1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Hopkins Airport Queue: Estimated wait time added to Uber driver app

Discussion in 'Cleveland & Akron' started by Michael - Cleveland, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Michael - Cleveland

Michael - Cleveland Moderator

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Uber has added a new feature to the Hopkins Airport Queue:
    The app will now display an estimate of how long it will be until you can get a ride request.

The new feature went into effect on Monday evening 3/21 and early reports are that is working - but reports wait times that are conservatively longer than actual wait times. For example, one driver reported reported he was seeing a 35-40 min wait time but he received a ride request within 10 minutes.

This could be a very helpful feature if Uber can get it ti be as accurate as possible... which we can assume will take time as the system 'learns' from real-time experience and makes adjustments to how it does its estimates.

Please report your experience with the Hopkins Airport queue here in Uberpeople.net!

rideshareguycolumbus and SpeedyP like this.
  2. Michael - Cleveland

Driving:
    UberSELECT
  3. Marlan P.

Marlan P.

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I did not get it! Someone with a galaxy s6 showed me today and I have a s6 as well. I want it! You there at the ap now? My app store is not showing me an update yet.

4. Marlan P.

Marlan P.

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    They probably purposely say longer for the worst case scenario. Earlier request makes the driver feel better probably about uber.

5. Vernomalus95

Vernomalus95

Driving:
    UberX
    Does it pop up when you enter the queue?

6. SpeedyP

SpeedyP

This is pretty cool. Honestly though I'd prefer to see the number I am in line. I guess you can see based on number of drivers that show up in the pax app.

7. Marlan P.

Marlan P.

Driving:
    UberSELECT

Was their an update in your app store for this or was it something where you had to accept in order sign back ok....everyone is getting this option but I haven't. It would prevent me of going crazy waiting on when I will get a ping, also would let me know if I would wanna wait the estimated time. Is this only for X or?

8. SpeedyP

SpeedyP

I was just commenting on the idea of it. I haven't drive in a few weeks due to injury so I'm not sure why it's working for some and not others.

9. Michael - Cleveland

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    yes... or if you're close to the airport and there are no cars in the lot.

10. Vernomalus95

Vernomalus95

Driving:
    UberX
    Pulled in last night, no pop up. Waited about 15 mins. then started driving away and a few more mins down 237 (always happens lol) a ping. Out to Solon eek.

No estimate though, what gives, mcgrUber? I even installed the update. Headscratcher.

11. Michael - Cleveland

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Here's what one of our ZELLO group members discovered last night (Thank you Aaron) - and I was able to confirm:

The reported GPS location from our device (phone/tablet) is not always very accurate. In fact, they are usually only accurate to within 20'-30'. You can verify this by looking at your location in the rider app, where you will often see your car moving around a bit - even when you are parked and standing still.

If our location is reported to the Uber system just 10' to 20' further east than the cell lot (which is only ~50' wide to begin with) then the Uber system does not 'see' you as being within the geo-fence for the airport queue.

This would explain a lot... like why so many drivers have reported that the 'queue' was 'not working' (because they witnessed cars that arrived in the cell lot after them receive ride requests before they did).

As Aaron suggested to me last night, it looks like Uber is going to have to widen the area that is geo-fenced for the cell-lot.

In the meantime, if you think about this and pay attention to exactly where on the airport grounds you see the time estimator pop-up on your screen, you can identify where you need to be get added to the airport queue.

Hope that helps.

12. SpeedyP

SpeedyP

I feel that in the driver app our GPS is probably accurate. Not definite but probably. From my understanding the GPS location is delayed on the passenger app for security reasons. This delay in time is to prevent someone from knowing your exact location. Unless you are at a standstill.

The only issue I've ever noticed with the airport...ill watch my car on the passenger app disappear while I am driving past the cell lot on my way to the cell lot turnoff. I never understand why cars disappear at that moment then reappear when I arrive in the lot.

Michael - Cleveland likes this.
  13. Michael - Cleveland

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    You first say that you think the GPS is accurate...
    But then you confirm exactly what I described above by detailing how your car "disappears" from the rider app when you are on 237 heading towards the cell lot. That's the GPS shift. Your rider app 'thinks' it is on airport grounds and is only displaying cars that are in the queue in the cell lot (if there are drivers in the cell lot).

14. Roger in Canton

Roger in Canton

Driving:
    UberX
    Do I need permit or anything to pickup at Cleveland Airport? I'm usually only in canton area, but did have a ride from CAK to CLE. While there could I have picked up? Maybe get a ride back south.

15. Michael - Cleveland

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Nope. The state of Ohio requires municipalities to allow TNC drivers access to public airports. The airport/city is allowed to require fees or permits - but as of now, Cleveland Hopkins has no such requirement.

16. Gilligan

Gilligan

I've noticed that have waited much much longer for a rider alert than what the queue had stated... Not too mention, sometimes rather than the time shortening as I wait, it starts adding more time to it. (PDX airport)

17. Michael - Cleveland

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    It's been pretty accurate for me... sometimes longer, usually a little shorter (as some drivers leave the que). The times show do adjust based on the live data that Uber's system reviews (incoming flights, delays, # of drivers in the ques, etc.) so you can see some weird things like the wait time increasing instead of decreasing.

18. Uber8er

Uber8er

I don't get it what's the hype about driving at the airport unless you are getting select trips. No surge no thanks. Really!!

19. Michael - Cleveland

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    When there is no surge, you can sit on your but and earn zero (or drive around losing money)
    or you can wait a few minutes at the airport and get non-surge rides.
    It's a personal choice.
    And not everyone drives only UberX.