• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Hot weather surges

nouberipo

Out east near Willoughby, I have been online for 3 hours and not a single surge between Willoughby and East Cleveland. Pings.....oh yeah, one after the next for 10, 15, 20, and 25 minute pick-ups. Does Uber really think I am going to drive my personal car, use my gas money, to pick up ghetto trash for non-surge rates when the heat index is well over 100 and they NEED the rides, not just want them? You KNOW it is 100 percent surging everywhere but it is all going to Uber. Again, from about 2:30pm until nearly 6pm on a busy Friday with the heat index well over 100, there has not been a single surge but there have been ping, after ping, after ping non-stop. I have not taken a single one as I am not here to finance Uber's c-suite and their investors. If they want us to drive in this deadly heat, then pay for the privilege of using me to make money for you and your investors.

McNutt2K10

I was downtown last night just after the Tribe game dropping someone off at the Jack... people walking everywhere, no pings or surge.

pizzaladee

I’ve noticed lately after the tribe games there will eventually be a surge, but I don’t get a ping.

It takes a long time for the surge to actually show up. I will check the rider app and see that they are charging 2x base rates, yet no surge shows on the driver app. Once the surge finally shows I stop receiving pings. Up until then I have pings almost constantly.

Lyft seems to always be at base rate, even on the rider app. I had my first PPZ last night for the first time in a long time, which is why I rarely turn lyft on anymore. The pax I drove said she has a hard time finding a Lyft ride downtown anymore and usually waits 15 minutes or more. I was actually the second driver assigned to her, the first was 20 minutes away, and then it switched to me. I had just turned on Lyft because a $9.13 PPZ popped up. She didn’t pay any surge pricing on her ride, Lyft lost $4 and change.

McNutt2K10

I’ve noticed lately after the tribe games there will eventually be a surge, but I don’t get a ping.

It takes a long time for the surge to actually show up. I will check the rider app and see that they are charging 2x base rates, yet no surge shows on the driver app. Once the surge finally shows I stop receiving pings. Up until then I have pings almost constantly.

Lyft seems to always be at base rate, even on the rider app. I had my first PPZ last night for the first time in a long time, which is why I rarely turn lyft on anymore. The pax I drove said she has a hard time finding a Lyft ride downtown anymore and usually waits 15 minutes or more. I was actually the second driver assigned to her, the first was 20 minutes away, and then it switched to me. I had just turned on Lyft because a $9.13 PPZ popped up. She didn’t pay any surge pricing on her ride, Lyft lost $4 and change.
I hear ya Pizza. I'm of the opinion that unless you are shooting for the near unobtainable goals for bonus payout, surges are just about a thing of the past. Two summers ago when I started driving, if someone farted to loud in a bar and everyone wanted to escape, a 2.5× surge would pop randomly just about every 15 minutes or so. Now... nothing. Ahhhh the good ole daze!!!!

Rosalita

Lyft needs to stop passing out all those free ride coupons and discount ride coupons. They're killing themselves - and us. I only drive for Lyft. Might be time to change that up. Drove on the really hot days and many of the rides were pax going 3 blocks. I don't know what has happened to Lyft. I think they're funneling all the scheduled rides, long rides, etc. to their Express Drivers who have to pay for the car AND do the mandatory rides per week. They're killing the rest of us out here if that's the case. Seems have to drive twice as long to make half as much. Cannot be because of too many drivers out here, either.

czervik7

Why in the name of God would you drive Lyft only? I turn Lyft off on the weekends.

During the week they’re useful.

Had a Columbus ride from GogoGrandparent last week. Told them it will cost them additional bucks because of the deadhead back. They hemmed and hawed as this was their first rideshare and it wasn’t through the app.

I said let’s cancel because I don’t want you to be mad the whole way down. No charge. I explained the situation. They needed to get to Columbus airport and took the ride.

When we arrived at John Glenn airport they gave me an additional twenty and said, “You represent Lyft well.”

It was a pleasant ride home. Nice people.

MSBash

When we arrived at John Glenn airport they gave me an additional twenty and said, “You represent Lyft well.”
Did you just negotiate $20 for almost a 2 hour drive back or was that just a tip aside from the additional cost of driving back?

Nvm, I just read your comment again. Assuming it was a tip on top the negotiated fee. How much did you negotiate, if you don't mind me asking?

czervik7

Did you just negotiate $20 for almost a 2 hour drive back or was that just a tip aside from the additional cost of driving back?

Nvm, I just read your comment again. Assuming it was a tip on top the negotiated fee. How much did you negotiate, if you don't mind me asking?
$40 before the ride started.

czervik7

What percentage of riders agree to that? I would think many wouldn’t.
I’ve never had anyone tell me to cancel. I usually charge $30 per hour but this was an older couple using GogoGrandparent and they weren’t familiar with Lyft.

What’s the worst that could happen? You have to cancel and not take a ride 2 hours away from your home base.

Long rides are great! But you have to get paid to return. I don’t charge extra for long rides where I have an expectation of getting some rides to return home. Uber and Lyft aren’t gonna pay you to drive deadhead.