Hostility towards surgical face masks

ThraddashTorch9517

With all the recent media coverage of covid-19, I decided to play it safe and start wearing a surgical face mask when I drive. I'm stuck in an enclosed space all day with all sorts of pax coming in, and I can't roll windows down as pax complain about even the slightest crack.

Most pax don't seem to have any problem with my mask, but there are a few very vocal ones who get into my car demanding to know if I'm sick. I assure them I'm not and tell them that I'm wearing the mask for my own protection. Surprisingly this response is unsatisfactory to many of them, who insist that THEY are not sick either and therefore I should remove the mask because it makes them uncomfortable or scared.

But their assurance is hardly convincing considering covid-19 is reportedly both asymptomatic and airborne. At this point I reluctantly remind them that they are free to cancel the ride if they are uncomfortable. Oddly none of them ever chooses to cancel, but I've noticed a few 1-stars pop up.

Uber has provided no guidance on this topic. I am doing a service for public health and should not have to forsake my own health to protect my ratings. Some have suggested that they can call police on me because they can't see my whole face and that makes them feel threatened. But the bottom line is I did not force them to take the ride and gave them a chance to cancel.

Any thoughts?

got a p

i had a chinese passenger with a facemask leaving a hospital the other day. i asked him if he had coronavirus before letting him in the car. he said he hadn't been to china in over a year. better safe than sorry, but i felt weird about asking for sure. he had the flu and i don't know if you know this but the reason you see so many asians wearing facemasks is because they are sick and don't want to spread germs, not the other way around. would be nice if americans would wear facemasks when they are sick.

in the winter drink a few large glasses of orange juice every day and you wont get sick from pax germs. in that tiny, enclosed area germs smell rank too :yuck:

Paladin220

The CDC has come out a said that a healthy person gains no protection from getting sick by wearing one of those masks. the only people that should be wearing them are the people who are already sick so that they limit the chance on contaminating someone else. You are pissing off your passengers for no reason.

[email protected]

The CDC has come out a said that a healthy person gains no protection from getting sick by wearing one of those masks. the only people that should be wearing them are the people who are already sick so that they limit the chance on contaminating someone else. You are pissing off your passengers for no reason.
My sister asked me if I'm wearing a mask when I'm driving because of the Coronavirus. I told her the same thing - the CDC has come out and said they do nothing to protect you. Wearing a mask is just going to worry the pax that you're sick, or that you might not be the driver in the photo. I can see this leading to potential deactivation, or at least a "time-out", if too many complaints.

Trafficat

My sister asked me if I'm wearing a mask when I'm driving because of the Coronavirus. I told her the same thing - the CDC has come out and said they do nothing to protect you. Wearing a mask is just going to worry the pax that you're sick, or that you might not be the driver in the photo. I can see this leading to potential deactivation, or at least a "time-out", if too many complaints.
Is there anything in the terms that says we cannot wear a mask? I can't understand how this should lead to a deactivation or a timeout as long as you don't wear a mask during the selfie check.

A surgical mask can protect you from splashed fluids. However, not all masks are made equal. While a surgical mask might do little to protect you from an airborne illness, something like an N95 mask will do a lot better since it is designed as a filter.

UberBastid

The CDC is a political organization.
They do not wish to start a panic; so they don't want a lot of peeps wearing the mask.

How can a mask NOT protect the wearer? A filter works both directions.
It doesn't make sense.
I think the gov't lies to us ... hard to believe I know, but ... just sayin' ...

I used to work in a hospital.
When I worked in the OR I wore a mask to protect the patients from me.
When I worked in the morgue, I wore a mask to protect me from the 'patients'.
And that was policy.

tohunt4me

With all the recent media coverage of covid-19, I decided to play it safe and start wearing a surgical face mask when I drive. I'm stuck in an enclosed space all day with all sorts of pax coming in, and I can't roll windows down as pax complain about even the slightest crack.

