simple answer, get 256.

I don't have the Vantrue, but my dashcam is 2-channel 1080p and 128gb max.
I can go about 10hrs before files start to get written over with loop recording.

SpinalCabbage

I run a Vantrue N2 Pro. It is a dual cam. I use 128gb cards and carry two so I can swap them when and if needed. As I generally stuck with 4-6 hour shifts one card covers the entire shift for me. I picked 128gb due to price. With 256gb cards being more affordable now, I'd use them instead of 128gb due to you recording three channels. In fact I might switch to 256gb myself.

Last edited:

Stevie The magic Unicorn

Enough to keep 2 weeks worth of driving on seperate cards.

One week in the camera active and a second card that has last weeks data on it. Every sunday you swap the card and wipe the older one.

the idea being that any false accusations will occur within 2 weeks.

The idea situation would be to store a months worth of videos.

_Tron_

Last edited:

NicFit

I have a 128gb card in my blackvue. I don’t have the video settings turned all the way up and it stores weeks of video. Do you really need 4K recordings? Turn it down to a medium framerate 1080p and make the card last longer

LyftUberFuwabolewa

The biggest one it can hold. Ideally it will hold more than a full days worth of driving.

Get more than one card. It's good to swap the card each day so that way you not only have the current days worth of driving on the currently active card but you have the days before driving on your spare card.

You also want to have more than one card because if you have an event that you highly suspect is going to require you sending the video to the rideshare company you're gonna want to pull the card right away once you shut down the camera. Then pop your spare card in for the rest of the day's driving.

Noexcuse19

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

One week in the camera active and a second card that has last weeks data on it. Every sunday you swap the card and wipe the older one.

Thanks
Post automatically merged:

The biggest one it can hold. Ideally it will hold more than a full days worth of driving.

Get more than one card. It's good to swap the card each day so that way you not only have the current days worth of driving on the currently active card but you have the days before driving on your spare card.

You also want to have more than one card because if you have an event that you highly suspect is going to require you sending the video to the rideshare company you're gonna want to pull the card right away once you shut down the camera. Then pop your spare card in for the rest of the day's driving.
Thanks for the tip

estore009

I bought a Vantrue N4 dash cam recently. It's a 3-channel dash cam(front, cabin, rear) so I'm wondering if a 128gb SD card is enough or should I get a bigger capacity SD card? Any advice?
Not support 512Gb card or 400Gb card? Might give it a try with a 512Gb card!

_Tron_

Noexcuse19, if you come back to this thread, why don't you give us some shots of the three channel rig looks when it is set up. I think most folks have the two channel rig.

Mash Ghasem

You can't hold one week in the camera, because you can't fit that much on a single memory card even with the dashcam configured to run at its lowest resolution-- and running a dashcam at anything below its maximum resolution can defeat the purpose of having the dashcam to begin with as the video will be small and license plates and other details will not be visible.

I have a Vantrue N2 Pro, the older 2-lens version of OP's N4. I have it running at max resolution, with 3-minute looped clips. That has been yielding video clips that average 278,806,720 bytes per 3-minute file per lens. That's about 1,548,926 bytes per second per lens. Using a 128GB card, I'm at near-capacity after 11 hours.

The OP has the N4 which has 3 lenses. Assuming the same average video rate from above and running at maximum resolution with 3 lenses of the N4, I'm estimating a 128G card will fit 7.6 hours and a 256G card will fit 15.3 hours.