• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Hobart Australia

Voigtstr

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Vehicle inspection done. Waiting on "Criminal History Check - Uber to Provide" and "'X' Condition - Uber to Provide"

Voigtstr

aami doesn't look like it covers ride share. RACT will cover for under 20 hours a week ride share use. For Hobart which car insurance did you use and what hours do you do a week?

Voigtstr

More car seat info for Hobart:
"
Hello

In a ride source vehicle (Uber) you will need to follow the legislation in regard to car seats for children. So all children in a ride source vehicle will need to have the age/size appropriate car seat.

Regards

Michelle Kehl | Case Manager

Department of State Growth

Registration & Licensing Services

GPO Box 1002, Hobart TAS 7001

Phone: (03) 6166 4912 | Email: michelle.kehl@stategrowth.tas.gov.au

www.stategrowth.tas.gov.au
"

I've replied;
"Hi Michelle,
Does the exemption that applies to taxis not apply to ride-share vehicles?
"http://www.transport.tas.gov.au/roadsafety/people/carseats

Taxis and public buses are exempt from supplying car seats, therefore children are not required to be seated in a car seat when travelling by taxi or bus. However all passengers including children must wear seatbelts if they are fitted."

Cheers,
"

Kehl, Michelle (StateGrowth)
15:36 (0 minutes ago)

to me

Hi

The exemption only applies to Taxis and small buses not ride source vehicles.

Regards

Michelle Kehl | Case Manager

Department of State Growth

Registration & Licensing Services

GPO Box 1002, Hobart TAS 7001

Phone: (03) 6166 4912 | Email: michelle.kehl@stategrowth.tas.gov.au

www.stategrowth.tas.gov.au

Tasweb

The "getting started in Hobart" thread is one of the most active in the general "Australia" section. There are at least four Hobart drivers or onboarding drivers active in that thread. I believe we have met the forum requirements for a Tasmania section. Please?

Voigtstr

My email to UBER support earlier today:
"
I’ve just been sent the following by sms:

“Uber: There's an issue with your Criminal History Check - Uber to Provide. We cannot accept the document is as it does not pass the threshold requirements. Click here to upload a new document from your phone:”

Why would I have the document to upload!! You request it from the government do you not? Also without you telling me how the document (which I have not seen) does not pass the threshold I have no way to respond to your claim.

Escalate!

Escalate!

Escalate!

Fix your processes while you are at it. Asking me to upload a document I do not have access to is ridiculous!
"

The only thing I can think of is a drink driving and speeding fine/suspension about 13 years ago.

Bloody UBER!

MUGATS

You’re surprised a ride share service won’t hire you with a drinking and driving conviction.

Really?

MUGATS

Yes. Really. 13 years ago.
I wouldn’t hire anyone to work AS A DRIVER for me with a drinking and driving conviction. You’ve kind of disqualified yourself from that profession with your choice 13 years ago.

Would you hire a person with a child abuse conviction as a nanny if it happened 13 years ago?

Would you hire an accountant who defrauded his company 13 years ago to manage your finances?

I can only imagine the lawsuit if they hired someone who was convicted of drunk driving and then they went out and did the same thing again and hurt a passenger.

Why would Uber take such a risk? Drivers are a dime a dozen.

Voigtstr

Because it was drink driving 13 years ago... I think for most states in Australia that kind of offence is no longer relevant after 10 years. Nice work comparing drink driving to child abuse. Which one of us is the monster?

MUGATS

Because it was drink driving 13 years ago... I think for most states in Australia that kind of offence is no longer relevant after 10 years. Nice work comparing drink driving to child abuse. Which one of us is the monster?
Hahaha. Of course it’s relevant to a private employer.

How do they know someone isn’t dumb enough to do it again if they did it before.

You seem to think drinking and driving isn’t a big deal. I think it’s basically on par with firing a loaded gun into a crowded room. It’s reckless foolish and shows a complete disregard for human life.

Voigtstr

Driving when not parenting now...

Just realised my maths is bad... it was 23 years ago...
doesn't time fly... also mods please, we have more than three peeps... can we now have an Australian subforum for Hobart?

Jack Malarkey

I believe maybe? https://uberpeople.net/threads/adding-a-city-to-the-world-forums.54770/ says "If you would like a city to be added to the forum, you must have a minimum of three active users in that market. Post a new thread in this forum ('World') with the name of your city as the title. Once you have three forum members in that thread, and in that city, a sub-forum will be created." It might have to be people who have flagged themselves with the location of Hobart.
Voigtstr, I read this to mean that you need at least three members from Tasmania who have been designated as ‘active members’.

‘Active member’ comes after ‘member’ and before ‘well-known member’.

Tasweb and you at present have the designation of ‘member’ rather than ‘active member’. A380 is currently designated as a ‘new member’.

So the three of you will need to make many more posts until each of you becomes an ‘active member’.

Don’t limit yourselves to matters specific to Tasmania. And don’t be shy about venturing into the sub-forums of other cities. In particular, we’d be delighted if you chose to contribute actively to the Canberra sub-forum.

Hobart and Canberra are both smaller cities and do not have a Greenlight Hub. Many of the underlying issues are therefore similar.

So get ACTIVE, young man. :wink:

Last edited:

Who is John Galt?

Author
I wouldn’t hire anyone to work AS A DRIVER for me with a drinking and driving conviction. You’ve kind of disqualified yourself from that profession with your choice 13 years ago.

Would you hire a person with a child abuse conviction as a nanny if it happened 13 years ago?

Would you hire an accountant who defrauded his company 13 years ago to manage your finances?

I can only imagine the lawsuit if they hired someone who was convicted of drunk driving and then they went out and did the same thing again and hurt a passenger.

Why would Uber take such a risk? Drivers are a dime a dozen.
It is very interesting reading this comment in light of the recent events in Tempe, AZ. With the current information available, the driver Rafaela Vasquez, 44, was in control of the self-driving Volvo SUV on Sunday.

She is one of Uber's 'safety drivers' and is a safeguard for the self-driving car. She /he has felony convictions for attempted armed robbery after a plot with a Blockbuster video store co-worker to seize their own shop's taking's at gunpoint. She / he was convicted under her original name Rafael but now identifies as a woman.

Her January 2001 conviction for attempted armed robbery led to a five-year sentence of which she served more than four years, being freed in November 2004.

To paraphrase your words, would you hire a person with an armed robbery conviction, with four years served in prison to be in control of a vehicle at the leading edge of a multi, multi million dollar technological experiment? Apparently Über did.

As you say, "Why would Uber take such a risk? Drivers are a dime a dozen."

Jack Malarkey

Voigtstr, I read this to mean that you need at least three members from Tasmania who have been designated as ‘active members’.

‘Active member’ comes after ‘member’ and before ‘well-known member’.

Tasweb and you at present have the designation of ‘member’ rather than ‘active member’. A380 is currently designated as a ‘new member’.

So the three of you will need to make many more posts until each of you becomes an ‘active member’.

Don’t limit yourselves to matters specific to Tasmania. And don’t be shy about venturing into the sub-forums of other cities. In particular, we’d be delighted if you chose to contribute actively to the Canberra sub-forum.

Hobart and Canberra are both smaller cities and do not have a Greenlight Hub. Many of the underlying issues are therefore similar.

So get ACTIVE, young man. :wink:
Voigtstr, Tasweb and A380, I have even started a Canberra thread that centres on Hobart and the Premier of Tasmania and his dad to make it easier for the three of you on your journey to ‘active member’ status: https://uberpeople.net/threads/direct-flights-between-canberra-and-hobart.249075/.