Hourly or Rev/Mile

dolllarchaser

As a driver, which is more important for you, the hourly pay you receive or the revenue per mile?

Other threads on this forum suggest that part timers should focus on hourly while full timers should focus on revenue per mile. Why the different focus?

In my mind and maybe it's my naiveté, but when running your own business both are important but profitability trumps hourly but I find myself going back and forth. So, what say you, which do you focus on and why?

UberNWATL

Both come into play but the revenue per mile is the primary one because it tells you how much net profit you will make since all your hard costs are vehicle related. Hourly because you don't want to much down time between rides which is non productive.

Harleyfxdx1

Both are important. Milage speaks for itself ... I use Serpashare to track miles and time. It's important to measure all miles including dead-head miles. I also measure time as "ass in seat" time while I'm home with app on, Im on-line but I'm not working "ass in seat" since I'm doing other thing.

negeorgia

Since I am able to figure an average mileage per trip, I also look at revenue per trip for the month. Trending up means more surge hours were predicted correctly, trending down means less surge hours were predicted correctly or did not exist. My income Jan-Jun 2016 is up from 2015. My rides given is way up. The worst number though is: my $ per trip is down $3.00 each trip (even with some Spring Saturdays with better surge than weak opponent football games). Direct result of February's rate slash. Granted, there were lots more hours of guarantees paid 1st quarter of 2015 as Uber was building business in Athens. Now Uber is reaping what they sowed into my business off the backs of old and new drivers with less surge moments and smaller minimums and less pay for longer trips. Yet I still get some riders saying that they heard drivers make $2000 a weekend during football games. I just ask them if they know that that claim is $100 per hour for 20 straight hours. I might find 3 hours the whole weekend that goes over $70 after Uber's fee.

negeorgia

negeorgia you must use Sherpa? If not, how are you tracking per trip data?
The partner app used to show weekly pay as a list in earnings history, now it show trips completed. I then add my Uber gas back into my pay and figure earnings per completed trip. Per hour figures get depressing quickly, $16, then $3.20, then 0. Before the rate cuts, $20/hr without surge was possible. Now it is impossible.

dolllarchaser

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
This hourly vs rev/mile came up when I was asked if I prefer longer rides vs short rides. While I like longer rides, I know my rev/mile is capped at $.65 or so (includes time), yet, hourly can be approx. $15 -$18. Yet, on shorter rides, say minimum fares, it is possible to get more than $1 per mile but very hard to do more than $12 - $16 per hour (3-4 minimum fares per hour). I am not considering pool as I don't have enough experience with them to estimate.

Am I dissecting a gnat's arsehair or what?

Harleyfxdx1

This hourly vs rev/mile came up when I was asked if I prefer longer rides vs short rides. While I like longer rides, I know my rev/mile is capped at $.65 or so (includes time), yet,
hourly can be approx. $15 -$18. Yet, on shorter rides, say minimum fares, it is possible to get more than $1 per mile but very hard to do more than $12 - $16 per hour (3-4 minimum fares per hour). I am not considering pool as I don't have enough experience with them to estimate.

No, but I believe you may have lanced the
pimple on the gnats ass

PTCGUY

This hourly vs rev/mile came up when I was asked if I prefer longer rides vs short rides. While I like longer rides, I know my rev/mile is capped at $.65 or so (includes time), yet, hourly can be approx. $15 -$18. Yet, on shorter rides, say minimum fares, it is possible to get more than $1 per mile but very hard to do more than $12 - $16 per hour (3-4 minimum fares per hour). I am not considering pool as I don't have enough experience with them to estimate.

You don't need experience with pool to figure. Pool is .59/mile and time (driver take) and minimum is the same as X. Your analysis is right and is the same for X and pool.