1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Hourly rate

Discussion in 'Advice' started by Rexi, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Rexi

Rexi

i just had a quick question, when uber drivers are referring to hourly rate are they/ referring to an hour of their time or in app time/ the time Uber considers online time.

Thanks in advance

tohunt4me likes this.
  2. SuzeCB

SuzeCB

Driving:
    UberX
    Depends on if they're smart or not.

And the truly smart don't count their money by the hour.

3. I count my money by the quarters

tohunt4me, MoreTips, JimKE and 3 others like this.
  4. Brian G.

Brian G.

Driving:
    UberX
    I count by my first pick up to last and traveling home isn't counted. I only live 6 miles to downtown Boston. I make 25-$30+ hr driving 1130am-430pm (5 hrs mon-fri)

tohunt4me, Steve_TX and chris.nella2 like this.
  5. You don't get paid by the hour . People will contort themselves to either convince themselves or others they are making a lot per hour or almost nothing per hour . Again , we don't get paid by the hour .

6. 911 Guy

911 Guy

I count from when I log in to when I reach home again. Total hours, not online hours. This accounts for deadhead time.

gaijinpen and tohunt4me like this.
  7. oldfart

oldfart

Driving:
    UberXL
    My goal is to net $4.17 per hour or $3000/month

8. Seamus

Seamus

Driving:
    UberX
    I don't even bother calculating per hour. What's important to me is revenue per mile, driveway to driveway. Helps with strategy and to minimize dead miles.

9. mbd

mbd

Hourly does not matter, how much you want to make, and go make it.
    If you made 200 dollars in 1 hour and stop, and second guy makes 200 dollars in 10 hours, both same. What are you doing with the 9 hours??? Making more money ???sleeping???watching stupid tv??? Spending on liquor???
    At the end of the year, how much money you saved Is the real question.

whensthefunstart and DNM3K like this.
  10. 911 Guy

911 Guy

I'm a spread sheet geek so I track per hour, per trip, per mile, Tip %, etc. for the same reasons.

gaijinpen, Z129, MoreTips and 2 others like this.
  11. oldfart

oldfart

Driving:
    UberXL
    Exactly

12. Uber Crack

Uber Crack

Driving:
    UberX
    Lmao!!!! :D :D

tohunt4me likes this.
  13. Sacman08

Sacman08

Driving:
    UberX
    How does ride history and overall cost help buld a strategy and minimize dead miles when you don’t know the pax destination? Does everyone call all rides to ask them?

tohunt4me likes this.
  14. mbd

mbd

Bank account at the end of the year..you can boast about making 100 dollar per hour, but at the end if you have the same balance as the guy making 1 dollar/hour, you have failed .
    It shows you have failed in other hours of the day .

tohunt4me and DNM3K like this.
  15. Seamus

Seamus

Driving:
    UberX
    Never call a pax at all. Learn where the good rides are more likely, learn to stay away from likely bad rides, learn patience when you can read surge is coming, etc, etc, etc.. Learning and strategy separate success vs failure. In this gig, using your brain will lead to more money than simply using your time. There is a reason only 4% last more than a year. Learn something every day!

16. SuzeCB

SuzeCB

Driving:
    UberX
    Because you learn the flow...

If I stay close to *this* college around 10 pm, I'll catch a ride that will be either pretty local (House parties) or to *that* town (loaded with bars).

If I hang close to *this* neighborhood at *that* time of the morning on *the other* day of the week, I can catch a ride to the airport.

So-and-So's playing at *this* venue, and is popular with *that* demographic. Tickets weren't cheap. That should get me a ride from a reasonably-non-problematic pax.

It's 2:30-3:30pm on a weekday. I should steer clear of schools.

That sort of thing.

17. DNM3K

DNM3K

This is the mentality of someone who is their own boss, your success isn't measured by the hour, which those of us who've never been our own and have always lived life "paid by the hour", as a way to gauge our worth compared to other workers with a boss.
    Does the contractor who's redoing your bathroom charge you by the hour? Or does he figure out his costs, his overall time he expects to spend on the project and he gives you the cost of his services.
    The closest thing to "per hour" you'll ever get, as I'm learning this all myself, is if you set a per week goal, say 1,000.00. now as your own boss how do you reach that goal this week? And next week?
    How much do you set as your goal for the year after all your expenses? 100k? 50k? 25k?
    Once you know your own goals, the next step is to consider what sacrifice you're going to make to make that happen?
    You going to spend 60 hours logged in, picking and cancelling, looking for a surge? Or are you setting a daily goal, 150? 200? And once you hit that number you call it a day?
    Those are the risks and variables these people go through, and it seems like the ones who are looking to make the most of their time, cutting down the wasted time, are the ones that have these daily, weekly, monthly and then yearly goals laid out.

Hah even better metaphor, each one of us is a farmer. Some of us are looking to farm 100 acres, some are looking to farm only 20 acres of land, but both farmers have a goal. It's their end of season crop, and the time they spend for months tending to the farm, will sow the rewards come harvest. They factor in costs, putting money aside from the winter and slower times, and each factor will limit how much money they'll make for their season of work.

Rideshare drivers are farmers, not general contractors.

18. Rexi

Rexi

This response is gold

19. I'm pretty sure we all understand that. It's just a way to measure what we make.
    If I average $25 gross, and i'm only going to drive 2 hours today, I can expect to make around $50.

Not sure I would call it fail.

A guy making 15 dollars an hour and a guy making 40 an hour might both be broke by the time the next paycheck comes around.
    But the guy making 40 drives a nicer car and gets to take his wife to a nice restaurant once in a while. The other guy not so much.
    But again, both living paycheck to paycheck.
    That's not a fail. I'd rather be the guy making 40.

gaijinpen and Rexi like this.
  20. Coachman

Coachman

Driving:
    UberX
    You can figure it any way you want. How much you earn...

- per ride
    - per mile
    - per minute
    - per hour
    - per day
    - per week
    - per oil change

None is more valid than the other.

islanddriver and Cableguynoe like this.