1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

How Are You Tracking Miles for Taxes??

Discussion in 'Taxes' started by skytessa, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Older Chauffeur

Older Chauffeur Well-Known Member

Update re TurboTax Deluxe at Costco- I haven't been to the local store to buy it yet, but saw it listed as $10 off the retail price of $59.95. I guess Intuit raised the price, because I looked, and I previously paid only $40 after the rebate.

2. Drtraffic

Drtraffic New Member

Try MileTracker, it's totally free. I like it

3. SortofRandom

SortofRandom New Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I failed to keep a log of my odometer readings this year. (Trips + between trips = 30,000)
    Do I need to attach a log to my tax return if I'm claiming the standard mileage (54 cent) deduction for 2016?

4. UberTaxPro

UberTaxPro Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    A log isn't required to be sent with your tax return but it is required to legitimately take the deduction. In certain instances the IRS will accept a re-constructed log if you're challenged. There are strict restrictions as to how that log can be re-constructed but I suggest you start working on that right away. For now you should only deduct what you can prove.

skytessa and Older Chauffeur like this.
  5. Mears Troll Number 4

Mears Troll Number 4 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    The docs that uber sends will be good enough for documentation on a portion of your miles. (however many miles uber says you actually drove) The one i got last year was about 64% short of reality, but i'm in one of the worst markets for unpaid mileage.

Reproducing your log is going to be a royal pain, and if you get audited the IRS may not accept it and you'll loose a lot of miles.

skytessa likes this.

6. Dback2004

Dback2004 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Logs are only used as evidence in an audit, you wont' submit them with your taxes. Check out my post on https://uberpeople.net/threads/question-about-milage.129876/#post-1911762 for how I track.

7. Older Chauffeur

Older Chauffeur Well-Known Member

Another update- T/T Deluxe is on sale through January 29 for $39.95 after a $10 instant in store coupon. I bought it today and ran my self employment numbers with no problems.

8. skytessa

skytessa New Member

Hence why it's super smart to use an auto-tracker. I'm almost done with my case study between trackers. I'll post a link to the new thread when I'm done.

9. skytessa

skytessa New Member

10. So when is Uber suppose to send you the 1099 for 2016 ? or do i have to go to one of their Hub to get it? thx.

11. Dback2004

Dback2004 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    If I remember right last year they came out around January 30.