1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Houston considers new taxi app to compete with Uber (Before Super Bowl Sunday 2017)

Discussion in 'News' started by Ca$h4, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Ca$h4

Ca$h4 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  2. Another Uber Driver

Another Uber Driver Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberTAXI
    D.C. does have its City application. It has been in beta for quite some time. I have yet to receive a customer from it.

3. Buckiemohawk

Buckiemohawk Active Member

Mears in Orlando has one. It's horrible.

4. Ca$h4

Ca$h4 Well-Known Member

Super Bowl coming to Houston, so Houston has to get App up and running in next 5 months. Plenty of time since Houston has contracted with Arro which runs taxi apps in a few cities. Austin, TX has thrown Uber out of town and after 5 months is doing just fine without Uber. First sentence of article below is powerful -- Uber going to be blocked out of the Super Bowl?

Regulatory road should be level for Uber, taxis

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/bus...uld-treat-all-ride-for-hire-firms-9227260.php

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  5. Ca$h4

Ca$h4 Well-Known Member

6. Another Uber Driver

Another Uber Driver Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberTAXI
    Arro, at one point, was supposed to come to D.C., but it has not shown up here, Y-E-T. They work with fleets, elsewhere, but I would hope that they would work with individual drivers, here. Uber Taxi does it, here.

7. Fuzzyelvis

Fuzzyelvis Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    This part's pretty funny. Isn't this exactly the problem with Uber?

"The current system of licenses and permits grew out of drivers abusing passengers, and too many taxis flooding the streets. Cities started requiring insurance and background checks, to ensure passenger safety, and limited rates and permits to guarantee that professional drivers could make a living without price-gouging".

8. Fuzzyelvis

Fuzzyelvis Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Why would the Superbowl be that big a deal? I mean, only so many folks can fit in the stadium. Once it's over, it's over. Most news crews or whatever will be close to the stadium and take short trips.

I'm sure I'm missing something, but I wouldn't expect more than a few days of good earnings. Heck, even the rodeo was not that great this year compared to last.

9. More Cowbell

More Cowbell Well-Known Member

Nah, not missing anything.
    Like most superbowls, all hype.

10. LA Cabbie

LA Cabbie Well-Known Member

It's not about the event, buddy. It's all about the travelers be it spectators or event members coming into town in the days leading up to the event. To hell with the Super Bowl.

11. More Cowbell

More Cowbell Well-Known Member

At most, it's 72000 visitors for a weekend There's at least 3 annual conventions that far exceed that... Up to 12x at the GB Convention Ctr.

Its so hyped up, I'd be surprised you'll even see a decent surge.

12. Ca$h4

Ca$h4 Well-Known Member

13. LA Cabbie

LA Cabbie Well-Known Member

Funny, every cab company must have an app of its own. How many apps would a pax want on their phone when they are guaranteed to get a ride with just one. And guess one, that one app ain't taxi. LOL!

14. Barnabas Chapman

Barnabas Chapman New Member

Is it worth driving from Dallas to Houston for a few days to take advantage of the increased traffic?

15. Sgt_PaxHauler

Sgt_PaxHauler Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Several of the Austin, TX cab companies use ZTrip, and livery vehicles can also be requested through said app.
    Couldn't the City of Houston extend an invitation to some of Austin's TNCs if Uber departs as well?
    FARE, at 1.20/mi for their equivalent of UberX would make a nice pay raise for Houston's drivers. :)

16. The Mollusk

The Mollusk Well-Known Member

Mears isn't a city.

17. Buckiemohawk

Buckiemohawk Active Member

wut. The russians made me do it. Mears is a city. Loser wut do you know? Peabrain

The Mollusk likes this.