1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Houston - Petition to Regulate Rates

Discussion in 'Houston' started by K5CST, Feb 3, 2016.

?
  1. YES

2. NO

3. UNDECIDED, NEED MORE INFORMATION

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. K5CST

K5CST Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Current rates for UberX & UberXL are too low while fees are too high.

These Charter Amendments would establish a floor for rates and a ceiling for fees.

Also would enable the funding and establishment of an Association for drivers to promote their interests.

Attached Files:

UberedOutInHouston and chi1cabby like this.
  2. TwoFiddyMile

TwoFiddyMile Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    Who are you petitioning?
    City? State?
    Uber will wipe their corporate butt with your petition.

3. K5CST

K5CST Member

Driving:
    UberX
    City of Houston

4. Weatherdawg

Weatherdawg Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I would be interested, except I am not a COH resident, unfortunately.

5. itsablackmarket

itsablackmarket Well-Known Member

The only thing I'm interested in is banning Uber from Houston.

6. TwoFiddyMile

Driving:
    Taxi
    If Houston started regulating rates, Uber would leave Houston.

7. txtim1982

txtim1982 Well-Known Member

That is what has happened in other markets. No Uber market outside of NYC has any control on Uber's pricing or fees. And even NYC gives Uber more control over their rates than the city gives Cabs.

itsablackmarket likes this.
  8. TwoFiddyMile

Driving:
    Taxi
    Congress is disgusting.
    Our country has abandoned us on regulating Uber.

itsablackmarket likes this.
  9. MakeMoreCash

MakeMoreCash Active Member

Uber banned in Paris,France.

10. SafeT

SafeT Well-Known Member

Regulating Uber rates doesn't hurt their business. They already have different rates in different markets. If anything, Uber would make more money. It's the other regulations that would hurt them. They will be regulated sooner or later. You can't have homeless drivers running around making .10 cents an hour.

K5CST likes this.
  11. itsablackmarket

Just what I want.

Texstar12 and TwoFiddyMile like this.
  12. itsablackmarket

So unfair.

13. txtim1982

If only we could crowdfund a similar product, made by drivers, and set it up to compete, but still be fair to the driver. Uber and Lyft have already done the hard work of getting Ridesharing into the public consciousness. I realize there are companies like GetMe trying to do something like that, but if a few drivers got together, found a big name investor who missed out on Uber, and grew a little at a time, instead of being debt ridden like Uber, it could be possible.

Cou-ber likes this.
  14. itsablackmarket

The industry is too ruined. Uber and the lovely governments of our world, utterly demolished the industry. Sorry, it's ruined for life.

Richard Cranium likes this.
  15. txtim1982

It hurts their business model. Uber is solely concerned with Market Share. They want to be so large that Lyft, Taxis and other smaller startups can no longer survive. While higher rates could possibly bring in more money per ride, they are afraid that it would result in fewer rides, thus fewer committed customers. Sadly, their attempt at gaining market share hurts its drivers. But given that there are people locked into driving (Santander, UberExchange, FlexDrive, etc), and that there are a lot of people willing to make less than average wage just because they need to make something, the driver pool will always be there.
    I am a capitalist, but I've never understood the likes of Vanderbilt, Rockefeller, and Travis Kalanick. Why must you continue to push the envelope when small steps toward appeasing your employees would build an army of loyal supporters.
    One small item.... a tip feature similar to that of Lyft, allowing PAX to tip through the app without the uncomfortable situation of offering a cash tip, many many many drivers would change their attitudes.

I have nuts likes this.
  16. Richard Cranium

Richard Cranium Well-Known Member

You look like a cop..I'm just sayin.. ;)
    BTW Chris are you a driver?
    Also I see Mark Singleton is the contact. Is that the same Mark that was with KPMG for a very short period of time ?
    And what qualifies him to spearhead such a campaign?
    I hope others research such things before they sign.

RC

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
    Trebor and Just one more trip like this.
  17. HOUTXRon

HOUTXRon Well-Known Member

Which would be awesome. Should teach some of the entitled pieces of s**ts what they have been abusing. They will then petition uber to come back at higher rates and probably have some respect for drivers.

K5CST likes this.
  18. K5CST

K5CST Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Yes, Since September 2014, COH TNC Licensee since November 2014.

