Honestly...Is it worth it?

Peter J

Hi there,

My name is Peter (Peej) and I am currently going through the motions/paperwork to register as an Uber 'partner' driver.

I have been following Uber closely since it's introduction to the Perth public transport market and even wrote a speculative article about the company regarding my personal experiences utilizing the service and also its legal issues worldwide. As well as keeping abreast of the growth and popularity of the service, I have been 'ghosting' a few forums to discover whether it would be a worthwhile occupation. (You should also know that I intend to use a friends car as mine is not a viable option).

In short, considering that I will be kicking back some of what I make to my friend in lieu of renting a car of my own, the changes and increased expenses due in July and the fact that (on the forums) Uber drivers seem to be dis-satisfied in general...is it worth it? (It comes as no surprise that Uber corporate manifested their greed. What is surprising is it took them so long).

So, before I go and get, what is for me, an expensive medical etc.

Should I bother?

Most sincerely indeed,

Peej

Potsy

Hi there,

My name is Peter (Peej) and I am currently going through the motions/paperwork to register as an Uber 'partner' driver.

I have been following Uber closely since it's introduction to the Perth public transport market and even wrote a speculative article about the company regarding my personal experiences utilizing the service and also its legal issues worldwide. As well as keeping abreast of the growth and popularity of the service, I have been 'ghosting' a few forums to discover whether it would be a worthwhile occupation. (You should also know that I intend to use a friends car as mine is not a viable option).

In short, considering that I will be kicking back some of what I make to my friend in lieu of renting a car of my own, the changes and increased expenses due in July and the fact that (on the forums) Uber drivers seem to be dis-satisfied in general...is it worth it? (It comes as no surprise that Uber corporate manifested their greed. What is surprising is it took them so long).

So, before I go and get, what is for me, an expensive medical etc.

Should I bother?

Most sincerely indeed,

Peej
One word....NO....it's not worth it. I joined nearly 2 years ago and income was then good but its been declining ever since.
Now I've cut back on my hours as during off peak hours the income is so poor. Now only drive fri/sat nights which still helps to pay a few bills which is the most you can expect from uber now.
Do not ever try to rely on uber as a full time job as you will be disappointed but it still helps in the interim period until i can get out of it.

Jeffa0

July will be the final decider, I suspect Uber will have no choice but to up the rate in lieu of what the government puts out.

If they don't - it'll be the end of UberX in perth.

UberDriverAU

In your situation, I would definitely say don't bother. Unless you own a cheap and economical car, I simply can't see it being viable.

Potsy

One word....NO....it's not worth it. I joined nearly 2 years ago and income was then good but its been declining ever since.
Now I've cut back on my hours as during off peak hours the income is so poor. Now only drive fri/sat nights which still helps to pay a few bills which is the most you can expect from uber now.
Do not ever try to rely on uber as a full time job as you will be disappointed but it still helps in the interim period until i can get out of it.
July will be the final decider, I suspect Uber will have no choice but to up the rate in lieu of what the government puts out.

If they don't - it'll be the end of UberX in perth.
Jeff, Uberblack is their premium service which they dont seem to stuff with. It's mainly uberx and uberxl where they love to slash and burn the drivers

haldriver

Does your friend know the problem with insurance. He is letting you drive his/her car and it will not be covered.
Check insurance company before you risk your friend's car and your friendship.

Darrell

Does your friend know the problem with insurance. He is letting you drive his/her car and it will not be covered.
Check insurance company before you risk your friend's car and your friendship.
Uber want let him drive the friends car unless the friend adds him as a listed driver on the policy to which Uber might call and verify and get the friend dropped from his insurance so in your case, it is not worth it unless you have your own car and your own insurance.

UberPig

Basically no. If I didnt have the car and gone through the hoops I wouldnt bother. The added expense in July will finish it for me.

Peter J

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
OK.

Thanks for contributing everybody. I haven't had a single answer or opinion that is in the affirmative so I think that my decision will be likewise.

