Hitting A Wall...

Teksaz

Need some advice

I'm 52 driving about 40-42hrs a week. Problem I'm having after about 5-6hrs. of driving, I hit this wall and just can't drive or have absolutely NO desire to keep driving.

I'm an early riser so I like to get out as early as possible (4:00-5:00am). I'm guns a blazing until about 11:00 and it's all down hill from there. I love coffee so I drink coffee from start to finish. I've tried drinking energy drinks, lots of water, eating, taking breaks and walking around parking lots, but nothing seems to get me where I feel comfortable continuing. I don't feel that I'm a danger to my pax, I just don't have any desire to keep driving.

I'm wondering since I drive a stick, if it's just wearing me out. I'm having to do so much more than just driving an automatic. Constantly changing gears, horrible while driving in traffic wearing out that clutch, trying to carry on a descent convo while paying attention to the GPS and changing gears, and so on and so forth. I would love to try driving Goober in an automatic just to see if it made a difference but I don't have that option available to me at the moment. I feel like I'm losing out when I could possibly work a few more hrs. than I am now but I just can't.

Any feedback would be great.

SEAL Team 5

Need some advice

I'm 52 driving about 40-42hrs a week. Problem I'm having after about 5-6hrs. of driving, I hit this wall and just can't drive or have absolutely NO desire to keep driving.

I'm an early riser so I like to get out as early as possible (4:00-5:00am). I'm guns a blazing until about 11:00 and it's all down hill from there. I love coffee so I drink coffee from start to finish. I've tried drinking energy drinks, lots of water, eating, taking breaks and walking around parking lots, but nothing seems to get me where I feel comfortable continuing. I don't feel that I'm a danger to my pax, I just don't have any desire to keep driving.

I'm wondering since I drive a stick, if it's just wearing me out. I'm having to do so much more than just driving an automatic. Constantly changing gears, horrible while driving in traffic wearing out that clutch, trying to carry on a descent convo while paying attention to the GPS and changing gears, and so on and so forth. I would love to try driving Goober in an automatic just to see if it made a difference but I don't have that option available to me at the moment. I feel like I'm losing out when I could possibly work a few more hrs. than I am now but I just can't.

I'm just a year older, but what makes a huge difference is exercise. I know it sounds cliche, but it does help with stamina. Especially the summers in Phx when the heat drains you so quick. Keep up the walking around parking lots. That will always help. Not just for cardio but for joint movement. Besides we sit for many hours at a time. Coffee for 6 straight hours probably not the best. Use natural stimulants like the sugars in fruits. Apples, bananas and grapes are great because they hardly make a mess like the more juicy fruits of oranges and peaches. I've been driving in the valley for 34 years and I would never drive a standard transmission here. Stick shift driving is allot more toll on a body. Both the hand shifting and the foot engaging the clutch. But it could just be the summer sun taking its toll on us. This is not the early '80's when we were in high school. Oh those were the best of times. Reagan in office, hot girls in mini skirts and gas at $1 a gallon.

Mr Magoo

I am thinking to mix things up a bit, maybe pretend to be someone you aren't just to hone up on possible acting skills, because I heard that can turn into a lucrative career. Like maybe a Vietnam Vet, if you look old enough..you could talk a little about Nam, but just a little and you might get a few more cash tips that way. Or maybe you are a part time private detective who advertises on Craigslist, yeah i know that has been done before but that show had such low ratings maybe nobody would pick up on it...could get you hired to tail somebody...

On a serious note, the excessive caffeine and sugar could be doing you in. Get to a doc and test for Diabetes Type 2, because damn that shit will put you into some involuntary narcolepsy and really harsh your energy. Or maybe just go the other way and spike that shit with some Red Bull.

Teksaz

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
They have those $10 a month gyms all over the place now.
Yeah both my sons have memberships at EOS and I can go on a guest pass when ever I want but I don't think physicality is the issue. It may be more of a mental issue. I'm not sure. That's why I question the stick over the automatic. Might be grasping for straws but I would love to find out if I had that option.

CarterPeerless

In my car, I find myself wishing I had a manual just to keep moving. Ass goes numb if you are just sitting in the same place for hours. I think a stick would be better for avoiding DVT.

For me the gym is good physically and mentally. An hour on the elliptical coupled with half a movie - good for a mental reset.