Attached Files:

19. Cou-ber

Cou-ber Well-Known Member

Item 46 f regarding wait time should be at least 2x minimum wage...what does this mean?

Also, have you or the author of this met with the mayor's task force on TNC's? Shouldn't this happen?

Also, voters don't vote on city ordinance amendments, do they? The city council does, right? What is the mayor's opinion on ridesharing? Has he said?

I think minimum wage is eh. The federal rule for waitstaff for example is that if the base hourly wage + tips does not amount to the state's minimum wage then that will be the server's compensation for the period in question. Meaning, if your 2.17 and tips each hour isn't 7.50 then you get paid 7.50 or whatever it is.

That's lovely and good for them but that waiter isn't supplying all the stuff that goes into his or her service and if you use the California cases as a basis, the judge there ruled the lawsuit would only address unreimbursed vehicle expenses and wtf else?? It didn't include all that this petition has. I digress. My point is the waiter doesn't supply his crap to perform his service. A driver does and I think you are low balling asking for minimum wage. I know as this petition is currently I wouldn't sign it and, I assure you, I have a very profound disgust for uber.

Also, when that one dude addressed the council I read mention on a council member asking if the surge could also be capped if the bottom were to be set...I think it is foolish to not offer a nod to this since we know they have interest in this.

Bottom line is this city has already been hit hard by oil prices and with the current rates where they are and the reality that 28,000 TNC's licenses exist today in Houston coupled with the fact that our independent contractor status extends no chance of a driver being able to collect unemployment that translates to Uber essentially putting a strain on a city already strained by the number of people seeking city/state/federal resources. Can the city of Houston afford to finance Uber's exploitation of unprotected workers in food stamp benefits, Medicaid applicants, those receiving water fund discounts etc etc? Should Uber be allowed to threaten almost 30k Houston households? To me this is the angle to take. Uber will hurt the Houston economy and its good people. By sending drivers to city offices for subsidies and assistance, homes into foreclosure, the children of drivers to the doctor or Ben Taub because the crap pay doesn't allow a parent to carry an independent
    Policy for junior and the federal govt says that driver makes too much to be eligible for a subsidy for the monthly premiums, low quality and unsafe cars carrying Houston residents on congested freeways that the driver cannot properly maintain, making the taxi industry adhere to disparate rules that threaten their drivers' and owners' livelihoods, endangering the security of public buildings and places such as the airport by drivers that are either wittingly or unwittingly not following established standards and procedures and collecting and depositing residents at incorrect and dangerous locales and points blah blah blah...uber is a beast and a liability to this city and the council needs to step in where the current laws are too embedded in bureaucracy to assist immediate and significant issues.

This isn't just about 25-30k drivers. It's about the people those numbers drive and the people at the places where they are being driven to and the families that directly and indirectly depend on all of those peoples' well being and stability. If the council does not intervene then it is delivering economic strains on a city that for at least the next 12 months will not see any improvement in its economic activity and this is the consensus of knowledgeable economists very familiar with Houston.

So, yes, I'll help but this has got to be more specific and defined and give more of what Uber is not. I won't sign anything that will only offer a driver not paying into social security, workman's comp or unemployment insurance while paying for all operational costs associated with his licensing and vehicle maintenance a minimum wage per hour. It isn't enough and as it is written does not layout how this will be applied with fares? Is it like it is for waiters and this hourly wage kicks in when fares suck? Because isn't the guarantee pay structure offering better than this, at least in theory and on paper?

I think drivers should be paid more. End of story and I think the city should raise its tax imposition or business license fee on Uber to allow for the city to establish a fund that TNC drivers could then appeal and apply to when they need assistance they are currently ineligible to receive...

I'll shut up but must say, at least, finally someone has produced a quantifiable proposal to properly address the Scruberrhea afflicting our homes and roads.

Peace.

( Uberrhea? Uberitis? Uberenza? FlUber Virus? Just word experimenting...)

Richard Cranium and Fuzzyelvis like this.
  20. MBENZ_GUY

MBENZ_GUY Well-Known Member

Houston is VERY pro business and one of the few examples of a US city dedicated to pure capitalism. Look at the non-existent zoning laws.