Once again, thanks for your time and your honesty.

Sincerely,

Peter J.

Silver Cap

But if you do do it you will have a ball. Just don't expect Uber to have your back. And try to have as little contact with the office as possible.
I love the job. if it wasn't for Uber it would be great!

Pp23

You will end up raking up a shit load of kays on your friends car.
There's already to many drivers on the the road, can wait a while in between trips.

Even if the rates went back up, it simply wouldn't make much of a difference since more and more drivers are signing up each week. You will be sitting around for even longer!!

Only way to make a decent living is with uber black. There raking it in.

vinzvinz92

You will end up raking up a shit load of kays on your friends car.
There's already to many drivers on the the road, can wait a while in between trips.

Even if the rates went back up, it simply wouldn't make much of a difference since more and more drivers are signing up each week. You will be sitting around for even longer!!

Only way to make a decent living is with uber black. There raking it in.
You should expect to wait even longer in between jobs with us Blacks, sometimes 1 hour+, 2 hours or even longer with no Black jobs.. Also the running costs are high and sometimes the Black cars can be saturated at one area too, you can find yourself constantly dodging from other drivers just to get a job. However the earning potential can be higher if you get jobs. It's a bit of hit and miss for me.

Pp23

You should expect to wait even longer in between jobs with us Blacks, sometimes 1 hour+, 2 hours or even longer with no Black jobs.. Also the running costs are high and sometimes the Black cars can be saturated at one area too, you can find yourself constantly dodging from other drivers just to get a job. However the earning potential can be higher if you get jobs. It's a bit of hit and miss for me.
And on top of this ,u guys have your regular clients ,that legally have to pay a $60 minimum fare.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm aware of your added cost ,was just being cheeky :smiles:
It's a tough industry to work in.

Uberelitescv1

Honestly it's not worth it. Run your car to the ground for pennies. Put up with idiots in your own car. UberX is the type of pay you get from concentration camps.

Many drivers here do not understand the difference between 'cash flow' and 'net income'.

They think when uber pays them 800$ a week that they made 800$. Wrong! Minus your expenses and you probably only made 500$ for that week.

Uber is relying on this fact that many drivers cannot tell the difference between cash flow and net income.

Better you drive uberblack, at the time being still you can make money with black.

This is my honest opinion.

Uberelitescv1

Lets count.

Legit way?

First apply for scv plate. Gov handing these out like candies atm.

Then buy new 2016 - 7series bmw maybe 300k.

Atleast for 2years you should be safe. Uber wont drop you for 2years.

Commercial insurance 2.5k

Servicing 1.5k

Few hand made italian suits 15k

This is the way uber would want you to service their pax.

Otherwise you could probably do it all on the cheapside for under 80K ...

For 80K I would just buy a coffee shop and live closer to a retiree lifestyle than picking up smelly drunks ...

Last edited:

Uberelitescv1

This is #%*@*! Up ... Just got a call out barrack st to parmelia hilton! Good work uber! Make the fares cheaper! You made fares so cheap people dont want to walk! Literally 4min walk! For the love of god!

Potsy

This is #%*@*! Up ... Just got a call out barrack st to parmelia hilton! Good work uber! Make the fares cheaper! You made fares so cheap people dont want to walk! Literally 4min walk! For the love of god!
I think its a mistake working in town during office hours. It just takes too long fighting traffic to get to pick up point for what is often a minimum fare job.

Silver Cap

What does it cost to get into Black compared to X?? I would imagine considerably more??
Cheapest way second hand luxury car. around $70k cost you $1600 per month. Insurance $1700 = 160 per month. Plates and rego etc under $1000.
No italian suits are needed I wear my business uniform and never had a complaint. also a tax deduction including dry cleaning. Not for suit.
But the city is flooded with Black cars now that F has lifted the quota. And Partners are hiring drivers to keep the car going 24/7. Uber fees are higher and will take $400 + from you most weeks. My best month is september when I get my tax return.