Houston traffic tickets

SRTFighter

Got a ticket yesterday for 34mph in a 40mph. It also happened to be 12 mins before the school zone ended which made the speed limit 20 mph. This was in Pasadena.

For the people that have been through this before what is the process for taking care of the ticket in houston and is there any way I can get out of it?

darkshy77

Pay it Ptown is a speed trap town...
Info to fight on the ticket show up to your court date .... Pasadena loves school zone you were speeding

UberCadi

Got a ticket yesterday for 34mph in a 40mph. It also happened to be 12 mins before the school zone ended which made the speed limit 20 mph. This was in Pasadena.

For the people that have been through this before what is the process for taking care of the ticket in houston and is there any way I can get out of it?
Your clearly guilty but in similar situations I always go to court date and expect to pay the fine but fight to keep it off my record. City wants their money. If you have a clean record usually not an issue.

UberCadi

Pay it Ptown is a speed trap town...
Info to fight on the ticket show up to your court date .... Pasadena loves school zone you were speeding
Yep. School zones are probably the most difficult to fight, I'd guess. Never had one if those. Those zones I never push the limit.

Trebor

If its your first ticket in a couple of years most municipalities will let you take defensive driving, since it was a school zone.. you may be s.o.l.

btw, your a @@@@@@ for speeding in a school zone.

I would for sure try to get the courts permission to let you take defensive driving through their online or telephone process. Don't go up to a judge. Most likely the judge will say your a @@@@@@ as well.

RollwithCHRIS

Pasadena is a trap and they're going to get their money.

In Houston you take it to trial, I've been there 6 times since 2008 for speeding. The popo has never shown up and all tickets were dismissed.

It's worth the time off because your insurance rates increase and you have points placed against your license if you pay and say you're guilty.

darkshy77

Pasadena will have a school zone for a cross walk in the middle of the block off 1000 feet. One stops for 1/10 of a mile and starts again...

SRTFighter

Your clearly guilty but in similar situations I always go to court date and expect to pay the fine but fight to keep it off my record. City wants their money. If you have a clean record usually not an issue.

Do you show up solo or bring a lawyer?

SRTFighter

If its your first ticket in a couple of years most municipalities will let you take defensive driving, since it was a school zone.. you may be s.o.l.

btw, your a ****** for speeding in a school zone.

I would for sure try to get the courts permission to let you take defensive driving through their online or telephone process. Don't go up to a judge. Most likely the judge will say your a ****** as well.

If I knew it was an active school zone I would not of been going 34...

Lets face it, truthfully, speed limit signs are not obvious enough. Especially when they are placed in seemingly random places. You have about 30 seconds or less to see a speed limit sign until its gone. If you missed it then you are only left guessing. The road looked like a 35 zone to me, but turns out it was a 40. Glad I wasn't going the standard 5 over. I need something that I can reference anytime I need to know what the speed limit is. Like how they have it on GPSs only it needs to be 100% reliable.

Trebor

If I knew it was an active school zone I would not of been going 34...

Lets face it, truthfully, speed limit signs are not obvious enough. Especially when they are placed in seemingly random places. You have about 30 seconds or less to see a speed limit sign until its gone. If you missed it then you are only left guessing. The road looked like a 35 zone to me, but turns out it was a 40. Glad I wasn't going the standard 5 over. I need something that I can reference anytime I need to know what the speed limit is. Like how they have it on GPSs only it needs to be 100% reliable.

School zones are the exception. You even get blinking lights. What more do you need?

You are also supposed to slow down when you see the sign, not after you cross it. Keep your eye on the road/off your phone and you won't miss speed limit signs, unless a semi is in the right lane.

tootsie

My brother just sent me a radar detector. Just in time as I now live close that 59 speed trap and 610 speed trap.

Tom B.

Virtually all of the cops on the South Loop use Laser. If your detector goes off with a laser hit, it's just confirming you've been lazed and it's too late to slow down. This week, there have been HPD, Constables & DPS all working close to NRG. Just slow down & save your money.

Pasadena's cops are ruthless so many speed traps too, never speed there...only place I've ever been ticketed. I have used Sprecher and associates for the couple tickets I've gotten there, always get it dismissed or deferred, (normally as long as you don't get another ticket in the the few months it's deferred it clears up, and you don't have to defensive driving). He charges around 50 to a 100 bucks can't remember, never got one in a school zone, so don't know how that will play out. Good luck with it.

tripAces

When some people post on here I wonder why they even drive. But then remember some of these people on here already have had a wreck.

UsedToBeAPartner

An Uber driver passed me on 59S at 80+ empty. Guess he dropped off at the airport and was heading back to Downtown for another. Thought he was going to rear end me before he finally changed lanes and then did the same to the next car. Sorry folks, it's just not THAT important!

SRTFighter

An Uber driver passed me on 59S at 80+ empty. Guess he dropped off at the airport and was heading back to Downtown for another. Thought he was going to rear end me before he finally changed lanes and then did the same to the next car. Sorry folks, it's just not THAT important!

I thought 80 MPH was the standard speed limit that everyone goes when possible on all Houston freeways? I am not talking about the posted speed limit.