Houston mayor: 50 percent of Uber driver applicants have criminal record

UsedToBeAPartner

He just getting prepared for what he will do when Austin passes the Statewide rules for ride sharing. One of those provisions is that drivers will not need to be finger printed. If that passes and Houston implements it then Lyft will come to Houston and likely a couple of others.

tripAces

It doesn't matter if it's 50% or 1%. COH doesn't need Uber saying who can and who can't drive for them.
Remember everyone is suppose to be a independent contractor. That means you adhere to rules of the county, city, or state. Or all 3 at once. They set the rules not Uber!!

I knew 3 people that could not get CoH Tnc. But Uber onboarded them and they drove outside beltway 8. One had a dwi less then 5 yrs, second had at fault wreck with court disposition less then a year, and the other had sealed record for dwi along with possession charges deferred.

Now tell me why Uber is so great to allow to be trusted?

UsedToBeAPartner

It doesn't matter if it's 50% or 1%. COH doesn't need Uber saying who can and who can't drive for them.
Remember everyone is suppose to be a independent contractor. That means you adhere to rules of the county, city, or state. Or all 3 at once. They set the rules not Uber!!

I knew 3 people that could not get CoH Tnc. But Uber onboarded them and they drove outside beltway 8. One had a dwi less then 5 yrs, second had at fault wreck with court disposition less then a year, and the other had sealed record for dwi along with possession charges deferred.

Now tell me why Uber is so great to allow to be trusted?

OHHHH, someone had an "at fault" wreck! Not only should they not drive I think they should be stoned in a public square! The other had a sealed record....sealed, right? OK, DWI is bad but, again, everyone makes mistakes. "Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her."

timberstx

What I really don't understand is, I used to work for Metro. I could drive an 80 foot articulated bus, with over 150 people in it. But I was never fingerprinted by the city of Houston, or anyone else. I guess when the city pays the bill for fingerprinting safety does not matter.

More Cowbell

What I really don't understand is, I used to work for Metro. I could drive an 80 foot articulated bus, with over 150 people in it. But I was never fingerprinted by the city of Houston, or anyone else. I guess when the city pays the bill for fingerprinting safety does not matter.
Used to have a top secret clearance, Q level, highest non-military, for work I was doing. Took 9 months of background checks b4 I was authorized.

And fingerprints were never run by NSA. :rolleyes:

tripAces

OHHHH, someone had an "at fault" wreck! Not only should they not drive I think they should be stoned in a public square! The other had a sealed record....sealed, right? OK, DWI is bad but, again, everyone makes mistakes. "Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her."
Did you forget your meds again!?! And no not everyone make mistakes that follow them like a shadow. So I guess next time I am out and see a person driving without headlights running a red light. I will just say they didn't kill anyone they made a mistake. Get the [email protected]%$ out of here!!!

Just make everyone have a TWIC card. Case closed and all these snowflakes can shut up.

UsedToBeAPartner

So you don't think running a red light is, in most cases, just a mistake? You may be perfect but I do make mistakes from time to time including running red rights.
Someone having a criminal record should not eliminate all possibilities that they are still good people.

ROONZ

Statistics are not misleading when used properly. However, saying "50%" without stating the time-frame and sampling criteria used to calculate the statistic is mere rhetoric. As a (PhD bearing) social scientist, I need more information to evaluate this so-called "fact". Politicians are especially egregious in their cavalier use , er, misuse I mean, of "facts".