1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Hoboken Police telling me Uber pickups are illegal

Discussion in 'Advice' started by UberJohnNJ, Jan 25, 2016.

1. So, now we are on to the second big NJ location to tell me that it is illegal to pick up in their location. First it was the Port Authority Police telling me that I can't go into Newark Airport as I don't have the right permits which Uber is telling me I don't need. Not sure who to believe. NOW, I go into Hoboken last night and drop off a PAX. Couple of minutes later, I pick up another and get pulled by Hoboken Police who tell me that I need permits to operate in Hoboken for pickups. Now, mind you, I have been in and out of Hoboken for quite a while and this is the first I am hearing about this. Hoboken Police let me off with a warning but the look in his eye was"Next time I catch you... $1500 fine" Again, not sure who to believe. Anyone else hearing the same?

2. maui

maui

Depends on the state and location.

Boston was the same way early last year, where Police were handing out $500 tickets.

Each city / locale can have their own ordinance and in many cases, you will need a issued medallion to be a driver for hire or have commercial insurance.

Wait. It shocks you that Uber might lie and deceive you and put your license at risk.

Perhaps you can call up CSR and tell them. Hey... I just got a $1500 ticket because Uber sent me to a drop off the police I am telling me I need a different license / paper work. Uber will tell you that you are required to satisfy all local community guidelines, it is your responsibility, and they will probably deactivate you as well.

You bear ALL or MOST of the risk. Welcome and good luck

Vox Rationis likes this.
  3. SEAL Team 5

SEAL Team 5

Driving:
    Livery
    Believe the one that can give you that $1500 fine. Uber thinks they have nationwide rights. Each state is different, hell each municipality has different requirements. Out here in AZ they have many different laws that most Uber drivers are finding out the hard way. You need to find out which government agency regulates "for hire" driving in your state and follow their guidelines. In AZ, it's the Arizona Dept of Weights and Measures. Good luck and for Gods sake, DONT trust Ubers word.

Fefe likes this.
  4. Coffeekeepsmedriving

Coffeekeepsmedriving

Driving:
    UberX
    Yes, everybody knows that from Jersey.

I got 2 tickets last month

5. sellkatsell44

sellkatsell44 Moderator

It's funny you mention this, because everyone kept saying uber is just an app and that anyone can come up with the same so what makes them so special.

Well besides the ease and user friendly component of the OS app (which is harder to duplicate than you think) and the branding (again, harder but not as hard as the OS).

I also would have figured that they figured out the logistics and legislative part of this. Like how PayPal had to pave the way with all fifty states (not an easy feat).

I would think that you'd all be happy that the local and state authorities, poss fed as well, is trying this corner in regulating uber. Because in order for uber to operate then they'll have to take a seat at the table with the gov't and that is a path to them being regulated and foundation placed into place to make things more driver friendly?

That is, if uber hasn't managed to get into bed with all of those in office already.

6. bestpals

bestpals

It is illegal in all of NJ. Only most areas the cops are not enforcing the illegality of it. Now more and more are. It's time to stop driving for a company that does everything illegal and screws its drivers by lying to them all the time, let alone paying them 3rd world country rates.

7. TwoFiddyMile

TwoFiddyMile

Driving:
    Taxi
    Uber is perfectly legal in NJ. You are REQUIRED to have OL plates and limo insurance, and theres some way to use TLC plates and insurance.
    All others attempting Uber without one of the above methods are illegal.
    Cop was right.

8. bestpals

bestpals

You are correct. I should have said uberx and uberxl is illegal in NJ. No one who only drives x or xl is going to get a TLC or OL plate. It just is not cost effective.

TwoFiddyMile likes this.
  9. TwoFiddyMile

TwoFiddyMile

Driving:
    Taxi
    Just goes to show what a crap outfit Uber is.
    Must be thousands of active UberX operators in the Garden State.
    And Uber preys upon them.

SibeRescueBrian likes this.
  10. Another Uber Driver

Another Uber Driver Moderator

Driving:
    UberTAXI

Take that and run with it.