Hourly Guarantee Nightmare

CTsammyD

I have been driving in LA full-time with Uber 6 or 7 weeks, averaging around 25-30 hours and bouncing between gold and silver status, and generally happy with my experience thus far. I worked Monday-Wednesday last week, only gave around 20 rides as I was headed out of town for a long weekend.

This week, I was given the hourly guarantee, so I thought 'Great, I'll just work 5-11PM and make the 1.5 rides an hour easily'. I learned very quickly this would not be the case, and after some research on this forum, I see that the hourly guarantee is overall a crock and you get put at the end of the line as far as requests go.

It's now Wednesday afternoon, I have worked 9 and a half hours thus far this week, and have made $24.62 on 7 rides. I understand I won't be taking home a lot of $ this week, but figured I would get my ride count back up and be either gold or silver next week-- this is proving to be a very difficult task. I am panicking because as mentioned previously, this is my chief source of income and like any adult, I have bills and responsibilities. I have reached out politely to Support who were friendly but unhelpful.

Please keep the WHAT DID YOU EXPECT's and the THIS COMES UP EVERYDAY's to yourselves, as I am new to this forum, but some helpful feedback and/or advice would be very much apprecaited. Thanks guys.

Shotime4

I would recommend you drive some hours in the non core areas so you can get your ride count up for next week. It seems the hourly people are struggling while driving in the core during incentive times..you will probably have to work outside the incentive hours

GeladaMate

If your a full time driver you should be at 75+ rides. Ubering just isn't for you finding another gig is the best advice I can give.

twobucca2

I have been driving in LA full-time with Uber 6 or 7 weeks, averaging around 25-30 hours and bouncing between gold and silver status, and generally happy with my experience thus far. I worked Monday-Wednesday last week, only gave around 20 rides as I was headed out of town for a long weekend.

This week, I was given the hourly guarantee, so I thought 'Great, I'll just work 5-11PM and make the 1.5 rides an hour easily'. I learned very quickly this would not be the case, and after some research on this forum, I see that the hourly guarantee is overall a crock and you get put at the end of the line as far as requests go.

It's now Wednesday afternoon, I have worked 9 and a half hours thus far this week, and have made $24.62 on 7 rides. I understand I won't be taking home a lot of $ this week, but figured I would get my ride count back up and be either gold or silver next week-- this is proving to be a very difficult task. I am panicking because as mentioned previously, this is my chief source of income and like any adult, I have bills and responsibilities. I have reached out politely to Support who were friendly but unhelpful.

Please keep the WHAT DID YOU EXPECT's and the THIS COMES UP EVERYDAY's to yourselves, as I am new to this forum, but some helpful feedback and/or advice would be very much apprecaited. Thanks guys.
Same boat, bro. Same "guarentee". Same bullshit. I sympathize with your plight.

Attachments

XUberMike

Go to the outskirts of non core and request yourself (and your friends as well) 45 times. It will cost you 45 X $1.65 and 25% of the minimum and bingo your gold for a $100 or so dollars. You'll make that back in one day

ajcadoo

At least you researched the phenomenon on the forum prior to posting. I wonder if ping prioritization is possible to include as part of a legal battle? The deception behind it is crazy! I want a lawyer to get his eyes on the concept and see if it is worth pursuing. Because it sucks for drivers like you, who are now stuck in hourly/non-incentive land and can't get back into the metals! Not only is the hourly impossible, but getting out of the hourly is impossible!

second2noone

well looks like you will have to suck it up and just get the ride count up so you can get back to fuber special olympic medals. Have to go non-core.

Fuber really doesn't want anyone to quit even for 1 week. Once you are off medals hard to get back.

GeladaMate

This is laughably wrong. He is not a bad driver as he said previously. Once he got out of the metals, he encountered the ping prioritization problem and can't get pings at all.
So you want me to believe Uber would rather a platinum status driver that is getting 2.0 boost rides at %20 commission get the ping vs a new driver at 25 % commission driving at base rates.

If you cant catch a ping you're bad at the game simple as that.

Next thing you guys will come up with is Uber is run by little green men from Mars.

Retrojka

I drove this morning from 7-9 and barely made the 3 rides required. Its been like that since monday, and now im thinking about not going for yhe hourly guarantee anymore and start working towards next week trying to gain platinum status. Screw this hourly guarantee, im going to drive in non core areas and make as many rides possible.

Tedgey

I drove this morning from 7-9 and barely made the 3 rides required. Its been like that since monday, and now im thinking about not going for yhe hourly guarantee anymore and start working towards next week trying to gain platinum status. Screw this hourly guarantee, im going to drive in non core areas and make as many rides possible.
Did you make the requirement Monday and Tuesday?

Tedgey

You people are wedded to this hourly dream. Like a gambler chasing losses. If you're there for half the time frame and you've not gotten a ping yet you can:

A) stick around and hope it gets better and you can catch up (chasing your losses.) I'm sure this works sometimes, especially with pool rides, 3 rides/hour is very doable if you get pinged.

B) go home and try the next incentive period.

or

C) go somewhere else and try to make some money outside of the core/hourly guarantee program.

It amazes me how many will choose A and stick it out until the bitter end. Like it's a badge of honor. Just drive somewhere else and make $20/hour instead of $30. It's better than the $5/hour you're making if you don't get enough rides.

Shotime4

You people are wedded to this hourly dream. Like a gambler chasing losses. If you're there for half the time frame and you've not gotten a ping yet you can:

A) stick around and hope it gets better and you can catch up (chasing your losses.) I'm sure this works sometimes, especially with pool rides, 3 rides/hour is very doable if you get pinged.

B) go home and try the next incentive period.

or

C) go somewhere else and try to make some money outside of the core/hourly guarantee program.

It amazes me how many will choose A and stick it out until the bitter end. Like it's a badge of honor. Just drive somewhere else and make $20/hour instead of $30. It's better than the $5/hour you're making if you don't get enough rides.
what happens with Uber is drivers fail to adjust to whatever the new reality is...Happened to me earlier this year when they first started doing Core bonuses and I couldn't just drive surge anymore..took me a couple of weeks to truly realize things had changed...

same thing is going on here..the hourly people were making a killing..last 2 weeks Uber has switched it up so they are not just giving money away while still keeping surge down...

Tedgey

what happens with Uber is drivers fail to adjust to whatever the new reality is...Happened to me earlier this year when they first started doing Core bonuses and I couldn't just drive surge anymore..took me a couple of weeks to truly realize things had changed...

same thing is going on here..the hourly people were making a killing..last 2 weeks Uber has switched it up so they are not just giving money away while still keeping surge down...
Yeah. Maybe there's a parallel here with great fighters. People talk about Floyd Mayweather and say he's great because his Philly shell defense, or his pull counter, or whatever. But what makes him great is his adaptability. He gives you a ton of different looks and he's extraordinary at all of them.

Maybe that's the real skill here that you can only gain with time and that's adaptability. And the willingness to keep trying different things. When one option is shut down to be able to efficiently shift strategies to another. Maybe that's all of life I don't know. I'm crappy at Uber and life so...

DriverXlaoc

uber and lyft have oversaturated drivers. You need to work at a paydayloan shop or a medical marijuana shop. that is where the money is at. also, if you're deciding to stay with uber, become a part-time bounty hunter. a taser will help out.