SEAL Team 5

Oh dear lord :rolleyes:
You can talk about Trump all you want. As a Republican I even think Trump is an arrogant a**hole. But when it comes to some of the best presidents ever, Ronald Reagan is up there with George and Abe. With the way whimpy Carter left this nation, being The Commander in Chief on Jan. 20, 1981 was no easy feat. However it was pretty ironic that only hours after President Reagan gave his Inaugural Speech the 52 Americans that were held hostage by Iranians for 444 days were freed. Someone knew that Reagan wasn't going to send two gunships like Carter, Reagan would of sent The 7th Fleet.

CarterPeerless

I was watching a replay of the opening ceremony of the 1980 summer olymplics, put together by a film archivist in Melbourne. When they got to the US boycott by Carter, the archivist had an interesting take on it.

He basically said that Carter's actions inspired the Soviet leadership at the time to press on for years longer, even though they knew the end of the Soviet Union was inevitable. With our boycott and the arming of the afghans, we both prolonged the Soviet Unions existence, and laid the groundwork for 9/11, which ironically lead us to Afghanistan. The archivist posits that Carter is the true cause for 9/11 and all the nonsense of the past 15 years. And without Carter, the Soviet Union would have been dead years earlier.

Right, wrong or otherwise, I thought it was an interesting take. One that I hadn't considered.

SEAL Team 5

I was watching a replay of the opening ceremony of the 1980 summer olymplics, put together by a film archivist in Melbourne. When they got to the US boycott by Carter, the archivist had an interesting take on it.

He basically said that Carter's actions inspired the Soviet leadership at the time to press on for years longer, even though they knew the end of the Soviet Union was inevitable. With our boycott and the arming of the afghans, we both prolonged the Soviet Unions existence, and laid the groundwork for 9/11, which ironically lead us to Afghanistan. The archivist posits that Carter is the true cause for 9/11 and all the nonsense of the past 15 years. And without Carter, the Soviet Union would have been dead years earlier.

Right, wrong or otherwise, I thought it was an interesting take. One that I hadn't considered.
You are dead on. We did arm Osama Bin Laden and the Afghans to fight the Russians. Another sick part, do you know that the terrorist pilots that flew the planes into The World Trade Center and The Pentagon were all once in an Israeli prison for life. President Clinton begged the Israelis to let them be free. Even after the Israeli PM said "we will not free any prisoners with blood on their hands", Clinton still insisted they be set free.

CarterPeerless

Everyone knows the Osama Bin Laden connection, but what I thought was interesting is connection to Carter. When the media were talking about "who" supplied them, it was always "we" supplied them. No individual connection to Carter.

Also, since he pissed off the Soviet leadership, they said eff you we're staying. If he hadn't boycotted the olymplics, the old Soviets would have retired, the final batch of Soviets would have taken over, the afghan occupation would have been much shorter, afghans would be less equipped, and the Cold War would have ended 7-10 years earlier.

taxisuper

Need some advice

I'm 70 and still drive 12 hours a day, five to six days a week. The secret is to find a nice shady spot and take a 20 to 30 minute nap. As Seal Team 5 advised, a little exercise isn't a bad idea either.

elelegido

Need some advice

I'd say go to the doc and get a full blood count (panel) done. A while ago I had similar problems - low exercise endurance and strength. It turned out I had a bad vitamin D insufficiency. Normal level is 30; mine was 12. Doc said that was the lowest she'd ever seen. Long story short, after injections of vitamin D and then megadose supplements the problems are gone.

Might be worth having blood work done.

SEAL Team 5

I'd say go to the doc and get a full blood count (panel) done. A while ago I had similar problems - low exercise endurance and strength. It turned out I had a bad vitamin D insufficiency. Normal level is 30; mine was 12. Doc said that was the lowest she'd ever seen. Long story short, after injections of vitamin D and then megadose supplements the problems are gone.

Might be worth having blood work done.
Absolutely , many people in Phoenix don't even consider vitamin D as an insufficiency because of our sunshine. Very good insight elelegido.

tohunt4me

Need some advice

Split your shift.
Work 6 hours in morning.
Work 6 hours in evening.

Things usually grind to a halt around lunch anyway.

tohunt4me

You can talk about Trump all you want. As a Republican I even think Trump is an arrogant a**hole. But when it comes to some of the best presidents ever, Ronald Reagan is up there with George and Abe. With the way whimpy Carter left this nation, being The Commander in Chief on Jan. 20, 1981 was no easy feat. However it was pretty ironic that only hours after President Reagan gave his Inaugural Speech the 52 Americans that were held hostage by Iranians for 444 days were freed. Someone knew that Reagan wasn't going to send two gunships like Carter, Reagan would of sent The 7th Fleet.
*( please do not miss the double entendre of " Hitting a wall"/" Bring down that wall")

Attachments

Last edited: