• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

HOV Confusion

RiderOnTheStorm

There are six HOV/toll roads in NoVa.
What are the rules?

First question: Does an Uber with a passenger aboard count at all as HOV?
There is the driver and the pax. Is that an HOV-2 eligible trip?

I had heard that because it's a for-hire situation, that you either cannot use any
restricted lanes at all (no matter how many aboard and maybe not even if you are paying
a toll) or that you could only use it if you have two passengers (plus the driver makes
three people - you need three for HOV-2, four people in the car for HOV-3).

DULLES ACCESS ROAD. Are we allowed to use it at all?
I have heard that Uber cannot use it under any circumstances.
and must always use the toll road instead.

DULLES TOLL ROAD. Everybody always pays no matter how many people aboard in all lanes.
However, normal cars can use the HOV-2 lane if there are two people in the car.
Uber cannot use the HOV-2 lane ever.
Uber charges pax and reimburses the driver.

BELTWAY (I-495) and I-95 (same rules for both).
These are HOV-3. Free to ride if you have 3 people in the car.
Otherwise you pay via your EZ-PASS.
That's for normal cars.
What about Uber?

I-395 HOV-3 (same as above).
But anyone can use it during off hours for free.

I-66 inside the beltway has always been HOV-2 during rush hour.
Previously there was no EZ-PASS and no tolls.
Today there are two changes: (a) hours are expanded. and
(b) if you have an EZ-PASS, but not enough people, you can now
use during rush hours by paying a fee. For example, this morning
it was $34.50 to go from I-495 (i.e. Tysons) to the DC line.
If you have two people aboard, it's free.
That's for normal cars.
What about Uber?

I-66 outside the beltway.
No tolls but there are HOV-lanes if you have 2 people aboard.
Uber cars can never use the HOV lanes.

Is all that correct?

P.S. MD-200?

Last edited:

RiderOnTheStorm

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Second question.
If you are allowed to Uber in a variable-pricing lane, how does Uber reimburse you?
How does it know how much to charge the pax, and pay you, since the price depends
on how many people are on the road? It can't figure it out based only on where you drove.

It's almost like there are 2 or 3 other threads for this
Yes and I can't make heads or tails of what people are saying there.
Thanks for clearing up nothing.

UluValea

It does not matter if you are Ubering, you can still use the HOV lanes. It does not say anywhere on VDOT website that ride share are excluded. As long if you have the correct amount of bodies in the car, you are able to use the HOV lanes. Just make sure you have the EZ-PASS FLEX, switched to no toll.

Dulles airport no toll roads are for people going to and from the airport. I have have road with passengers and heading back on my own, next to cops or passing them and none have ever stopped me. The only illegal thing is to use the no toll road for something other than the airport.

66 is now a toll road but only for commute hours 5:30 to 9:30 a.m. eastbound and 3 to 7 p.m. westbound. For those lanes body count is 2 passengers. Any hours outside of the listed, are free to use whenever.

As far as the hot lanes, I never use them so I'm not sure.

SOLA-RAH

DULLES ACCESS ROAD...if heading directly to/from Dulles, use the Access Road to get there and leave for free.

DULLES TOLL ROAD...use it if necessary when out in Reston as uber reimburses the driver for tolls incurred WHEN A PAX IS IN THE CAR. Also, uber won't reimburse a trip to made to IAD on the Toll Road because it should've been made for free on the Access Road.

BELTWAY (I-495) and I-95 & I-395 HOV-3...these are HOT lanes and uber WILL NOT reimburse, however you can ride in the HOT lanes for free with 3+ in the car and an EZ-Pass Flex flipped to HOV-mode.

I-66 inside the beltway has always been HOV-2 during rush hour...HOT lanes and same as above, but only need 2+ to ride for free.

Uber charges the pax and reimburses correctly for tolls on MD-200, the Bay Bridge, the Harry Nice Bridge, and the tunnels in Baltimore WHEN A PAX IS IN THE CAR. (I have more than once used a DF to find a pax and get out of paying the toll across the Bay Bridge).

As an uber...if you have 2+ people in the car, you can use the left lane HOV-2 lanes on 66 during restricted times & if you have 3+ people in the car, you can use HOV-3 during restricted times. Lastly, you should probably stop listening to advice given by whoever you're "hearing" things from.

yankdog

DULLES ACCESS ROAD...if heading directly to/from Dulles, use the Access Road to get there and leave for free.

DULLES TOLL ROAD...use it if necessary when out in Reston as uber reimburses the driver for tolls incurred WHEN A PAX IS IN THE CAR. Also, uber won't reimburse a trip to made to IAD on the Toll Road because it should've been made for free on the Access Road.

BELTWAY (I-495) and I-95 & I-395 HOV-3...these are HOT lanes and uber WILL NOT reimburse, however you can ride in the HOT lanes for free with 3+ in the car and an EZ-Pass Flex flipped to HOV-mode.

I-66 inside the beltway has always been HOV-2 during rush hour...HOT lanes and same as above, but only need 2+ to ride for free.

Uber charges the pax and reimburses correctly for tolls on MD-200, the Bay Bridge, the Harry Nice Bridge, and the tunnels in Baltimore WHEN A PAX IS IN THE CAR. (I have more than once used a DF to find a pax and get out of paying the toll across the Bay Bridge).

As an uber...if you have 2+ people in the car, you can use the left lane HOV-2 lanes on 66 during restricted times & if you have 3+ people in the car, you can use HOV-3 during restricted times. Lastly, you should probably stop listening to advice given by whoever you're "hearing" things from.
Uberffinitis

SOLA-RAH

Second question.
If you are allowed to Uber in a variable-pricing lane, how does Uber reimburse you?
How does it know how much to charge the pax, and pay you, since the price depends
on how many people are on the road? It can't figure it out based only on where you drove.
In a nutshell...uber doesn't reimburse for HOT lane tolls. You're fine on 66 because you'll have 2 in the car (you+pax), but on 495/95/395 you need 2 or more pax to legally flip your Flex into HOV-mode.

HPClays

But they don't do it automatically like others (MD-200, DTR, etc.). And I'd rather not waste my time playing email tag with Rohit.

Prior thread with a couple different experiences regarding the HOT lanes and reimbursement: https://uberpeople.net/threads/dc-northern-virginia-hot-lanes.17021/
True they don't reimburse automatically.
BTW, Thanks for sending me a link to a thread I already posted on twice. (I know, I'm a sarcastic pr*ck).

I understand you're hesitation to play with Rohit. But as I stated before, Rohit is selectively stupid. They have responded professionally and rapidly for every single 495 Express lane toll that I have submitted. It is extra work, but when the express lane route saves 45 minutes of travel time, added 8 miles or more onto the route I get paid for, and gets the passenger to the Nats game on-time for the National Anthem, earning me a $20 tip...it's worthwhile.

FYI, if it's an uberpool d-bag going to the airport, "Sorry, I don't have an EZPASS"

UberPotomac

What are the rules?

I had heard that because it's a for-hire situation, that you either cannot use any
restricted lanes at all (no matter how many aboard and maybe not even if you are paying
a toll) or that you could only use it if you have two passengers (plus the driver makes

DULLES TOLL ROAD. Everybody always pays no matter how many people aboard in all lanes.

That's for normal cars.
What about Uber?

That's for normal cars.
What about Uber?

Is all that correct?

P.S. MD-200?
Do you hear?
Do you know or you DONT.
Your post leave us more confused that before.

lcc421110

What are the rules?

That's for normal cars.
What about Uber?

That's for normal cars.
What about Uber?

Is all that correct?

P.S. MD-200?
Only 1 thing different then before, one person per car have to pay.

