Hot spots

Shmo313

I'd say stay over between bu college, northeastern, and bc college. Just stay over near those colleges, especially this time of year, and you will do just fine. Does anybody want to actually do their own work these days, or does everyone just want it handed to them?

Djc

You either know the city or use trial and error like everyone else. I have a few hot spots for the slow summer season but they are and always will be trade secrets. Sorry. Posting hot spots in a public forum is unfair to your fellow drivers. The pie is small enough as is.

BostonTaxiDriver

Even knowing the city pretty well after all these years in the cab, if it's slow... it's slow. It's often just luck more than strategy or knowledge.

The first two weeks of July (maybe the entire month?) may be the slowest part of the year, save for a few good shifts. Check the other cities here; many drivers are complaining this week.

One female taxi dispatcher, on a very slow summer night years ago, sympathized with the drivers but asked, "What the heck do you want me to do, just randomly call people in the phone book and ask if they need a cab?

The best months, in my opinion, are September to December, then March to June.

Reactions: NBR

Gung-Ho

One female taxi dispatcher, on a very slow summer night years ago, sympathized with the drivers but asked, "What the heck do you want me to do, just randomly call people in the phone book and ask if they need a cab?
That's a classic dispatcher comment. I used to be a dispatcher for a fleet company.
My favorite was. Would anybody be interested in a trip to New York for a flat $500.00? The radio would crackle with drivers killing themselves trying to call in.
Then I'd say as soon as I get the call I'll let you know.

Jerako

Hi guys, I agree with BostonTaxiDriver, luck has a lot to do with it. You have a plan, execute as best you can , and prey you hit a good one with a decent surge. Unfortunately in the summer, surge is so infrequent, and slow. Most of the surges are short distance, but you can get lucky, had just dropped off a young lady , couple of weeks ago from southie to the revere on Stuart, as I got there, uber pinned me at 2x , from ostra across the street to a hotel in Norwood, made a nice 70plus, two business men from Toronto, live in braintree, called it a night. Hang in there , Sept right around the corner, better for all.