Most pax don't seem to have any problem with my mask, but there are a few very vocal ones who get into my car demanding to know if I'm sick. I assure them I'm not and tell them that I'm wearing the mask for my own protection. Surprisingly this response is unsatisfactory to many of them, who insist that THEY are not sick either and therefore I should remove the mask because it makes them uncomfortable or scared.

But their assurance is hardly convincing considering covid-19 is reportedly both asymptomatic and airborne. At this point I reluctantly remind them that they are free to cancel the ride if they are uncomfortable. Oddly none of them ever chooses to cancel, but I've noticed a few 1-stars pop up.

Uber has provided no guidance on this topic. I am doing a service for public health and should not have to forsake my own health to protect my ratings. Some have suggested that they can call police on me because they can't see my whole face and that makes them feel threatened. But the bottom line is I did not force them to take the ride and gave them a chance to cancel.

Any thoughts?
China is Burning the belongings of recovered patients !

China is BURNING CASH !

SO TELL ME AGAIN HOW ANYTHING IMPORTED FROM CHINA IS SAFE !?!?!?

THE VIRUS MAY END UP IMPORTED IN THE VERY MASKS PEOPLE WEAR !
Screenshot_2020-02-17-09-26-43.png

They knowDamn Little about this Virus.

And it Shows Every Day.
Screenshot_2020-02-17-09-32-25.png

Some victims who test clean also seem to reinfect and test positive again later.
Post automatically merged:

You dont see Medical Workers Not wearing a mask.

Attachments

Last edited:

tohunt4me

Is there anything in the terms that says we cannot wear a mask? I can't understand how this should lead to a deactivation or a timeout as long as you don't wear a mask during the selfie check.

A surgical mask can protect you from splashed fluids. However, not all masks are made equal. While a surgical mask might do little to protect you from an airborne illness, something like an N95 mask will do a lot better since it is designed as a filter.

Next up
Deactivations & Lawsuits over Uber Mask issues.

peteyvavs

Any thoughts?
Stop being so paranoid, you can contract a virus by touching a doorknob, face mask are just a placebo, they won’t do anything except get you deactivated.

UberBastid

A decade or so there was a volcano that spewed smoke and soot all over Washington state. It was a very fine powder and harmful to lungs so it was recommended to wear a mask.
I remember a sign on a door to a bank: PLEASE remove your mask. Our armed bank guard is nervous.

tohunt4me

The CDC is a political organization.
They do not wish to start a panic; so they don't want a lot of peeps wearing the mask.

How can a mask NOT protect the wearer? A filter works both directions.
It doesn't make sense.
I think the gov't lies to us ... hard to believe I know, but ... just sayin' ...

I used to work in a hospital.
When I worked in the OR I wore a mask to protect the patients from me.
When I worked in the morgue, I wore a mask to protect me from the 'patients'.
And that was policy.
W.H.O. are ALL wearing masks.

They dont want a Shortage.

If someone has a Problem because YOU wear a Mask in YOUR CAR . . . .

TELL THEM TO GET THE HELL OUT OF YOUR CAR !

Trafficat

Stop being so paranoid, you can contract a virus by touching a doorknob, face mask are just a placebo, they won’t do anything except get you deactivated.
Has anyone been deactivated for a mask? Touching a doorknob infected with the virus shouldn't cause you to get sick unless your skin has holes in it or you use the fingers to touch your eyes or other mucus membranes. The skin is a barrier against infection.

[email protected]

No, I don't think anything says you can't wear a mask (I haven't checked), though I think it's good practice to show your face. I was more referring to accusations that the person driving is not the account holder. 😁

There are certain types of masks that might protect you, but not the ones the general public would buy at a pharmacy or at Walmart. I do believe they actually did go into detail on that. Basically, a respirator is overkill unless you're in a high risk area.

peteyvavs

Has anyone been deactivated for a mask? Touching a doorknob infected with the virus shouldn't cause you to get sick unless your skin has holes in it or you use the fingers to touch your eyes or other mucus membranes. The skin is a barrier against infection.
You can be infected without even knowing it, my point being is that a face mask will frighten passengers and enough one stars will get you deactivated. If you’re that scared then just isolate yourself from the world.