There is no real confusion on HOV tolls if you think of it like this:

• You are the driver. You count as one person. You now need 2 more people to ride the 495 and 95 express lanes for free.
  • You need one passenger to ride I66 within the beltway for free during rush hour. It has always been like this since the existence of I66, but now the requirement starts earlier and ends later. The only real change is lone drivers now pay to go on 66. This is why the EZ-Pass Flex is required. The 3 pax per car for a free ride doesn't come into play until 2022 - by that point 66 will have an Express tolled lane outside the beltway (That's Tyson's Corner aka McLean) that goes to Gainesville. They're making it 3 pax per car to keep it consistent. They're also trying to force people in buses. Blame Arlington County for that one.
  • It is extremely recommended that you get an EZ-Pass Flex. Yes it's $35 but you get all of it back when you register it. If you live or work in VA, it eventually pays off when you do 5 or more trips on 267 aka the Dulles Toll Road.
  • Don't flag your car as a Uber or Lyft car if you're worried about being considered a "commercial" vehicle. Keep the stickers off until you go to the airport.
  • The Dulles Toll Road is the only place in northern VA that doesn't have a variable toll. It's similar to the ICC in MD, where prices go up and down depending on rush hour but it is not variable based on the amount of people. It's a certain price to go in and a certain one to go out.
  • The airport road parallel to the toll road is free to use so long you're going to the airport or coming back from the airport. Don't over complicate it. Drop off pax and take pax on the same road. End of story.
  • HOV lanes on 270, Dulles Toll road and other places they exist (old town comes to mind) can be used while driving Uber. We drive midsize sedans and hybrids for the most part. We don't drive semi trucks or some other sort of commercial truck.
  • Calling Uber commercial overcomplicates things. You don't hold a commercial licence or use a commercial car. Yes the lines are blurred but it's supposed to be your personal car with personal insurance. Stick to that rule and forget the munbo jumbo.
One thing you should know is that they're making the 95 toll lane go all the way to 395. It's ok to ride in them now but in a couple years, be ready to have to pay from the DC line to Edsall Rd (where tolling starts now) or have 2 pax with you at all times when using that road.

What the flip. 66 is tolls now???

Why the flip do i pay taxes
Only during rush hour and only if you're a single passenger/driver.

From 9:30 on, it's business as usual going into the city, same from 7pm on going towards front Royal. You're only affected if you went into DC after 5:30 but before 6:30 OR after 9 but before 9:30 and if you used to go towards Front Royal after 3 but before 3:30 OR after 6:30 but before 7pm.

You pay taxes because the government forces you to.

New2This

What are the rules?

That's for normal cars.
What about Uber?

That's for normal cars.
What about Uber?

Is all that correct?

P.S. MD-200?

They didn't cover all this in the Uber training class you went to?

Easy was to track it. For HOV it's the number of asses in seats in the car.

You count as one ass in one seat, so in a sense you're an ass.

HOV-2 you need another ass in another seat.

HOV-3 you need 2 other asses in other seats.

Kids in booster seats count. Dogs, even service dogs, and cats don't count. Jo3030 's fully functional self cleaning blowup Jessica Alba doll does NOT count, not does yankdog 's dogshit molded into a miniature version of Dara. Only live human beings.

Hope that helps ass.:biggrin:

yankdog

They didn't cover all this in the Uber training class you went to?

Easy was to track it. For HOV it's the number of asses in seats in the car.

You count as one ass in one seat, so in a sense you're an ass.

HOV-2 you need another ass in another seat.

HOV-3 you need 2 other asses in other seats.

Kids in booster seats count. Dogs, even service dogs, and cats don't count. Jo3030 's fully functional self cleaning blowup Jessica Alba doll does NOT count, not does yankdog 's dogshit molded into a miniature version of Dara. Only live human beings.

Hope that helps ass.:biggrin:
For the record, if the Jessica Alba blow up doll takes a shit in the back of the car I'm not charging a cleaning fee