Hourly guarantee ping manipulation explained

Whisena

So, I was doing hourly guarantee this week and came up with this explanation.

Essentialy, the reason why it felt soo slow doing hourly guarantee is due to ping radius of how far uber will match passenger for the hourly guarantee people are the shortest. After some experimentation, i realize that if i stay in certain mall or theater, i get pings matched with me no problem and usually pax are already by the designated uber waiting area which is within walking distance. Certain infamous hill in LA where most people driving medals that are dread to go will get u quick pings as well long as you are willing to drive some curvy hills. Hope this helps, and sorry if i ruined any hourly people's trade secret :smiles:

kes1981

Meh, doesn't seem to be an issue anymore. I finished my 18 rides today in 5 and a half hours. Dramatic difference from 2 weeks ago.

nickguyver

Meh, doesn't seem to be an issue anymore. I finished my 18 rides today in 5 and a half hours. Dramatic difference from 2 weeks ago.
Wasn't an issue for me last weekend. Actually I missed Friday because of lack of pings but Saturday and Sunday was easy

Tedgey

Wasn't an issue for me last weekend. Actually I missed Friday because of lack of pings but Saturday and Sunday was easy
You guys are cold. hearted. This guy finally figured it out and you're going to brush it off like it's nothing. Harrumph!

Remember a couple months ago Uber was out to get the hourly drivers by giving them runs that were too long?

nickguyver

You guys are cold. hearted. This guy finally figured it out and you're going to brush it off like it's nothing. Harrumph!

Remember a couple months ago Uber was out to get the hourly drivers by giving them runs that were too long?
For what it's worth I stand 100% behind my belief they have altered my pingability in the past. What I experienced on numerous nights was unexplainable by anything but manipulation on ubers behalf.

Adieu

Same nonsense with Lyft...

Wonder if that's eating into my Premier pings when outside the guarantee county (OC) entirely

SmokeyTheRobot

People who know how to work the hourly guarantees are the most efficient drivers. It's not even debatable.
Sure are quite a few elite hourly drivers complaining about advanced conspiratorial algorithms working against them. Uber isn't Google, they could program these variables but they just don't, they're more of an advertising company than a software company. Top notch programmers aren't flocking to Ubo. Hanlon's razor seems the most likely explanation. Someone driving 30 trips per week having more trouble finding pings than others driving more than double is just common sense.

LA Dispatcher

Sure are quite a few elite hourly drivers complaining about advanced conspiratorial algorithms working against them. Uber isn't Google, they could program these variables but they just don't, they're more of an advertising company than a software company. Top notch programmers aren't flocking to Ubo. Hanlon's razor seems the most likely explanation. Someone driving 30 trips per week having more trouble finding pings than others driving more than double is just common sense.
So a company who has a history of unethical business practices with their "partners" are too lazy to program variables that might benefit them? I'm going to go back in my bunker and move on to my next conspiracy theory.:confused:

SmokeyTheRobot

So a company who has a history of unethical business practices with their "partners" are too lazy to program variables that might benefit them? I'm going to go back in my bunker and move on to my next conspiracy theory.:confused:
They'd love to screw us, they simply don't have the talent. I haven't seen their budget but I'm certain programming is a small fraction.

LA Dispatcher

So, I was doing hourly guarantee this week and came up with this explanation.

Essentialy, the reason why it felt soo slow doing hourly guarantee is due to ping radius of how far uber will match passenger for the hourly guarantee people are the shortest. After some experimentation, i realize that if i stay in certain mall or theater, i get pings matched with me no problem and usually pax are already by the designated uber waiting area which is within walking distance. Certain infamous hill in LA where most people driving medals that are dread to go will get u quick pings as well long as you are willing to drive some curvy hills. Hope this helps, and sorry if i ruined any hourly people's trade secret :smiles:
Options are limited and you eventually have to dead mile back to those places. Defeats the whole purpose of being hourly with all the time wasted.

nickguyver

Lol.

Haven't you seen how buggy the app is after every update?
oh because your earnings boost doesn't show up right away sometimes? because new functions don't work perfectly when they are launched? These are only amenities for us and affect their revenue 0. Not even a concern. Have you noticed how often the uber servers crash? Rarely. It's actually impressive and is a testament to how great their dev team is. ALWAYS generating revenue regardless of the partner apps bells and whistles. Pax are always able to request rides and spend their money and regardless of how smooth our new features work we are always accepting those pax requests and that's all that matters.

Keep in mind über, unlike lyft has no beta version of their app for some partners. Lyft does have a beta app for select drivers where they roll out new features and debug them from that batch before releasing to all drivers. How many of you knew that? We are ubers beta. We will have annoying issues

OC Lady Uber Driver

I do not believe there is any manipulation with regards to the pings you get during an hourly guarantee period. As in real estate, your ability to get pings is all based on rider demand and your location-location-location.

nickguyver

I do not believe there is any manipulation with regards to the pings you get during an hourly guarantee period. As in real estate, your ability to get pings is all based on rider demand and your location-location-location.
Yeah explain not being able ping yourself off of multiple other accounts 8 times in a row on each account when you are in an isolated area away from the ants and every time it goes to a driver 3-7 minutes away. I get that it sounds silly, I would think the same if I read about it and never experienced it. But those who it has happened to know the frustration and it is so blatant it's literally unbelievable lol

F213

I guess you haven't seen the thread about the ratings system and how it isn't explained to the riders, but yeah... a 6 billion dollar entity wouldn't be looking out for itself.

They know it's borked, yet every roll out, the same concern never gets adressed.